“Our favourite hotel in York”

The Churchill Hotel
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We've recently returned from our second stay at this hotel. After visiting York for many years we stumbled on this gem of a hotel earlier this year.
This time we stayed in a standard room which was pleasant and very clean but not as amazing as the four-poster we choose on our first visit (this time was a spur of the moment decision and we didn't need the added luxury for a one night stay).
The staff are very welcoming and the bar cosy but the very best thing about this hotel is the restaurant, food this good normally comes at twice the price!
Well done Churchill, we're a couple of converts.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Booked on 3rd Feb 13 via booking.com 1 double bedroom for 1 night, for two of us for our daughter's graduation. Booking confirmed by booking.com. Spoke to Churchill Hotel reception in March to inquire about additional room, they found the original booking ok, nothing mentioned at that occasion. On the day of the booking, 9th July, after a long drive from London to York, when we arrived at the reception, we were told they don't have a room for us. And then they gave us an unbelievable story that 6 months ago, when we booked, there was a power cut, and they didn't have rooms at the time. But they received our the booking ok after the power was restored. And that they were waiting for 6 months, not telling us there is no room and hoping that there will be a cancellation in the meantime. Only to wait for us to arrive at the reception to tell us, sorry we cannot accommodate you. This was a disgraceful treatment of customers. They sent us to another hotel, with a twin room and much lower standard of accommodation than we expected. Moral of the story - when you book with Churchill Hotel in York, don't be sure you actually have a room.

1  Thank MariaAndAlex
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This hotel is so disappointing. We went to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, which we had mentioned when booking, and, although we certainly did not expect anything like an upgrade, a "happy anniversary" would have been nice. The plus points are its location (so close to the city centre) and the fact that it has free parking. When you pull into the car park, the building looks beautiful, but, believe me, that feeling does not last long. We entered reception and approached the reception desk where a man, who I believe is the owner was sitting. There was another guest talking nearby on a mobile phone. The man on reception waved at us to be quiet and indicated that he was listening to the other guest's conversation. We thus had to stand there feeling stupid for several minutes until this other guest finished checking in. There was no apology for this. The manager then called a member of staff to show us to our room (the hotel is like a rabbit warren). This member of staff did not take our bags but merely ran up the stairs leaving us following behind (we later discovered the hotel has a lift) carrying all our luggage. He showed us to our room, quickly pushed open the door, said 'alright?' and left us struggling there. The room is the smallest I have ever stayed in at a hotel, really tiny. If one of us was getting dressed, the other had to sit on the bed out of the way. There was no air conditioning and the window did not open so we spent all weekend sweltering. Our small window looked straight into another room so we had to keep the curtains shut most of the time. There was only one hand towel between us for the whole weekend, although there were two bath towels. The 'glasses' in the bathroom were plastic cups and were not replaced when we used them so we had nothing to drink out of the next evening. The door did not shut or lock properly so we had to put a chair up against it each night for security. Everything was cheap and nasty,including the bedding, pillows etc. Premier Inns are much better quality than this hotel. Breakfast was awful (although the staff members in the restaurant were nice). Everything was just cheap. I spoke to another guest who was on a package which included dinner and she said this was awful and they were going to go out that night instead. We did not dare complain because the owner/manager was so brusque on check in, and we overheard him being very short with other guests - we heard an awful lot of complaints and he just dismissed them all rudely. To top it all, the package we booked included chocolates - did we get these? No. I could have cried, this was meant to be our 30th wedding anniversary special treat and it was just plain awful. The room was so tiny and hot that we did everything we could to stay out of it as much as possible. Please do not go here, you will regret it.

Room Tip: Be aware rooms are minute.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cruella55
JohnDWallace, General Manager at The Churchill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you obviously did not enjoy your stay in 2012.

I trust that you will understand that I can not accurately make any further comment or even refute your complaints such a long time after your visit especially since they were not brought to our attention at the time.

I can assure you however that we are confident in the quality of the hotel and especially our locally sourced produce served in the restaurant and for breakfast. We have just had our AA inspection which has reconfirmed our 2 AA Rosettes for the restaurant and awarded us the highest merit score of any three star hotel in the city.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had a recent overnight stay at the Churchill and we found it very comfortable. We had a lovely spacious room, the staff were very friendly and efficient, and the breakfast was excellent.

The location of the hotel couldn't be better, being just a short walk to the minster, but away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre. We would happily stay at the Churchill again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Churchill last week. We were visiting York to celebrate and thought that the Churchill looked perfect, with their lovely looking rooms and within walking distance to the city centre.
Upon arrival we found there was no where to park in the hotels car park. The local Rotary club have meetings there on a Friday lunch (conveniently the same time that you can check in) and the car park is full, in fact there are cars parked blocking other cars in and there was certainly no space at all so we had to park down a side street and move our car when the Rotary club had vacated. We didn't find this put us out too much as we managed to find a space around the corner from the hotel.
We walked into the hotel and was impressed by the reception and the impressive bookcase in the main building. The whole hotel was very clean.
After waiting for someone to appear at the check in desk we were checked in and shown to our ground floor room, just behind the reception. Upon opening the door I must say I was rather disappointed. The room was snug for 2 people. There was barely enough room to walk around the side of the bed! The en-suite was again on the small side but was well decorated and very clean. However when using the toilet my arm did touch the towel rail on the wall next to me, luckily the towel rail was never switched on otherwise I would have come away with some serious burns. The room was described as an 'executive double' with a city view - our view was of the car park!!
The room was very warm and with no air conditioning, only a simple heating control which was already turned to the lowest setting. Being on the ground floor and with the sash windows we were unable to sleep with the windows open as there was no safety lock on them. In fact, the next morning we had the window open whilst getting ready and a small child tried to climb in our window!!
Our room was next to the main door to the reception, meaning that everyone had to walk past and the door made a noise every time it closed. So as well as hearing other peoples' conversations, as our door sounded like it was made from paper, we were kept awake during the night and then awoken by the cleaners hoovering and banging the door with their hoover at 7am!
We were room only and didn't fancy paying an extra £10 per person breakfast so we are unable to comment on the food.

Overall I would stay here again at a push (but would look elsewhere first), purely for the location BUT I would not pay over £100 like I did this time, it is not worth it. If parking is a concern for you I would certainly recommend calling the hotel first to ensure they don't have any functions / weddings on as you would not be able to park in the car park.

Room Tip: Our room was classed as an 'executive double' so be careful!! Seems like you have to pay a l...
1  Thank MrsD265
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed at The Churchill for two nights at the beginning of June. We had a larger room to accommodate us and our two children and the room was a fairly good size and clean and tidy. They had however only left us two bath towels and none for our children so I had to ask for extra.

We noticed that the bathroom door seemed to 'stick' a little but we thought nothing of it until the day we checked out. My son used the bathroom whilst my husband and I finished packing and then 10 minutes later I used the bathroom and when I attempted to open the door it would not budge. I hadn't locked the door so knew it wasn't the lock but the actual handle itself. After 5 minutes of trying to open it from the inside and my husband trying to open from the outside we realised that we would need to ask for help. My husband went to reception and a man came back who also attempted to open it and then went back out to call their maintenance team. He returned to advise that they were about 10 minutes away. There were no windows or ventilation in the bathroom and I was getting hot and panicky throughout this time whilst also trying to talk to my 4 year old son who was worried outside.

By the time the maintenance men had arrived and managed to free the door I had been stuck in the bathroom for almost half an hour. I was desperate to get out into the open air.

Once I got home I wrote to the manager of the hotel outlining my worries about the safety of the doors and specifically pointed out that it could easily have been my four year old son who got stuck in the bathroom. I asked him to ensure that the other doors are checked and looked forward to a response. Two weeks later, I had not heard from him. I rang the hotel to check he had not been on holiday and was told that he has not been away at all. I then wrote another letter stating that I was disappointed to have not heard from him and now four weeks later I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING.

I am disgusted that as a manager of a hotel, he has not had the decency to respond to me, He clearly has no concern for the safety of his guests so I would advise you to stay well clear!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SddJ
JohnDWallace, General Manager at The Churchill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

I can assure you that our guest's satisfaction and well being is always at the forefront of our minds.

Occasionally unexpected maintenance issues do crop up but we are proud that we keep the hotel in a very good state of repair. The loosened workings of the lock were fixed and all other fittings checked subsequently, a repeat occurrence is highly unlikely.

Our duty manager looked after you during your stay and was very sympathetic to the problem that you encountered with the door lock. I'm afraid that we considered this problem suitably dealt with at the time hence our unwillingness to enter into further protracted correspondence.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed two nights room only £183.16 and although our room looked onto the railway track it did not deflect on our experience the room was small but perfectly formed décor finished to a very high standard and although en-suite very compact was again an excellent standard. The hotel is in easy walking distance but far enough for peace and quiet.The staff were excellent no problem turning up early and leaving the car in the carpark . Would come back but would like to try out a bigger room and eat in the restaurant.

Room Tip: If you want a bigger room pay a bit more
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple