“Shoe Box”

The Churchill Hotel
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My daughter and I booked a one night stay in this hotel on Thursday 30th May 2013. We booked on Last Minute.Com and opted for their Secret Room option. 2 hotels were offered, one guaranteed 4 star and one guaranteed 3 star. We chose the 4 star at a cost of £84.15. Unfortunately when you book the hotel on Secret Rooms you are not told which hotel you have booked until you pay your money. Therefore you cannot look the hotel up on Trip Advisor before payment. We weren't too concerned about this although I always check on Trip Advisor before booking hotels otherwise. Last Minute did guarantee the hotel to be a minimum of 4 star. The hotel was offered to include a piano bar, which my daughter and I looked forward to. When we arrived at noon on Thursday we were told our room wasn't ready, so we left our cases and went into town. When we returned to the hotel at later that evening our cases were still in the hallway, which we found unusual as cases are often put into your room when once the room is ready. We must have been given the room nobody else wanted. It was tiny and could not have been described as a double by any stretch of the imagination. A single room with a small double bed squeezed in. Incidentally, the piano was certainly visible, but definitely no pianist. We duly complained and we were told by the staff that this was the only room available, the staff also advised us that the hotel is actually only 3 star, not 4 star as described by Last Minute.Com. We checked out and moved into the Hilton Hotel, which is definitely a 4 star. We learned later that the price we had paid for the Secret Room was only £10 less than we would have paid had we booked the usual way. The staff in the Churchill were very unhelpful and I was told that "this is York and the prices here are expensive".........I was born in Yorkshire and have visited York for the past 45 years so did not need this feable excuse. After contacting Last Minute.Com to complain we were told that the 4 star rating was given by Last Minute.Com and is not an official rating but is awarded by Last Minute.Com based on their research. My advice is go to the Hilton if you want a good 4 star hotel. Price was £120 including excellent breakfast for 2, worked out cheaper than the Churchill.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Northeastpair
Write a ReviewReviews (2,030)

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We arranged for a short break away after we got married. When we arrived we got straight into a parking space, great after a 4 hour drive!

At reception we were greeted by a lovely chap who upgraded us to bed and breakfast, as I only booked for room only, he then showed us to the room (Marlborough Suite) and carried my luggage too.

The room was lovely and decorated very well, however there was no WIFI, it's not something I would normally use when I'm away but we wanted to access the Internet to see photos from the wedding and to research York.

The hotel is about 8-10 minute walk from the city centre, so we didn't need to pay any taxis :)

Breakfast was lovely, but there were no beans with the English breakfast. However there was a good selection and service was great.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, a few very minor quibbles but the staff and the room made up for this :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Needed a hotel for 1 night to entertain niece and nephew at University. Excellent choice picking The Churchill. We needed a hotel with car parking and a good restaurant that could cater for gluten free and my milk allergy. I emailed before arriving. On arrival they knew about our needs and did everything possible to help our evening go well. We had several complimentary dishes - including balsamic dip with bread - they even had gluten free bread to accompany the dip all free of charge. The food was excellent, everyone agreed. The hotel room was a little disappointing, smaller than we expected for a superior suite - adequate with a comfortable bed. Basic coffee and tea. No mini bar or fridge.

Room Tip: Lift only available in the newer part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HBHRobina
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel was good to look at from the outside and was even better on the inside, the room was gorgeous, the only thing was the train line running close by which made it noisy during the night.

We stayed here because we went to a wedding held at the registrar office which was only 100 yards on the same street and it was so convenient for the centre of York.

Brilliant

Room Tip: take one opposite side the railway line
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sukie729
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here over the weekend 25th....it is a lovely building and in the perfect spot. the room was very small and too hot walls were paper thin and you can hear those in the nxt room. breakfast was a let down for 2 reasons.....food was bland/ tasteless and we paid for bed and breakfast but on checking out we were charged again for breakfast. staff are lovely and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My partner and myself stayed here n the night of 25.05.13 and could not have been better looked after. We were shown to our Superior room by the very friendly manager and when we came down to explore York The manager was waiting for us with a map of how to get to town centre without us even having to ask. (A small but very nice gesture). The evening meal was beautiful and the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel. We could see York Minster from our window. Thank you. We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We were booked here as part of a tour and were warned the room was small! It was tiny and dark with a bed that I believe was smaller than a double in the U.S. the staff was helpful if not very polished and the breakfast good. tThe location was convenient for sightseeing but the size of the room means I Wpuld not recommend it for a couple.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple