“A convenient place to stay”

Wheatlands Lodge Hotel
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and were satisfied with the quality. We had two different rooms (we decided at the last minute to stay another night) and both were clean and comfortable. The price, which included breakfast, was very reasonable, although I have to say the breakfast was only adequate. It's a family run hotel and the friendly atmosphere is probably partly due to that.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank living-in-germany

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel overnight in July. It was a very good choice of hotel being a ten minute walk to the station and just 15 to 20 minutes to town. Quiet road and well placed to see all the local attractions. Evening meal in the restaurant was of a very good quality however; the choice was very limited to basically two or three options. Having said that we enjoyed our meal. The bar was a real handy addition to a pleasant stay, and a nice couple of pints of bitter went down well after dinner.
The rooms were very clean and fresh crisp linen on the comfortable beds.
The staff was very helpful and offered a complementary coffee or tea on arrival while we waited for our room to be finished. (we arrived early)
Parking was not an issue though I could see it being a tight squeeze if the hotel was full.
In summary I would recommend this very handy hotel at a rate that won’t bust the bank!!
Good for short stays (or longer if inclined)
Book with confidence.

Room Tip: Room we had on the top floor was good with limited views due to slope in roof, but very comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FoxyPhilDerby
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at the Wheatlands for the weekend whilst my mother and father stayed for the week.

I mainly chose this hotel for the price and the distance from the centre of York. Our room was quite small and basic tho to be fair we were only there for the weekend and it was clean and the bed comfortable. I had asked for a ground for a ground floor room for my father is diasabled and their room was large with plenty of room for the electric wheelchair. The only downside was that the shower was over the bath, although you could get a chair from reception.

The staff were all really helpful going above and beyond to make your stay pleasant. The bar prices were we thought very reasonable and so if you want a quiet night in it won't cost the earth.

The breakfast was lovely with a wide selection and breakfast cooked for you, so no hot plates and dried out food. And a proper pot of coffee which was nice.

The evening meal is 4 course, with a starter, soup, main course and dessert followed by tea and coffee. The food was hot a varied and desserts served with real cream not cheap aerosol.
Although the dining room did get busy the staff seemed to cope very well.

It is about a 10 to 15 minute walk up Micklegate to York proper and was well situated to reach all the amenities.

My parents are already planning a return trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BlackpoolCarol
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I found this on the web and booked it as is close to the Town Center and had parking so I would not have to get taxis everywhere but could have a drink. It is clean and presentable although basic. One of the reasons behind the choice was off road parking, but what is not clear is that it is limited (8 spaces?) and the on road parking is again very limited outside the Hotel unless you fancy a ticket. The only other real gripe I have is that WiFi access is very limited - it would not cost a lot to get a bit more coverage.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dogsbodyone
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Nice rooms (fairly basic but clean & comfortable), good breakfasts & lovely staff. We had a great stay at the Wheatlands Lodge with our 2 kids aged 8 & 11. We had 2 rooms - a twin for the kids and a double for me & my husband, not interconnecting but opposite each other on the same landing. This arrangement worked well. The staff were really nice - helped us with arranging the rooms opposite each other and also with taking our heavy cases up to the rooms and back again (the staircases are narrow and there are no lifts). Would recommend the Wheatlands and would certainly go back again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LoveSwanage
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is our 3rd or 4th visit to this hotel and feel that standards are dropping. The rooms are getting tired and bed/pillows were very hard and uncomfortable? We stayed here for two nights and on first morning I had full english. The portion was small, very greasy fried bread and sausage was pink inside. Breakfast is served very early and for only one hour except Sundays when its 30 minutes longer. The second morning I thought I'd try poached eggs (wheatland special) but ordered poached egg and that is what I got - one egg on dry toast!! On previous visits i didn't feel the need to complain. Noise from other guests outside was very inconsiderate as I was woken at 2am and 6am too!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel itself from the front is very pretty and well kept. The parking was free out the back but limited but there was free parking all weekend out the front. The garden of the hotel is beautiful and it's nice to sit outside and enjoy a drink from the bar.
The rooms are quite hot with no air con but they have large windows for ventilation and fans were available from reception. The breakfast was a large selection and we needed a large table for all of us and they got that ready in no time at all.
There was always someone on reception for anything you needed. I went downa few times to ask for champagne buckets and the receptionist insisted on it being brought up rather than me carrying it.
The walk in to town centre was ten minutes and it is a pleasant walk with lots of little shops along the way. The train station is about 7 minutes walk.
The staff really made the visit for me by going above and beyond with the customer service. I would recommend staying here time and time again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends