Stayed at the Judges Lodgings on the 31st Dec 2013 for New Years Eve. Great central location not far from the train station and friendly welcome from a lady in reception who was happy to keep our bags until our room was ready. When we returned later to check into our room, we were welcomed by a very friendly chap. Our room was a lovely and huge with a comfy bed and views over York and a large bathroom. We paid £200 for the room including dinner bed and breakfast which didn’t seem a too bad deal. Dinner was in the adjoining Cellar Bar and Restaurant and the food was very good. My partner had a fish starter and a beef stew type main and I had the steak and all were nice. I did ask if the steak came with vegetables to which I was told yes and asked for no herb butter on the steak but the steak did not come with vegetables and the herb butter was on the steak. The waitress did offer to get me another steak but I wasn’t that fussed and so didn’t take up the offer. As we were both quite full and had a nights drinking ahead of us but deserts were included in the package and sounded delicious, we asked if we could have small half portions. However, when the sticky toffee pudding and chocolate brownie arrived, they were huge. They were tasty but not the smaller size we had asked for. Our stay was perfect apart from breakfast which we found disappointing. There was no fresh orange juice just the horrible concentrated stuff out of a cartoon. I felt that there was also room for improvement with the breakfast. I got the impression that along with the orange juice, the ingredients were not the best quality. The sausage in particular tasted cheap. For a hotel of this ilk, I was expecting quality and perhaps even local produce. Check out was efficient and once again, very friendly and personal. The hotel is now closed for refurbishment which I understand will improve the reception area and create a link from inside the hotel to the Cellar Bar and Restaurant which I am sure will be great. We had a lovely stay and would stay again if the price was right but strongly suggest that they look at improving the breakfast. Also highly recommend York for New Years Eve.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Extensively refurbished in 2014, the Judge's Lodging has 21 individually styled bedrooms, an original vaulted cellar bar,first floor dining and drinking and also 2 fabulous outside areas- quite unique within the centre of York! With a fabulous location in the shadows of the Minster, we offer a warm and friendly Yorkshire welcome to guests from all over the world. *Free Breakfast refers to our Bed and Breakfast rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Judges Lodging reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Judges Lodgings Hotel York
- Judges Lodgings Hotel York
- Judges Lodgings York