“Intimate restaurant with excellent food”
Review of Tassili - CLOSED

Tassili
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Intimate restaurant with excellent food. Having visited Morocco many years ago, this is the first authentic restaurant that I have find in the UK. The food was really delicious and there was a good choice for my my wife who is vegeterian. Some of the other reviews comment on the main courses being £15 - which is on average true. We were nearly put off by this but were so glad that we decided to 'take a chance'. It is well worth the price and one of the best meals out we have had for many years. The owner is also the chef. He came over to chat with us and was very welcoming. He told us about some of the ingredients and how he sources and in some case grows them himself to ensure that they are authentic. Make sure you try the mint tea at the end of the meal!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We came here because it was only minutes from the hotel. We got one of the nicest meals we have eaten in a long time! The food was served beautifully and the tastes were really special. Nothing was too much trouble- we got exactly what we wanted, even if the combination we asked for was not on the menu. My partner is a wheelchair user and the staff were quietly an unobtrusively helpful with the chair. We will be going back!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Me, my wife and my daughter came to visit York on March 9th and we were recommended to come to Tassili. Since we like trying different food, especially after our trip to Morocco, it was very nice to try food in this place. I have to admit, it was superb! The food was of excellent quality, the staff was friendly, the owner came to meet us at the door. The atmosphere was authentic. The design was remarkable! All in all, we would enjoy our night 100% if not the table next to us.
I have read the previous reviews from Mrcolg and Dougalskyblue and I must say this is a complete lie. The owner was very friendly with the customers and he did not say anything like these users mentioned in their reviews. The people who were at that table had eaten all their food and one of them refused to pay, saying it was disgusting and that the owner was disgusting person as well, even though the owner did take the main course out of their bill. It is a shame that such good restaurants as Tassili have to deal with these kind of disrespectful customers. But despite that accident, on our next trip to York we are definitely coming to Tassili again and I strongly recommend this restaurant to any of those who like good service and good food!

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I next to the door which didn't shut properly so I and another guy had to keep getting up to shut it! Food was awful 1 sardine for starter which I struggled to find! Main course was so bad I couldn't bring myself to take it for my dogs. Supermarket naan bread. £15 for main course which I calmly refused to pay ( 1st time ever done that!) owner made a complete idiot of himself by shouting at me across the restaurant and saying he hoped i would get cancer! Toilets dirty and wouldn't flush. I couldn't understand how they had any good reviews until I noticed the grammar. Who's written all the good reviews I wonder?

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited Tassili recently wanting a change from the normal dining experience and food and weren't disapointed. The restaurnat has a lovely atmosphere with dimmed lighting and a great smell of spices. The furnishings make you feel as though you are in North Africa as does the owner who greets all of his diners. The food was very tasty and was of a good size, we left feeling satisfied but not stuffed which for us is great. As far as pricing goes I don't think they are very far away from getting it right and we would definately return. The only negative for me was that the flush in the mens toilets was broken, we didn't mention this at the time so would be unfair to comment further on this. We would recommend this as a chnage from the norm in York