“amazing”

Private Ghost Tour of York
Ranked #3 of 29 Fun & Games in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: 2000 Years of York's Dark Grizzly History! The York Dungeon is a must-see, uniquely thrilling attraction that will take you back to the city's darkest history. See, hear, smell and feel York's stories come to life before your eyes as frighteningly funny characters transport you through time. Surprises await you at The Dungeon... Fear the Vikings as they invade and conquer York. Discover Guy Fawkes' Gunpowder Plot and what really happened that November night. And step inside the carriage to the Knavesmire, where one of history's most infamous Highwaymen has returned... Visit our website for more information on opening times. Plus book your tickets online to save money and guarantee entry!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I visited with my daughter there was just the two of us. It's very dark which feels a bit off putting at first however the darkness is essential for the whole experience. Audience participation is required We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed ourselves. The staff and actors are brilliant. I have never been before always put it off and now I feel like I have been missing out for years.

really enjoyed ourselves

Write a ReviewReviews (3,837)
All reviews
in 107 reviews
"witch"
in 120 reviews

Reviewed May 11, 2014

York Dungeon is well worth a visit. If you book on line you can get this at a cheaper price. Its a great travel through York's history with actors playing roles and encouraging you to be part of the scenes which is amusing. This is a great fun way to spend time in York.

1  Thank telali2
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We had a family day at York and my children, both young adults wanted to visit the dungeons, I was apprehensive but it was much better then I expected, The actors did a good job and it was fun. It is similar to London Dungeons but with York history.

1  Thank Smeets P
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Visited the dungeons for my 4 th time over the yrs !! This time with my 70+ parents...its bn different every time!!! Love the Jester on the door ... Who is really in part!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 9, 2014

As two adults (39 and 50) we were probably on the older side to be visiting the dungeon, which is really aimed at kids. But we entered into it with a sense of fun. It was totally different to how I remembered it as a child, with all the modern technology they have now and the brilliant actors who pop up along the way. I liked it though and it was definitely a bit of fun on my birthday. The whole experience took maybe an hour - you are in the dark all that time, which can get quite oppressive and claustrophobic (what do you expect from a dungeon!). We had a two-for-one voucher, which made the astronomical entrance fee more bearable. We would have felt a bit aggrieved if we'd paid full price.

1  Thank Happybunny666