“Much improved”

Private Ghost Tour of York
Ranked #3 of 26 Fun & Games in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: 2000 Years of York's Dark Grizzly History! The York Dungeon is a must-see, uniquely thrilling attraction that will take you back to the city's darkest history. See, hear, smell and feel York's stories come to life before your eyes as frighteningly funny characters transport you through time. Surprises await you at The Dungeon... Fear the Vikings as they invade and conquer York. Discover Guy Fawkes' Gunpowder Plot and what really happened that November night. Will you crack under the pressure of the Torturer and his intimidating instruments? Step inside Castle Prison and delve into Dick Turpin's infamous crimes. Visit our website for more information on opening times. Plus book your tickets online to save money and guarantee entry!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I visited in September 2012 after a gap of about 12 years. I was really impressed with the improvements they have made, It's a credit to York and well worth a visit

1  Thank The-Bray

Reviewed October 9, 2012

York Dungeon is great fun, make sure you pre-book online for cheaper admission.

There were 7 of us that went (3 adults & 4 children aged 8,9,11,13)

As we had booked in advance online we got to go in the VIP que rather than the long que of people just turning up. We were at the front of the que, and only had a short wait (around 5 minutes), and we were entertained by a jester who was calling the other que the peasant que, and generally making fun of us all! It was great fun and the kids loved him!

When we were let in we were lead by the jester to the admission desk where they then take your picture with your group with one of you in the stocks and the rest of you are given gruesome props! Bare in mind as soon as you go in it is very dark!
Then you are lead to a small waiting room with a holographic strange man, while you wait for a certain amount of people to go round together. Once there was around 20 of us someone came to collect us to take us to the first room.

To sum it up, you are lead through various rooms with different themes, all the rooms are very dark, some even completely dark at some points. The staff are very good, they play the part very well, the whole thing is very interactive, they will ask you to join in but they by no means force you. If you say no they will happily move on to someone else, but joining in is all part of the fun! Out of us, 4 of us were 'picked on' and it was great fun.
There are people trying to scare you in every room, people jump out and even get right in your face in the dark! There are lots of effects as well to try to scare you. I remember in the last room when you sit down and the lights go completely out someone came right in my face for when the lights came on, and even though I knew he was there I still s**t myself! And I burst out laughing, and he just stared at me! Very good acting!!

The younger children in our group were scared at first,clinging on to the adults, but after a couple of rooms they were loving it! Standing at the front by themselves!

The location is great as well, the centre of York so plenty of cafe's, shops, restaurants etc nearby.

Useful info:

If you pre-book online you get to go in before the huge que of people who are queuing on the day.
It is a fairly cheap day out, there were 7 of us that went (3 adults & 4 children) and I think it cost us around £80.

There is no car park, and if you are not local like we weren't you may struggle finding somewhere to park. As it is in the centre of York there only seem to be overcrowded expensive car parks, especially if you go on a Bank Holiday as we did. We drove round in circles for 15 minutes before ending up in some dodgy looking parking warehouse!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Was visiting York last year in March and we stayed in the NOVOTEL and next door to the hotal we kept hearing screams in the building near. We walked over to the building and it had the dungeons written on the door. We deceided to go in and give it a try. It was scary but amazing. The actors talked as if that was there real lives. You must go if you are staying in York!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

York Dungeons can be quite expensive if there are a few of you in a group, but entertaining for those who enjoy this sort of thing. Not my favourite place in York, but then that’s a personal issue as I'm not into blood, guts and gore - I'm more a ghost walk kinda gal.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I visited the dungeon many years ago as a child and loved it, it was all wax work models with boards explaining everything so I was really looking forward to a return visit what a disapointment. It is way over priced well over 30 pounds for two adults, all of the models have been replaced with terrible hammy over actors that shout and jump out at you its way to dark to actually see anything much some parts are a bit clostrophobic to especially the part with the burning and smoke found it quite hard to breathe was glad to get out in to the fresh air. Bring back the wax works save your money and go to the castle museum instead.