“Fabulous re incarnation of an old Victorian street”
Review of York Castle Museum

York Castle Museum
Ranked #2 of 204 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Famous for its collections of costume, textiles, military and social history, York Castle Museum brings history back to life. Wander through the Victorian streets, venture into the prison cell of notorious highwayman Dick Turpin and discover what life was like on the front line in the First World War. There's something for everyone at York Castle Museum.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fabulous re incarnation of an old Victorian street”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Walking down 'Kirkgate' is akin to travelling back in time or wandering onto a period film set. There is fantastic attention to detail, from the hansom cab on the cobbled street to the re created shops staffed by actors in full costume, regaling the passing punters with tales of their trade. Enchanting stuff!

Great shop if you are looking for tasteful souvenirs and presents from York too.

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
York, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Loads to see (but makes you feel old!)”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Being born and brought up in York, I have visited this museum many times and still love to return when I can. The room sets are particularly interesting, and there are always people saying, "We had one of those!" or something similar.

There is so much to see that you would need several visits to take everything in.

Last time I went, I agreed to Gift Aid my entrance fee, being a UK taxpayer, and was told that I could visit as many times as I wanted for the next 12 months at no extra charge. What a bonus!

Visited February 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were looking for something to kill some time and we decided to take a trip here. It had some interesting exhibitions and we liked the Victorian street.We also found the prison interesting as well, we had planned to visit it but hadn't realised it was part of the museum.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Franki267
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A must see more than once!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Fantastic day out for any age group. Give yourself plenty time to look around here as there is genuinely tons to see.
The first time I visited here I sat through the classroom experience. Wonderful stuff!!
Best day out in York!

Visited March 2013
london
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great for the young and old”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My fiance and I are both in our mid twenties and we enjoyed this museum very much. This museum shows you all the victorian life and even old prison cells. So much to see and even a victorian road in the middle of the museum. Had a really good day out here.

Visited January 2014