“Trip back in time” 5 of 5 bubbles

York Castle Museum
Ranked #2 of 199 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Famous for its collections of costume, textiles, military and social history, York Castle Museum brings history back to life. Wander through the Victorian streets, venture into the prison cell of notorious highwayman Dick Turpin and discover what life was like on the front line in the First World War. There's something for everyone at York Castle Museum.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 210 helpful votes
“Trip back in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were fascinated seeing what living in York was like 200 years ago. In particular the street scenes are quite outstanding. Other sections of the museum had an interesting exhibition of the 60s.
Thought it a bit odd that there seem to be nothing about the big part the church played in peoples lives at that time.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
West Yorkshire
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Lovely blast from the past !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We wanted to take our 9 yr old son out yesterday for Easter Monday ( 1/ 4 /13 ) somewhere indoors & educational but fun as the cold weather is lingering on. I suddenly thought of the castle museum in York which I had visited with my Mum when I was a kid. It proved to be a very enjoyable couple of hours for all 3 of us. My husband & I thought it was very good value at £8.50 each adult but with our son going free. The Victorian street of shops was just as I remembered it, very interesting to browse round, it brings history to life with it's sounds, smells etc. My hubbie & I really enjoyed spotting toys from our childhood & showing them to our son in the toy stories gallery. The prison museum bit was a bit spooky & dark but our son likes Horrible Histories so it wasn't too scarey for him. My son & I enjoyed having a skip in the outdoor playground ! The sixties gallery was a bit before our time but our son loved the tv clip of old Dr Who. Altogether I would definately recommend this museum for all age groups.

Visited April 2013
tetney
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Takes you back every generation. Something for everyone.
Grandson loved the cell Dick Turpin was in before he was hanged.
Good social history museum

1 Thank kayerich
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Bit naff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

They need to change the name of this Museum as it has nothing to do with any castle that was in York....in fact it didn't seem to really be about York at all!
Definitely not worth the money!!

1 Thank Kirsty R
Lancashire
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Take advantage of 2 museums offer for £10 for 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Had a day out in York and thought we would revisit YCM as it had been a few years since the last time.

Went online to get current admission charge and noted they had an offer where you paid £10 each adult which allows you to visit this museum and the Yorkshire Museum.It is valid for all 2013 and you can revisit any time during that year.

We spent so long in YCM as there had been a number of new additions since our last visit. We will be returning at some point to do the other museum.

This offer means we will have saved £6 each to do the 2 museums.

PS, Additional note. We were travelling by coach which left from Gillyeygate. Thought we would use the tollets before we set off. Their charge is 40p. As it was 1st April we thought it was an April Fools joke. Refused to pay that. What a rip off.

Visited April 2013