“Really interesting”

York Castle Museum
Ranked #2 of 209 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Famous for its collections of costume, textiles, military and social history, York Castle Museum brings history back to life. Wander through the Victorian streets, venture into the prison cell of notorious highwayman Dick Turpin and discover what life was like on the front line in the First World War. There's something for everyone at York Castle Museum.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have to confess to being a fan of museums but the Castle Museum in York is outstanding. The history of York from ancient times until the present is presented extremely well with the Victorian era and the 1960s covered very well. Also you can return as many times as you like for a whole year for the price of one entry ticket.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,498)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

A fantastic museum that's good for all ages, easy to interact with and great for the price! There are so many diverse exhibits focusing on a different historic era and different ideas. The exhibits are changed around a lot too so it's worth re-visiting.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

So many exhibits here, you are taken through all times, eras, ages, events and cultures.

The highlight is the Victorian Street which has all the old-fashioned shops to explore and is worth taking time to wonder around.

Other exhibits here include 19th Centry middle-class houses, births & deaths, Chinese culture, childrens toys, WWII, farming in Yorkshire, the 70's, military weapons, fashion through the ages, torture......to name a few!

Whilst the exhibitions are interesting, there is little flow between them and it feels like each segment has a separate curator without thought given to how sections may interlink.

There is a small cafe and gift shop in the foyer which is good for a break between the two wings of the museum.

Worth visiting.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I loved all the victorian rooms and I was particularly amazed by the victorian street. The staff at the desk and the dressed man who talked to me about the horse carriages and rooms was very friendly and informative and told me some very interesting facts as we went around all the shops fronts. Loved the many rooms decorated in very specific eras - a journey through time.

My only criticism is that the woman who worked behind the gift shop counter accused my partner of not paying whilst he was visiting the toilet on the way out. We had the tickets on us so there was no need for the rudeness. We were very insulted and mentioned this to one of the staff members behind the paying kiosk. Unfortunately for my partner, being insulted tainted his experience of the museum which is why I have decided to write the review. I was going to purchase a number of items from the gift shop (selecting gifts as my partner went to the toilet) but after the direct comments spoken to my partner, I decided we should just leave. In summary this is a good place to visit with some wonderful staff and amazing things to see, just remember to have your ticket with you incase you are questioned in the gift shop!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The museum is chock-full of exhibits, but unfortunately a lot of it is fairly unengaging and in need of an update, especially the section to the right of the cafe, where you seem to spend a lot of time going through a rat run up and down stairs.

I used to work in the media sector making engaging and interactive exhibits for museums, and York Castle Museum is unfortunately miles behind the best in the sector in this regard.

Quite an old fashioned museum, which is a shame.