“Haven in the city”
Review of Cabra Verde Restaurant - CLOSED

Cabra Verde Restaurant
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Situated right in the centre of York on one of York's oldest snickleways this chic and stylish cafe-restaurant resides in a grade 2 listed Victorian building.The building is classically double fronted and from the front door you are lead into a a modern minimalist space which has 34 covers and features stylish tulip tables with deceptively comfortable panton chairs. During the day the restaurant is light, bright and airy and in the evening is candlelit for more intimate dining.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Haven in the city”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just to echo the other positive reviews- this is a little peaceful treasure of a place.12 different tapas sampled by 4 of us at lunchtime - all were the real thing and a delight. Owner is clearly an enthusiast for best ingredients. Charming and efficient service. A personal campaign - sherry! 4 different ones are offered which is good as far as it goes, but with a place as excellent as this I do hope the owner can spread wings and really investigate and offer the brilliant and inexpensive sherries out there.That would make it perfect.

• Visited February 2013

“Little Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stumbled across this on Valentines night when we decided to go off the beaten track. Luckily for us they had a lovely little table tucked away in the corner, with a pared down menu for the evening and a warm, relaxing atmosphere.

We had the prawns and tart to start with which were beautifully cooked, followed by the chorizo butter steak and quince Eton mess. The portions were perfect in size so that we felt satisfied but not overly full! We also decided on a Kir Royale to go with our starters and the house red for the main course, this was great, just like when abroad and the local table wine is excellent.

Croquettas, Chorizo, mahon cheese, honey & figs, prawns and spinach, baby octopus with black pudding and apple, frittata and many, many more!

The waitress was very sweet and made everyone in the restaurant very welcome and well looked after, she was later joined by Cecilia, the Portuguese chef, who was also charming and a pleasure to meet. This all made for an excellent evening and we chose to book my husbands upcoming birthday party there. We had a brilliant evening with a mixture of tapas and deserts!! Friends, wine, champagne and laughter!!!

• Visited February 2013
Scarborough
“The best tapas and cake at the best prices - so tasty!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Me and my mum happened upon de'Clare on a recent day out in York. Mum spotted a sewing shop and I was distracted on the way by a leg of jamon in the window of de'Clare.

We had a quick browse of the menu and we entered and were seated. I chose five different tapas dishes and mum had a steak sandwich. We shared pretty much everything, the prawns were cooked perfectly, the mahon cheese twinned with sweet green figs and honey was simply beautiful. The tomato sauce around the perfectly cooked vine leaves was unbelieveably tasty and the artisan bread was perfect for mopping up all the juices and sauces. The jamon with quince paste and vinegar was just as good as anything I had when I visited Madrid.

Nothing was too much trouble, the staff were very polite and the prices were no more than anywhere else we would have gone. I got a meringue to take home (no more room) and that was so crispy and chewy, perfection.

So next time I'm in York I will be going here, no question. I recommend if you like food that tastes amazing and is perfect for sharing, you must give de'Clare a try.

1 Thank Emma W
London, United Kingdom
“excellent place found tucked away”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Attended the venue yesterday for dinner. great ambience candle lit table and fantastic tapas range and delicious. The waitress looked after us with excellent service and the chef came and spoke to us after the meal which was a great touch.
Really loved the meal and experience.
Highly recommend to visit and great value for money!

York, United Kingdom
“hidden treasure indeed”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

As I live in York I often have the chance to sample one the many cafes there. In the last year I have found my self returning to de'Clare several times, most times for a coffee half-way through a strenuous shopping trip! I have taken both my 20 something children for a catch up breakfast when they are back in York, went for scones and tea with my husband on a Sunday afternoon and I must own up to a couple of solitary yet soothing lunches there: the homemade soups are different and delicious. Off the beaten track yet central, de'Clare is welcoming despite its stark, contemporary interior (white trendy tables and chairs, pale grey walls). I normally would prefer somewhere with rustic character but, actually, I find this bright and airy place quite restful. It never feels cramped, the tables are round and large and in fact, it oozes character: Whether you want a drink, a snack or a meal the menu is succinct but appealing and it does not pretend to be everything to everyone!
Lately there has been a growing Spanish / tapas feel to the place but what first attracted me to what is initially a non-nondescript space in a forgotten street was the window. .beautiful and inviting homemade whole cakes and gigantic meringues sitting on random piles of random cookery books. . just loved that and missed that window shopping element yesterday when I popped in for a yummy coffee. I look forward to tasting the evening fare at de'Clare!