“educational”

and up
York Walking Tour including York Minster
Ranked #18 of 209 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: Step back in time when you visit this 18th-century town house, one of the finest examples of rococo decoration in England with its famous Terry collection of furniture and clocks.
Reviewed January 10, 2012

a real insight to days gone by. beautiful decor and furniture. we were shown round by a very informative guide. a good few hours spent.

All reviews
"georgian times"
in 10 reviews
"furniture collection"
in 8 reviews
"restored to its former glory"
in 8 reviews
in 20 reviews
"interesting visit"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed January 8, 2012

A very good example of an upper class town house. Beautifully decorated with knowledgeable staff, it provides interesting insight into the life of the richer families of York in the past.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

I liked the way in which one can walk around the house and feel as if it is still lived in - most especially referring to the kitchen which even features hares hanging from the ceiling! I also appreciated the various volunteers who were ready to help us with interesting details about the house, even though we had not bought the official guide.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

My mother and I went on my birthday to look round. We had an enthusiac guide though I would have liked a little more time to look around each room after he had spoken. He made it interesting. They had a very Large pastry decorated pie for breakfast wow!. the dining room was set out with an iced sugar moulded grand ittliaian garden. beautiful. the whole attmosphere was lovely beuatiful decorations both rael and artificial. the only drawback was the lack of a life for those of us less able it took me a while to climb the stairs. though the guide did send me ahead to get a good start on the others. we then had lunch in a nice cafe justdown the road with my sister. fairfax house would be nice if it had a chocolate/coffee/tea room just selling cakes,scones,toasted teackes and drinks
or the odd baking from the area. nice gift shop good varity of gifts and freindly staff.