“Wonderful”

and up
York Walking Tour including York Minster
Ranked #17 of 210 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: Step back in time when you visit this 18th-century town house, one of the finest examples of rococo decoration in England with its famous Terry collection of furniture and clocks.
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I visited Fairfax House with my ten year old daughter and the two of us were completely enthralled by it. The volunteers who are in each room of the house are both friendly and knowledgeable and are more than happy to explain the contents of each room and give an insight into the family who owned the house. They were all very good at finding pieces of information that would be of interest to my daughter and she loved her visit there.

The house itself is beautifully recreated to show it as it would have been in Georgian times and the price on entry is very reasonable, especially as children are free. Not only that but if you hold on to your receipt you can visit at any time for a year after your first visit.

Well worth a visit.

"georgian times"
in 10 reviews
"furniture collection"
in 8 reviews
"restored to its former glory"
in 8 reviews
in 20 reviews
"interesting visit"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2011

Fairfax house is an absolutely delightful attraction in the heart of York. From the minute we entered there was a warm welcome and all the volunteers where so knowledgeable, friendly and interesting in the information that they imparted to us. The ceilings in every room were amazing, and the furniture from the Terry collection was fantastic. So good to see original furniture from the period and exquisite silver in the dining room and in the museum.

Guided tours are on Mondays which we missed, which was a pity, but we plan to join a tour on our next visit when there are some exhibitions later in the year.

2  Thank Lucilou_11
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I believe I was in the same tour as the previous reviewer. I, on the other hand, thought our guide was very personable and informative. The tour lasts for an hour, and in order to keep this time frame, he did have to keep us moving. Your ticket allows you to return for a year, so you can certainly come back to look in more detail. There were two young children on the tour that he tried very hard to engage so that they were not bored, and I must say he had pretty good success. I would not miss this house, if you've enough time in York.

1  Thank TravelcrazyHaxbyYork
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We have been touring Georgian houses around GB and have to rate the experience at Fairfax House not worth your money or hassle. There's load more to do in York. Went on Monday because I wanted to take advantage of the guided tour. Not a pleasant experience as the guide rushed us through, refused to answer questions if he didn't feel like it (You can buy a book downstairs we wrote about our furniture if you wish to know what that desk is for, Madam!) and got offended when I looked through the guide book I bought to see if I could learn there's anymore information about the room he was rushing us through. Turned out if we want to look around we would need to come back another day. Not sure why they offered the tour separately this way. The guidebook was mainly about the renovation process so be aware, unless you're into learning about it.

The whole visit was so unpleasant and so unlike the other Georgian Houses we've toured (Edinburg, Bath are two of the best!) I would not recommend anyone with an interest in Georgian period make a special trip to York for this, or if you do visit, don't bother with the tours. Didn't bring children and glad I didn't, despite 16 and under free.

4  Thank RatherTravel00
See more reviews
Reviewed November 13, 2010

The thing I remember most about my visit here (a few days ago) is how enthusiastic and helpful the staff (I think volunteers?) here were. In every room there was somebody who just seemed desperate to tell you as much as they possibly could about the house and the Fairfax family as well as the work done to restore the house. They realy did make a great difference as otherwise we would probably have left thinking it was ok but nothing special. Instead we left having had a thoroughly satisfying experience.

The house is a beautiful Georgian piece of art in itself. The ceilings are simply stunning. When you hear about what had been done to the house before the restoration works it seems amazing that this is still here to see at all. You do however have to remember that the furniture is not that which belonged to the Fairfax family when they lived here. It is authentic Georgian furniture and beautiful in its own right and has been put here to help recreate the idea of what teh house would have been like, but not the stuff originally here.

If you are visiting Jorvik or the York Castle Museum this is a great place to add to your "to do" list.

2  Thank zadunajska8