“Fantastic”

and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 205 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: For a fantastic day out for the whole family in York, visit the award winning National Railway Museum. Get up close to over 300 years of fascinating history in York's only National Museum. Explore our giant halls full of trains and railway legends including the majestic Duchess of Hamilton, step on to the futuristic Japanese Bullet Train or marvel at the stunning opulence of the Royal Trains. Get on board awe-inspiring locomotives, watch our engineers at work in the Workshop, uncover hidden treasures in the Warehouse and make tracks to the outdoor area. The children can let off steam in our outdoor play area, and our miniature railway ride is perfect for the whole family. Every weekend and throughout the school holidays, the kids can enjoy a lively programme of events, including science shows, story telling, steam rides, craft activities and special events. Please note that calls to our listed phone number (0844...) cost 4.25p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
Reviewed March 20, 2009

The national railway museum is an absolute treasure. There is so much to see and to do, and there isn't a type of train you cannot see! It is a fantastic experience being able to sit on bullet train without having to travel to Japan to do so! Everywhere is clean and tidy, and all the staff are really keen to assist you if you want more information on the exhibits. The mini railway is perfect for families with children, and there is entertainment outside of the main attractions all the time. The gift shop is superb. All I would say is that the food there is a little over priced, so if you are taking the family and don't want to spend a lot of money then it might be a good idea to take a picnic and make use of the picnic areas. That said, entrance is free, so you could splash out!

There are newer reviews for National Railway Museum

Reviewed February 21, 2009

National Railway Museum is the best
others suck

1  Thank TeewatidManchester
Reviewed December 28, 2008

I visited the National Railway Museum with my family, we also visited Yorvik. I think that the National Railway Museum was not very good and that Yorvik was much better. I did not like the trains and thought it smells funny.

I think Yorvik is a better choice of a place to go in York.

1  Thank SamDavids
Reviewed December 18, 2008

Took visiting family to the National Railway museum last weekend. It was a cold and rainy day and the place was far too busy, and very, very cold.

The trains were poorly displayed, poorly explained and I was very disappointed, as were my visitors, who thought I was crazy to take them to such a poor museum.

5  Thank MisterPotter
Reviewed December 12, 2008

My husband and I have been to York twice, and both times we have visited the National Railway Museum. It is a real treat for train enthusiasts (like my hubby) and non-enthusiasts (like yours truly). Both times, we have seen young and old alike, and everyone seems to really enjoy the displays.

First of all, obviously, are the trains. From the bullet train, which you can board and watch a little film, to the royal trains used by Queen Victoria and King Edward VII. I liked the royal trains personally, simply because it is like stepping back through time. The decor is magnificent, padded ceilings and walls and the many switches on the walls. My husband liked the Evening Star and the Mallard. He is fond of the huge steam engines, and was thrilled to be able to see these up close.

The other thing that is fabulous is the warehouse. God I could spend hours looking at all the collections they have from over the years. It is quite fascinating to wander through the massive room packed full of plaques, old coffee and tea sets, train sets, uniforms, signs, signals and anything else you can think of..

If you are planning on visiting York, you really should go to the Railway Museum. It's free to get in, and they have two cafes and a museum shop. This time around, we noticed they had added a library of books upstairs. From children's books about the railway to specific books about certain lines, disused stations (my favourite one), and train companies. You can easily spend hours in this museum and not get bored!

1  Thank Nefi