“Hats off to NMR”

and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 209 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: For a fantastic day out for the whole family in York, visit the award winning National Railway Museum. Get up close to over 300 years of fascinating history in York's only National Museum. Explore our giant halls full of trains and railway legends including the majestic Duchess of Hamilton, step on to the futuristic Japanese Bullet Train or marvel at the stunning opulence of the Royal Trains. Get on board awe-inspiring locomotives, watch our engineers at work in the Workshop, uncover hidden treasures in the Warehouse and make tracks to the outdoor area. The children can let off steam in our outdoor play area, and our miniature railway ride is perfect for the whole family. Every weekend and throughout the school holidays, the kids can enjoy a lively programme of events, including science shows, story telling, steam rides, craft activities and special events. Please note that calls to our listed phone number (0844...) cost 4.25p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Bring my son here all the time its a brill day out for us as his train obsession is unreal. Its a brilliant site and will be bringing him this year as soon as the weather gets better thanks again.

Write a ReviewReviews (14,325)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am not a big train lover, yet found this really interesting. Queen Victorias carriage was very opulent for the time

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I came here with the family and we all found the museum really interesting, I wish I could have spent longer here. I would recommend 3-4 hours if you get chance. Wonderful value (free entry) and very helpful "Explainers" available to assist and inform.

5  Thank Mikeo111
Reviewed February 11, 2013

For my husbands birthday I wanted to take him somewhere that he has never been before. He likes trains and after some pointed questions I found out that he had never been before. I remember going as a child of about 11 years old with my mum and dad when my dad was a train guard and so was looking forward to going back. My husband really enjoyed the whole day and so did the kids. They loved being able to get up close to the trains. We had lunch there which was lovely although on the expensive side. The staff were very friendly and the volunteers that run the mini train ride were so very accommodating. Not being a train person I wasn't expecting to enjoy the day as much as I did.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

free attraction very interesting even if you are not into trains can spend a good half day whatever the weather