“donation” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 199 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: For a fantastic day out for the whole family in York, visit the award winning National Railway Museum. Get up close to over 300 years of fascinating history in York's only National Museum. Explore our giant halls full of trains and railway legends including the majestic Duchess of Hamilton, step on to the futuristic Japanese Bullet Train or marvel at the stunning opulence of the Royal Trains. Get on board awe-inspiring locomotives, watch our engineers at work in the Workshop, uncover hidden treasures in the Warehouse and make tracks to the outdoor area. The children can let off steam in our outdoor play area, and our miniature railway ride is perfect for the whole family. Every weekend and throughout the school holidays, the kids can enjoy a lively programme of events, including science shows, story telling, steam rides, craft activities and special events. Please note that calls to our listed phone number (0844...) cost 4.25p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
Wigan, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“donation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

always worth a trip to the museum and i know that it can not be run without the donations of people who want to preserve the age of train travel. I don't mind donating but to have some jumped up young man in my face saying you haven't been booked in got me quite annoyed perhaps he hadn't been in the job too long who knows anyway the other lady was very approachable and if i were him i would take a leaf out of her book needless to say we did not stay too long and won't be returning for a very long time

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Margate, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A day is not long enough”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I accompanied my husband on the trip and he is a rail enthusiast and loved it. I intended spending some time with him and then going into the city for some retail therapy! It did not happen! There was so much to do and see that we were there from opening to closing time and my husband went back the following morning. On my day I learnt and understood the workings of a steam engine following and explanation from one of the explainers in from of a train which had been cut in half- that is some feat!!!!! A great day. It does say that entry is free and donations welcome but the way entry works pressurises people into paying. I would have donated anyway but would have preferred a quoted entrance fee rather than what amounted to pressurisation.

Burnley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Enjoyable day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Enjoyed the 4hrs we spent here a very likeable day with plenty of things to see and do. Children will love all the activites on offer and their is also a small park.

NORFOLK
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“National Railway Museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is an excellent museum to bring the family to as it is free entry but they ask for a small donation. It is worth a visit as there is lots to see and any train lover will be in seventh heaven..

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Not what I expected, slightly disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had planned this trip for a while and were dropped off by the taxi at the entrance. It might say free at the door, but you will pay something, it left a very poor taste in my mouth to be muscled out of cash in such a way. Left to my own devices, I would probably have donated £ 10, but after such a poor welcome, we bought the cheapest book we could. We headed for the café in the Great Hall, and although busy we soon had a nice sandwich and salad, some cake and a hot mug of tea, and then started to walk the halls. I have poor eyesight and I found the whole place poorly lit, and therefore a challenge. Dark cabs and carriages, strange pools of light that served no function and poor signage did not help. I had especially come to see the A4 Pacific Dwight D Eisenhower, and it sat covered in dust in a corner. All in all, not very impressive, surely we can do better that this or was it an off day, I doubt it, would I come back, no, not to be fleeced at the door like that, what must visitors to our country think?

1 Thank Magickpyggie