“Very good restaurant in York.”
Review of Cafe Rouge - York Coney Street - CLOSED

Cafe Rouge - York Coney Street
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: With a combination of delicious food, great wines and a real ambience, Café Rouge has embodied the style and je ne sais quoi of French dining since it opened way back in 1989. Now with over 90 sites across the country it's just the place to mull over the morning papers with a cafe au lait and a croissant, pop in for a spot of lunch, share a post-work drink or relax over an evening meal. The menu covers a range of French classics from croques and baguettes, ideal for a quick and easy snack, to more substantial fare such as steak frites and boeuf bourguignon. Likewise, the wines are predominately French; many made by lesser known producers, and provide the perfect accompaniment to the food on offer. If it's been a while since you've paid a visit, the team think you'll be surprised by how much you've missed them. No hassle, no rush, no skinny- decaff-double-shot-to-go, just a vibrant atmosphere that moves with your moods throughout the day.
Driffield, United Kingdom
“Very good restaurant in York.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Up to the usual Café Rouge standard. Very good food and service in a busy,bustling astmosphere. Super for lunch before a matinee at the Opera House.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious food”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I visited the restaurant early on a weekday evening and was served promptly. The food tasted delicious. The only disappointment was the attitude of the waiter who could have been a bit more charming.

York, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent, friendly service”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The atmosphere and staff all very friendly, didn't have to wait long for service and food perfect, will definitely be returning.

Lincoln
“Passable at best”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We arrived on Saturday morning for breakfast and were ignored by staff so found our own table. Despite there only being 6 or 7 other tables with people seated there we waited 10 minutes plus for someone to come and give us a menu. My cappuccino was lukewarm and I wasn't asked if I wanted any sugar or anything with it and there was none available on the table. My omelette was edible but bland and myself and my boyfriend were not offered any sauces and again there were none on the table. I tend not to add salt to my food but I had to add it to this. The onions with my omelette were very nice that is the only good thing. The service was very slow but the staff were friendly. The waiter serving us tried to take my boyfriend's plate before he had finished eating as well.

• Visited May 2013
York, United Kingdom
“NEVER AGAIN”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant should be closed down or all the management team replace with immediate effect for it ruins the good name of Cafe Rouge. I took a group to this restaurant on Bank Holiday Monday and we arrive to a not so busy restaurant. We were shown to our table and left wondering for 15 minutes or so. The managere arrived with menus and gave us a list of what was off the menu - left very little else and should have heeded the warning and left.

15 minutes later a waiter came to take our order - we ordered drinks first and a few nibbles. The manager came and took our order. The Bread and Olives were deposited on the table with no side plates. I fetched our own!

The meals finally arrive looking like canteen meals with everything on the plate all overcooked and looking so unappetising. We were minus the child's meal and extra french fries. The manager who took the order just argued that we had not placed an order although the drink from the Children's menu was delivered.

No staff came anywhere near to ask about our meal or experience. What a bad experience.

WE WILL NEVER GO HERE AGAIN. The final insult was a huge bill.

• Visited May 2013