“A Great Fun Afternoon - to be had by all”
Review of York Cat Trail

York Cat Trail
Ranked #13 of 59 Tours in York
More attraction details
Owner description: FREE FUN IN YORK... aka The Fabulous York Cat Trail provides both visitors and locals with the opportunity to find and photo the numerous statues of cats which are on York's old buildings. These were put there to frighten away rats and mice. The statues were also thought to ward off wandering evil spirits and to bestow good luck and good health on people. Enjoy the trail... it's FREE! You are warmly invited to download it from our website, or to pick it up from our Shambles based shop
Reviewed September 9, 2011

FREE FUN IN YORK - The Fabulous York Cat Trail. If your hotel or guesthouse in York does not have the leaflet, then go to York Glass Ltd at 34 Shambles, York, YO1 7LX and collect one. This actually combines two activities, both FREE. A walk around York, seeing places you might otherwise not see, off the beaten track as they say, and the fun of finding 17 of more than 20 cat statues located on some of the historic buildings of this beautiful city. We all had great fun trying to spot these lovely cats over a pleasant few hours and found them all, some more difficult to spot than others, but follow the instructions on the leaflet which gives you clues on where to look and how to get from one cat to the next and is clear to understand. We all thought it was an afternoon well spent. You can break off where and when you like, just carry on after a rest. You don't even have to finish it, but you will feel the need to as you get the urge to want to know which cat is next to find. Apparently, cat statues were placed on buildings to frighten away rats and mice which carry horrid diseases. They were also thought to ward off evil spirits and generally to bestow good luck and good health on citizens who needed feline friends to ensure a good nights sleep in old and temptingly chewy timber framed buildings!

An ABSOLUTE MUST for Cat Lovers. And, Yes, you'll certainly get a good nights sleep after the fresh air and brain teasing, fun-filled afternoon, or morning if you prefer on this walk.

3  Thank teddybearman
in 19 reviews
in 8 reviews
in 33 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2011

This was the last day of my 3 days in York. Made lots of plans of places to see, things to do but I found the York Lucky Cats trail, enough said!!! I spent the next few hours seeking out the "cats" It was great fun, got talking to so many people and found so much of York that I would have missed. I have recommended the trail to several people already.This is for young and older alike I am in my 70's but am sure my grand children would have enjoyed it too. Got some lovely photos of the cats. Thanks for making my stay fantastic.

3  Thank jenny r
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We would thoroughly recommend this to anyone and everyone! It is FREE. It is fun to do, and you might even learn or find something new no matter how many times you’ve been to York. We are in our 50’s and really enjoyed trying to be the first to find each cat; but I would have loved to have had this when our children were children. It takes you round the famous sights, but also down streets and alleys which you would probably not have used as well.

I believe the owner of the York Glass Ltd has produced the leaflet, though he didn’t take all the credit for it, saying that there was already something on the internet, and he was not particularly pushing his shop either. But I think he has done a great job of it – and the shop is very interesting too.

We were very proud to find ALL the cats, but the one from the park gates and the one from the bridge were particularly difficult to find. The only recommendation I would make for the next production of the leaflet, is that the clues should be moved to the end, so that you have the option to find the cats first, without a hint.

I think it would really keep children interested while going round York. And you can take as long as you want to do it, or just find a few of the cats in the area you are walking.

Brilliant! Thanks.

3  Thank Kirbyminder
Reviewed August 14, 2011

A fabulous find on our trip to York was the Cat Trail, followed the trail round york and had a fantastic time looking for all the cats (some harder to find than others) and after hunting them down managed to find them all - with a little help from the map picked up from the Cat Gallery in Low Petergate. I would thoroughly advise a trail round this gem of a find :)

2  Thank magicpaws
See more reviews
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was great fun, we stumbled across a map for it in the York Glass shop in The Shambles (selling the lucky cats). You can also pick up a map from The Cat Gallery in Low Petersgate, both trails are slightly different but we prefered the one from the glass shop - it was more like clues to help us find the cats rather than simply telling us where they were.
The walking tour is basically following steps in the little leaflet to find all of the cat statues that have been built in the city. Some of them are hard to find but my boyfriend and I are proud to say we found, and photographed, 18! The clues take you on a path all round the city, so if you haven't explored properly yet it's a great way of seeing everything without getting lost! We also turned it into a kind of 'pub crawl' as it takes you past quite a few tempting pubs to rest your legs! The walk took us jjust under two hours I think, but it went by quickly as there are 17/18 cats to find (athough we later spotted some that weren't on the trail). We also saw organised groups with a guide explaining the origin and history of each cat, but we just went it alone armed with our map and clues and didn't stop until we found them all!
Thouroughly recommended for all ages to see the city, there's plenty of places en route you can stop and rest if in need of a rewarding refreshment!

2  Thank ThinkPinkLauren