“Nice place but average food”
Review of All Bar One York

All Bar One York
Ranked #178 of 916 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: International, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: All Bar One York is a stylish city bar where you can catch up with friends, unwind after work or simply find a sophisticated space to indulge in an excellent selection of food.Within easy reach of the Shambles, Coney Street and York Minster, All Bar One York is the perfect place to meet up with friends or unwind with work colleagues. Of all the bars in York, we've got the right blend of food, drink and atmosphere at any time of day.
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled upon All Bar One when looking for some food. Was quite busy and waiter let us choose where we liked to sit. Drinks were promptly offered and served. The elderflower fizz was refreshing.

For mains we ordered a quinoa salad with haloumi and a club sandwich. Like other reviewers we found the service to be quite slow.

The salad was average and had too much olive oil. The sandwich was good however and had reasonable meat:salad ratio. People a few tables over ordered nachos and they looked good and I would order them if I returned.

Through out the meal our waiter was friendly and attentive and remembered our order including extra mayonnaise.

Overall All Bar One had a nice vibe but had quite a sticky table. The food was OK but wouldn't rush back in a hurry.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have eaten here a few times. The food is delicious! It can get busy so the service can become a bit slow at times but I think most places are like that. Re entry went and we shared tapas ...the waiter advised us on the dishes to choose - he knew his stuff and this was a nice touch. The only down side for me was we sat on the tall chairs and they were all broken - I couldnt find 1 that didn't rock and it was annoying. Other than this we would recommend the food ;)

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We visited on a busy Saturday lunchtime. Found a table by the window which was good. Went to the bar to get a drink whilst we looked at the menu. The bar girl looked as miserable as sin. She ignored me for 5 minutes before telling me I should take a table and wait to be served! Why didnt she tell me that when she first saw me. Strange also as within 20 mins she was serving anyone with drinks at the bar, they were not directed to sit down.

The menu is varied but I have to say for what is bar food its a bit pricey. £10 for a standard burger or club sandwich. I had the latter which was ok, just ok. There were customers outside drinking and smoking (with smoke drifting in through the open window) and one of them shouting loudly to his mate inside repeatedly. After about 20 mins a bar man went outside and told them they couldnt take drinks outside. Why had it took 20 minutes if this was their policy.

They have free wifi but the hoops needed to jump through to log on made it unattractive to use.

All in all, an average meal, pricey for what it is and spoilt by noisy customers smoking and shouting outside. Wont be on our list for a return visit.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We visited All Bar One back in November last year twice, once for lunch and once for an evening meal and on both occasions we were impressed.

In June we returned, we were in York for our daughters 18th Birthday treat and decided to take her and a friend to All Bar One for a meal. I booked a table in advance online before we travelled.
On arriving we were questioned by a very rude doorman about our daughters age to which I explained that she was 18 but as I had booked a table to eat I didn't think it was an issue. We were then asked again by a waitress before she seated us and we were then asked a further two times by a jumped up teenage waiter who didn't look old enough to work!

I understand that they have to be careful with underage drinking but my daughter and her friend had both passed the age of 18 and I take considerable offence with my honesty being challenged on four separate occasions.

To add insult to injury the meal was not at all good the table was sticky and dirty and the service was awful. What a shame that our first positive experience has been so badly marred with a terrible second experience. We will not be going back.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We went for lunch, while in town and the restaurant was very nice. A very nice bar and a lovely atmosphere. The food was great and would go back anytime. Overall a great place to eat and have a drink.