“A very good look at York's Grim History”
Review of York Terror Trail

York Terror Trail
Ranked #2 of 59 Tours in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: York Terror Trail, a history tour of the horrors of York.There is a monster, 1900 years old, thousands have died in its name. Like all the best masters of disguise it’s gone by many names: Eboracum, Eoforvic, Jorvic… today we just call it York. It has many weapons: battles, murders, terrible accidents and deliberate neglect. This city has two sides, the one it wants you to see and the one it doesn’t. It hides it down back streets and in the corner of your eye. We shouldn’t want to see it but we do. The terror trail can show it to you…The tour starts 6.45pm every night from York’s most haunted pub the Golden Fleece Inn.Adults: £5Children: £2
Surrey, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A very good look at York's Grim History”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have been on many ghosts walks around London, Guilford (Surrey) and even done the odd ghost hunt. As I had never ventured to York I thought I would try the ghost walks there advertised all over the place, so before setting out I decided to have a pint and some nibbles in 'The Golden Fleece' and was asked by a young gentleman in what can be described as 1920's get up whether I fancied their tour. So having been impressed by York I thought I would support the spooky Fleece Inn.
There were only three of us which almost didn't happened as we were a small group, but our guide Joseph did the tour despite the on off rain! I was very impressed with the knowledge of our guide giving us a good idea of what happened in the past, you do take part in what happened to people when they were executed which is funny(the taking part not the poor souls who lost their lives).
Overall the tour was brilliant and different from others I have done, our guide had allot of knowledge and was quite funny, we did have a long chat with him at the end of the tour which I thought gave the evening a perfect end.
I recommend this to anyone going to York as well as chatting with your guide as they are well informed.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Scary and fun”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was excellent fun. Such great value. The tour guide damien was excellent. Completely bonkers but was completely passionate about the tales of York. Would definitely go again.

“Knew his stuff”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Recently went on this trip with Joseph, get involved have a laugh cos this guy makes it worth it. We missed loads of the little history items just walking around ourselves and he knew his stuff. You cover some ground and this is no ghost trip more about the history and the treatment people endured during different situations, this is graffic and not for the faint hearted, we loved it and learned loads.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Pretty good. Awkward if you are in a small group.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Much more historically evidenced than the standard theatrical ghost tour. Wasn't that uplifting but the guide did try and add in a few bits of humour along the way. Was a good length and didn't involve a lot of walking, much better value than other tours. Be prepared to get involved as the guide will ask you to participate. Tour guide was very engaging though. Probably better in a big group overall.

York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not a generic *ghost* walk, and all the more terrifying for it!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

An eccentric guardian announces his presence in the Golden Fleece pub in York. The group is called together. This rather odd fellow who reminds me of a cross between a demon-mime, german serial killer and, yet, a roguish companion from the Doctor Who universe, then decides to make us skip across the road... and so the Trouble begins in a never-ending story of historic gruesome fact and tales spinning that keeps you entertained from beginning to end.

I've been on a ghost walk in York. For the same price (very very reasonable). I can honestly say that this tour was infinitely better. Some people might be more interested in stories of the undead with gimmicks and theatrics - this tour does not need those. Well researched history and a brilliantly written and delivered concept, the unique twist to the tour that I will not ruin leaves you thinking, asking questions, wanting to know more not just about York, but about yourself. The length is also much better value (coming close to two hours) and this is reflected in the depth of content as well as the guide's willingness to answer questions, joke and generally interact with those whom he is with.

Commendable too was our guide's attitudes towards other groups throughout the city. He made a great effort not to step on others' toes, nor to give any feeling of jealousness or resentfulness towards other guides - unlike the leader of another group who actually heckled us saying we were with the wrong person. Similarly, the attention to safety and making sure everyone could hear and keep up was brilliant. York Terror Trail appears professional to the end, and I'm certain that this is what they strive to present.

I would highly recommend this tour. Go on it. Now! :D