“Excellent Fun!”

York Terror Trail
Ranked #5 of 59 Tours in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: York Terror Trail, a history tour of the horrors of York.There is a monster, 1900 years old, thousands have died in its name. Like all the best masters of disguise it’s gone by many names: Eboracum, Eoforvic, Jorvic… today we just call it York. It has many weapons: battles, murders, terrible accidents and deliberate neglect. This city has two sides, the one it wants you to see and the one it doesn’t. It hides it down back streets and in the corner of your eye. We shouldn’t want to see it but we do. The terror trail can show it to you…The tour starts 6.45pm every night from York’s most haunted pub the Golden Fleece Inn.Adults: £5Children: £2
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I thought I'd treat my 8 year old to a ghost tour while we were in York. As we were walking to join the tour he decided he didn't fancy it but agreed to "try it out"......within in minutes of starting he was enthralled, at the front of the group and totally immersed!

Our guide James was fantastic and managed to skillfully blend the scary with just enough sillyness to make it fun and enough poinancy to make you think too!

This tour is definately a blend of "Horrible Histories" meets "Ghost Tour" but in our opion it is all the better for it.

I can't comment on any of the other tours available (and there does seem to be one for every street corner in York) but we can throughly recommend this one as brilliant value for money and a great evening out with kids!

3  Thank Sally G

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I turned up for this tour with one other on a wet and very cold evening but with huge thanks to our guide Damian our evening was not disappointing. Damian could easily be on the huge stage but it is to our benefit and to any others that do this tour he is working the historical streets of York. It was extremely entertaining and informative but people must be warned, this is not for the faint hearted! I have done tours in the past but this one stands out as the best I have done. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and have left York with far more knowledge than when we arrived, even if it was the dark secret horror stories York hides from the every day visitors. Damian tells these stories in a way that enables you to feel like you like you can actually see and appreciate what really happened sending you through a rollercoaster of emotions before leading you back to Yorks famous pub; the Golden Fleece, which is known to many as Yorks most haunted pub. Strongly recommend to anyone who visits this beautiful historic city.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had one night in York and decided, on a whim, to pick the York Terror Trail over the many other creepy tours that York has to offer. We didn't get a chance to try any other tours, so we can't necessarily comment on how YTT holds up against the competition, we can can say that we had a great time.

The guide was fun, knowledgable, and theatrical, which must not be an easy job when you have as small and quiet a group as us (it was us and one other couple). He even stayed to have a drink with us at the pub and answer some more of our questions.

The tour itself was very interesting, taking us past many of York's fantastic locations and throwing in ghastly history to go along with it.

Our only complaint was that we came at such a quiet time of year. I would imagine that it would be a great tour to take with a larger group, and their busy nights (like halloween, when apparently they hire actors to recreate some of the history) must be amazing.

If I had more time in York, I would definitely check out some of the other tours to see some of the more ghost-oriented stuff, but if you like horrible history, don't miss this attraction.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Although there was only 3 on our tour we had a great time this evening. We screamed in the street, and learnt some refebrally interesting facts and folklore of the locality. Who knew a bagpipe was a weapon of war? Definitely a tour I would recommend for all, thoroughly enjoyable and a very informative knowledgeable guide

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Went to York for my hubs 50th in Jan' I had seen the Terror Trail on Living Sociol so thought why not?! Met at The Golden Fleece and even though only 1 other couple our host was more than willing to proceed; Damian was fantastic and gave his all in telling us the horrid past of York with us joining in, wit and great knowledge, this guy is amazing, after nearly 2hrs we arrived back at the pub for a warm and the last tale, after which he and my magic mad hubby entertained us had he not had to go to a friends birthday we would have been there all night i think lol, there seems a bit of confusion over what the trail is; people expecting guys in costume to pop up during the night, this is not that it is 1 very hard working great guy, full of knowledge who will entertain and inform, it's fantastic value and we highly recommend to all