“History and humour at Halloween”
Review of York Terror Trail

York Terror Trail
Ranked #10 of 59 Tours in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: York Terror Trail, a history tour of the horrors of York.There is a monster, 1900 years old, thousands have died in its name. Like all the best masters of disguise it’s gone by many names: Eboracum, Eoforvic, Jorvic… today we just call it York. It has many weapons: battles, murders, terrible accidents and deliberate neglect. This city has two sides, the one it wants you to see and the one it doesn’t. It hides it down back streets and in the corner of your eye. We shouldn’t want to see it but we do. The terror trail can show it to you…The tour starts 6.45pm every night from York’s most haunted pub the Golden Fleece Inn.Adults: £5Children: £2
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My partner and I really enjoyed this walking tour of York, we set the scene by having a drink at the Golden Fleece beforehand. The stories told were brought to life by the trail guides and each location was explained for its historical significance. The theatrics added to the whole experience and the humour took the edge off of the horrific facts so it would be quite suitable for older children. I particularly liked that various historical eras and historical figures were covered in this tour. Excellent narration! A great evenings entertainment in York.

1  Thank Jojo255100
"christmas carol"
in 10 reviews
"horrible history"
in 15 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
"historical events"
in 11 reviews
"value for money"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Went on this tour last night with my sister who is currently studying at the university of York and we had a great time. Informative and fun and we had a laugh too. The guides are all brilliant at what they do and we loved all the singing and dancing. Made me want to join up and work with them! The skipping across the road was a good ice breaker and fun too. We paid £10 each as it was the Halloween special and I thought the value for money was excellent for almost two hours when you think of the cost of attractions in general. We stayed and had a drink and a chat after in the Golden Fleece where we found everyone to be friendly and chatty and we sat and had a drink and a laugh with the boys- a good bunch- was very nice to meet you. Would definitely go on the Christmas one if I was going to be in York then. Thanks again guys and good luck in whatever you do :)

1  Thank HannahandTiger
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am so glad we chose this tour over the ghost ones having checked things out on this site first. I hadn't realised we were on the Halloween tour and despite paying a bit more than expected this was a brilliant, informative and highly entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. A great mix of the macabre interjected with light relief- we even got into the skipping (noone more surprised than me). We did this tour last night with our young son, I was a bit worried as he is under 10 but as others point out what you hear is no different from York dungeons (and had equally grisly stories whilst on a recent cave tour at Nottingham castle) and our son found the whole thing highly entertaining and probably the highlight of our stay in York!
In a nutshell I would definitely recommend this tour!

2  Thank claire2767
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This special production of the York Terror Trail, where horrific episodes from the City's past are brought stunningly back to life, cannot fail to chill you to the bone. The events recounted by an outstanding cast are not ghost stories; these murders, tortures, massacres and deaths from the plague all REALLY happened. See Vikings battle to the death with real swords; observe in horror as a mad torturer rips out the heart of a man; listen to the haunting bagpipes of a soldier before he is hanged drawn and quartered. On this trail, the truth is nastier than any fiction. Oh, and it's funny with great music too!!

2  Thank mark r
See more reviews
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Their Halloween Tour is, without a doubt, the most entertaining tour i have ever done of this magnificent (and apparently horrifying) city! I don't wish to give too much away but expect singing, special guest appearances by historical celebrities and, of course, blood and body parts.

Definately a unique and brilliant way to discover York, i strongly suggest everyone should go on this, even if you've lived in York your whole life and think you know all there is to know about this fatastic city. Trust me, York life is not complete if you haven't seen it with Damian and his minions.

1  Thank Draculauren