“Mid-afternoon bound to be busy, but not kept waiting long and good service”
Review of Patisserie Valerie

Patisserie Valerie
Ranked #18 of 30 Dessert in York
Cuisines: Belgian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A wide selection of teas and other hot beverages with a similar array of patisserie delicacies. There is an option to have a cream tea for two (but we had the cream tea each which gave us an extra scone!) It was a hot day day so the kids were happy with ice cream which seemed to disappear swiftly which normally means it is of good quality (cos boy are my kids fussy when it comes to ice-cream!) The decor tries to be art nouveau but doesn't quite make it and the washroom facilities are minimal (ie a shared bathroom with one toilet)!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

When we saw that there was a patisserie Valerie in York we were delighted as we had been to the one in London. What a let down!!
Firstly the inside was awful we may as well have been in any café, in fact we might as well have being in a BHS café the décor was no different. Then the service, we waited ages for our food, we should have known that we would when the people on the next table who had ordered only cakes which were in the display and they waited at least 15 minutes for theirs to be brought.

We ordered the Club Valerie sandwich which was served in toasted granary. It tasted bland so much so we may have just as well ordered dry toasted granary bread as that is what it tasted of. and at £8.15 for a small sandwich we were naturally underwhelmed.

Needless to say we won't be going back there.

2  Thank Steve R
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Completely let down by the service here, stood waiting for around 15 minutes for a table only to get upstairs and find there were at least 6 empty tables. Waitress came to the table to take the order but didn't speak! She just stared until we ordered, not what can I get for you? or Are you ready to order? The cakes were nice and my tea was lovely. Toilet facilities were poor. Wish we had queued to get into Betty's now.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Although I cannot fault the food on my recent visit to Patisserie Valerie, I am very disappointed by the service we received.

The three members of staff were equally rude, obnoxious and dismissive of their customers.

I witnessed various unacceptable incidences of rudeness, temper tantrums and, at one point, staff completely ignoring customers.

What a shame these ignorant waitresses spoilt our eagerly anticipated visit.

2  Thank Hollyj08
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I cant comment on the savoury food, but the cakes are very poor in my opinion, and they arent cheap either, i had some sort of cake last time i went and it was like it had been left around for a few days, very stale, also who gives these people jobs the service was poor, in fact bordering on the downright rude, my advice would be dont bother there are many many better places in york for a coffee and a cake

1  Thank Andrew O