“Spot on again!”

The Piano Restaurant
Ranked #594 of 920 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Reservations
Description: With two AA Rosettes to its name, The Piano Bar and Restaurant available for dinner every night and open Sunday lunch, set within the beautiful Churchill Hotel just moments from the city walls, is undoubtedly one of York's finest. Overlooking the manicured lawns of the hotel, The Piano Restaurant is elegantly modern, its interior design utterly contemporary but without ignoring the splendid proportions and original features of the room's high arched windows, a curving floor and delicate coving just some of the Victorian features. Begin your visit with a relaxed tipple in the bar, a warmly cosy space with a slightly masculine feel worthy of the hotel's namesake, before taking a seat in the brighter, more spacey dining room. Here you'll enjoy that AA acclaimed food with its fresh,locally and ethically sourced ingredients and constantly changing seasonal flavour. Imaginative and but with a nod to traditionalism, The Piano Restaurant's cuisine is created through the use of cutting edge techniques employed by the kitchen's talented and well trained chefs. Enjoyed to the delicate strains of the baby grand that gives the restaurant its name, the food is as sublime as the setting.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Visited The Piano restaurant again last friday to treat a colleague who had retired. This time we sat in the actual room with the piano (which was being played beautifully). A gazpacho and whitby crab amuse bouche was excellent - cold and really zingy with lovely sweet crab. My orange glazed mackerel with kohlrabi and miso slaw was excellent and my companions linconshire quail (which I had last time) was in his words 'one of the nicest things he'd ever eaten. My main of halibut was plentiful and well seasoned (i think halibut needs salt) and it's accompaniments of artichokes and braised little gem lettuce with a caper emulsion made it an absolute joy to eat. My companion's monkfish special with samphire spinach et al was also, I am reliably informed 'superb'. I couldn't resist the urge for the chocolate fondant with black sheep ice cream as i'd been thinking about nothing else since I had it last time and it was every bit as good. My only quibble is similar to last time is that the waiting staff although in uniform were not uniform - top button done up/not done up. This is not a criticism of the waiting staff as they are excellent. Also, restaurants of higher accolades usually give you 'the lowdown' on exactly what you're being served when it is served. I feel i'm being overly critical but i genuinely believe in this restaurant and the tiniest effort could harvest bigger reward. Please Mr restaurant owner, splash out and treat your staff to a uniform that fits. I'll be back!! Thankyou

1  Thank LP_OF_SB
Andrew C, Head Chef at The Piano Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Many thanks for your review.

Great to see a returning guest happy and happy to see you will be back. Your informative and thorough review is great news for us all and we are pleased we hit the spot again.

I have taken your comments on board and have met with the restaurant manager to reiterate what you have mentioned with regards to uniform and explaining of the dishes. I could not agree more and we will work hard on this to make sure it i addressed to heighten our guests experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Carr

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Friendly bar staff only to be disappointed by a hair in my mothers starter and gravy on her main course after asking for none... A cheese board which consisted of 3 rotting grapes and celery which was as dry as the desert and dry crackers with no butter! After pointing out our descrepincies we were told "oh sorry!" ????!!!! Really not impressed and to be charged £80 afterwards was a complete insult !

Andrew C, Had Chef at The Piano Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Normally I write my responses thanking guests for taking their time to leave feedback with us unfortunately in this case I don't think I am able to!

Let me start by firstly apologising for the experience you received with us on Mother's Day lunch, whilst after investigation I was unable to find with the staff any recollection of this complaint been raised on the day. I'm sure had this been the case we would of rectified any issues immediately which in turn would not warrant your extremely negative review that to be honest I find a little unfair and does not reflect the hard work and efforts we go to in a attempt to provide a high standard of quality for our guests.

Strict hygiene standards are employed to stop things like hair in food or " rotting food" been served, this is reflected in our 5/5 hygiene score with the local council. Using only carefully sourced ingredients even down to brands such as "Fudges" cheese biscuits we simply try to offer the best at a very good value which as you can see from previous reviews is echoed throughout. The fact that gravy was served when you may of requested without could of been rectified in seconds HAD we been made aware at the time. Had butter been requested with the cheese course it would of been provided, our artisan cheese menu again utilising local small producers is of a great standard and something I do not personally believe needs butter serving with as standard.

Again I reiterate I am extremely sorry you relieved a negative experience, I would be happy to be given the chance to change your views on this should you choose to return as our reviews clearly show the high standards we employ. Unfortunately on this occasion I feel this review is unfair, with the tagline "....fail" I wonder whether it was a attempt to alleviate frustration from a negative experience that we would of been more than happy to of remedied on the day.

Kind regards,

Andrew Carr

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This restaurant is in a lovely, intimate room with a high ceiling that looks out through huge windows onto the garden. A lovely setting! I had the early evening meal when the pianist wasn't there, but there's a baby grand in the corner of the room and it must be very pleasant when live music is being played. The food was beautifully presented but the food had no flavour whatsoever - what a huge disappointment!! The house red Merlot was good and the service friendly, but I won't be going back simply because of the flavourless meal. What a pity!

Andrew C, Head Chef at The Piano Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Many thanks for your review.

Im sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to the standards that we employ as you can see from previous previews praising our high standards. I am at a loss to offer a explanation here however if you would be as kind to email myself at headchef@churchillhotel.com i would be happy to look into why we did not impress on this occasion on the food flavor.

The early bird menu changes very often and using only the best local ingredients so should just like our regular menu offer great value for money and tasty food.

Im glad to hear you enjoyed the ambience in the restaurant and the service, i will pass these comments on to the team.

Regards,

Andrew.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a lovely dinner there in the dining room with its conservatory-like high-ceilinged room. We had the £30 3 course menu. The food was excellent - very chefy & gourmet, enough choice & every course was wonderful. The service was attentive, friendly & efficient witout being overbearing - just right. We noticed other diners eating different food - maybe they were staying in the hotel & had a different menu? This was elegant fine dining & we'd definitely return. We had trouble getting a reservation for this night but were so fortunate to have found this little gem. The view out the window was wonderful as it had snowed the night before. This added to the ambience tremendously. It's a little walk if staying in the walled city but well worth it.

Andrew C, Head Chef at The Piano Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Many thanks for your review.

Glad to hear you had a good evening with us and that you will be looking to return.

We offer alongside our a la carte menu a early bird offering from 5-7pm every evening so i can only assume that perhaps you had arrived after this cut off point and were not offered said menu, hence noticing more dishes been served than offered. Naturally with any guest if there is anything we can offer that is either not on the menu or for diet requirements we will be happy to accomodate so our guests can enjoy a more variety of choice.

Many thanks for your kind review and again we look forwarding to welcoming you to the Piano Restaurant soon.

Andrew

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We arrived late to our booking and the staff/management did seem to be having issues with accommodating everyone. However, we were made comfortable in the bar, had a drink and perused the menu (£25.95 for three courses did seem reasonable). When we were seated in the restaurant, we were comfortable and the service couldn't have been faulted from then on. The food was well received by our party of four. We were offered a complimentary bottle of prosecco as an apology for our wait. This was taken home gladly by our only drinking companion :-). All in all we were well fed, watered, served and the value was good.
But where was the pianist? We were sat at the piano; we could hear the music; but the keys weren't going and unless the pianist was one of the famous York ghosts, we weren't listening to live. No matter.

Andrew C, Head Chef at The Piano Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Many thanks for your review.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your evening and happy to see the prosecco offered to compensate for the delay was put to good use! We were extremely busy that evening and trialling a new booking system so apologies from all of us for any inconvenience caused.

I really do have to agree with you, our menu price is fantastic value for money compared to similar establishments in the city.

With regards to the pianist that evening we did have one playing however at the time of your table arriving late on he had finished and we use the autopiano to provide background music. With our opening hours from 5pm until 9.30pm i hope you appreciate that 4.5 hours would be a long time for him to play non stop so he does in shifts throughout the evening ending towards the end of service. I imagine you just missed him. Still, a very rare thing to see nowadays in restaurants and we are proud to have this feature.

We would be more than happy to welcome you again at The Piano Restaurant.

Kind Regards,