“An experience”

House of the Trembling Madness
Ranked #31 of 945 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is a medieval ale house and specialist beer merchant/store. It is simply amazing, the quirky food is excellent - robust cheeseboards , pies, stews, best locally sourced ingredients and has a 5 start rating from hygiene standards. They also have some amazing holiday apartments, check out their website
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Very busy, but a great experience, and it was very warm in the bar. It was interesting looking at the shop downstairs selling every wine and beer you could name. that was also very busy. so it must be good.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,324)

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Fanatstic range of beers, ralexed atmosphere. Can get a bit busy making it hard to find a seat. Simple menu, I recommend the platters (meat, fish, cheese).

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This little bar has become something of a victim of its own success over the last year or so. It used to be a really great place to get some quality beer and cider, and some seriously good bar snacks. It's still great if you can manage to get a table, but in order to do so you have to arrive early or on one of the quieter, mid-week nights. I'm glad that it's doing well, as I want it to be there for years to come, so I can hardly complain that it's busy, but my main criticism is that there's nowhere really to stand if you can't find a seat. Not sure how this could be resolved really. The spirit cellar downstairs is also well worth checking out for unusual bottles of unspeakable-looking drinks, which would make ideal gifts for all sorts of people.

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I have been visiting York for years and have never seen this place before. It's hidden away on stone gate and was lovely. The staff were very attentive, explaining the different things on the menu , the unique thing was that they don't have a cooker. When I asked how they cooked the food he showed me behind the small bar and they only have a small cooker. They do all the food on this. We had olives and breads to start, amazing bread and olives. There was marmite bread ( beautiful ), olive bread and pesto bread. For the main we had a burger which was delicious. Def recommend a visit to this unique quirky place x

1  Thank Roo N
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We've been visiting York for many years and we thought we'd visited every pub BUT! we were wrong! I was a bit reluctant to write a review just in case it helped to make this lovely little place more popular and we may not get in next time we visit! But I think that would be unfair to future visitors.

If you like Olde Worlde, quintessentially, eccentric, traditional English pubs that serve really good beer and very tasty snacky/hearty food to pick at while enjoying your lovely pint, then this quirky little place will blow you away. Not dressy, posh or pretentious in any way, what it is a honestly fabulous and if you don't like it, there must be something wrong with you.

So when visiting York it's a must visit pub for those who like the above.