“Lovely pub & friendly service”
Review of The Walnut Tree

The Walnut Tree
Ranked #338 of 920 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Great little pub just down the road from where we stayed.
We went for a late tea on the Friday & it was fish night, we went for the fresh haddock, homemade chips and mushy peas and it was delicious! A little pricey at £10 but when the dish came the portion was huge, the fish hung over each side of the plate but it really was the tastiest, freshest fish I'd every eaten!
The pub was busy but not noisy & very homely & the staff were great! Give it a try :)

Reviewed January 8, 2014

A wonderful pub on the edge of York. Superb menu and equally as good food and a good childrens menu.
There is a bar a lounge and a dining area in the conservatory. Children are welcome, just not in the bar which is understandable.
The owners and staff are friendly and welcoming and there is a lovely atmosphere.
There is a large enclosed garden with a fenced patio area in front of the conservatory with plenty of seating and tables. I imagine a real sun trap in the summer and perfect for that lazy summer day/evening pint.
A true gem that I can't recommend enough.
My family and I will certainly be visiting again!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Our first visit to York and we were staying at a B&B a short walk away, to which we arrived late evening and asked the B&B owners for somewhere nearby for food to which they suggested The Walnut Tree. We got to the pub and found out that they would be stopping serving food in 6 minutes, which we were disappointed with but the barmaid said she'd check and lucky for us and thanks to whoever she went to ask, we were given a table. There were other people eating but it wasn't busy (Thu night).

Our waitress was friendly, efficient and very polite. The menu had a good choice with a specials board for 'pie night' on a Thursday. My partner had a burger with blue cheese which he said was lovely and I had scampi and chips - very nice chunky chips and lovely tartar sauce and the portion sizes are big so we were glad we'd not had a starter. We had a couple of pints each too, with the total bill coming to just over £33 with the ale/beer costing an average of £3.30 a pint which we thought was about right.

1  Thank chocsin76
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

My family & I have been visiting this delightful village pub regularly over the past three years & have not been disappointed, except for the time I forgot to book for Sunday lunch & we couldn't get a table!
When we first visited, back in 2010, we could just walk in without a reservation. Due to the hard work of Emma & her team That Walnut Tree has gone from strength-to-strength.
This time our visit was on a Friday lunchtime, no need to book. The new winter menu had plenty of choice. Glad to see my daughter & my favourite pate still on the menu, delicious. The food is locally sourced, freshly cooked by Sue & reasonably priced.
Hopefully we'll be visiting York again soon, see you then.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I would just like to say how impressed we were with the food and service at The Walnut Tree on Saturday 16th November. Every one was very friendly and helpful, I am sure we will return again and will recommend this great place. Sandra, Nigel, Julie and John from Norfolk.