“Good Hotel but Quite a Trip Out of York”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in York
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel but Quite a Trip Out of York”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a short trip to York and it was very nice. The room was really big and clean and the staff helpful. Breakfast was good and the leisure facilties were nice to use while we were there. The only downside is that I did not realise quite how far out of York it was. I like walking and will always walk rather than drive/bus etc but it was a bit far for my daughter to be toing and froing several times. However the bus service is excellent along this road as we discovered on our last day and the bus driver was really helpful too!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Helen B
Many thanks for your kind words. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to read out your comments in our daily meeting. As you mention we are a little outside of the city walls and many people do enjoy the walk, or as you say there is an excellent bus service from right outside the hotel. We have a map on our website showing the walking times and distances from the key city centre attractions which our guests find very useful.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you again for taking the time to post this review.
Mark Leyland.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

My wife booked an overnight stay for my 60th birthday.
What a treat it was, beautiful big room, friendly staff and to top it all I was sent a complimentary bottle of wine to our room. Spent the day in York which is a great city to visit and returned to a lovely hotel next to the York racecourse into the spa and then watched England play Ecuador.
Visited the designer outlet on the way home.
What a nice memory to reflect on in my old age

Room Tip: Room on 2nd floor are bigger
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Derek B
Dear Derek B
Thank you for taking the time to post this review and also a belated very Happy Birthday! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and we were able to make your special day even more memorable.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon.
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

My girlfriend had booked this hotel for a Christmas present for me and we have just returned this week. We had booked the Balcony room which had views of the race course which was perfect. We had booked a Friday to Monday break and coupled the Saturday Race day with shopping trip at the local Shopping Outlet.

The Hotel its self is well situated for visiting the town and seeing the sites of the walled city but most importantly, this hotel is perfect for the races. the expansive gardens back onto the racecourse which gives you the perfect chance to walk across to the main areas and back again after a few cheeky drinks. The staff were all very freindly, the rooms were spacious and comfortable - my girlfriend loves a marriott pillow!

there is a good local pub over the road from the hotel if you didnt want hotel bar and the breakfast was probably the best ive had in a marriott hotel.

Overall a very nice stay and a great weekend!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear ChrisW
Thank you for such a fantastic review and what a great Christmas present!! I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and I hope you were lucky at the races.
I will be sure to share your kind words with my team this morning and this will be very motivational for them.
Many thanks once again for taking the time to provide this feedback. I do hope we can welcome you back soon – there are many more race days ahead of us still this summer!
Sedgefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed at this hotel 5 times but decided to book the penthouse suite for my husbands 30th birthday, ideally located for us as we were going to the races. The penthouse has a balcony with stunning views of the racecourse, lovely seating area- helped that the sun was blazing down. Room is of exceptional size, bed is huge and so comfortable, bathroom very nice. Extremely clean. We used the spa facilities which were clean and very nice as always. All staff so helpful and friendly and even left a very nice touch of a card from reception wishing my husband a happy birthday and a complimentary tub of Yorkshire crisps - this was so nice and a lovely unexpected surprise as we returned from the races.
The only down side of the stay was breakfast (especially since we have stayed 5 times previously and this was always the best part) - unfortunately it arrived cold which meant the eggs were ruined, several items that we requested on the breakfast card were not present (2 blueberry muffins, hash browns and sauces) and no explanation or alternative was offered , it was a bit disappointing as we were looking forward to breakfast on our balcony and it was not quite what we were expecting.
However everything else with the stay was perfect and I would recommend the penthouse and this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Helziebubs84
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Helziebubs84
Thank you for taking the time to post this great review. I am really pleased we were able to help make your Husbands Birthday extra special. Our Penthouse Suites are fantastic rooms and a great way to make the most of your time at the races!
I am very sorry that your room service breakfast did not live up to our usual standards and I will be sure to review this with my Chef and Restaurant & Bars Manager.
I hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you once again for posting this feedback and indeed all your loyal custom.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Even though this is a chain hotel, it feels more personal due to the very helpful and efficient staff. My room was massive with views over racecourse. Nice bar area with outdoor patio, plenty of parking space and easy to find.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the racecourse are better as the front rooms overlook the road.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Lisa A
Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to read out your kind words in our daily meeting. I do hope we can welcome you back soon.
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed in a family room with our 2 kids in May 2014.

The location was fantastic - overlooking the race course. The hotel is practically next to the park and ride which was great for getting into York and it's in a really nice area of York. The staff in the hotel were lovely and it was great having the gym and the swimming pool.

On the downside:
I agree that the hotel does look dated as other guests have commented. Our famikly room was advertised as having a seating area - this actually consisted of a small table and 1 chair. I had to ask 3 times before another chair arrived - the kids sat on the floor! Perhaps they were experiencing shortages with their toiletries but we had 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, and 1 liquid handwash between 4 of us. Luckily the hotel is a short drive from Tescos so I went out and bought soap and shampoo etc. This is not what I was expectin g for nearly £200 a night wheb they knew there were 4 of us in the room. I had to ask twice over a 2 hour period for face cloths.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again due to it's location and the views etc (but maybe after it has been refurbiushed and I would take my own toiletries the next time!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ED2
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear ED2
Many thanks for taking the time to post this review and indeed for your loyal custom. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am very sorry for the delays you faced when contacting my team. We are always happy to provide additional toiletries and I will ensure this feedback is passed on to my Executive Housekeeper so she can review this.
Thank you once again for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I went here for my hen night getaway. The staff were helpful and polite. The two young girls training on the front desk were very good.
The rooms were lovely and spacious and the swimming pool and saunas were really lovely. I would definitely stay here again and advise others to stay here.

This really is a lovely hotel ... Ooh and great breakfasts too!

• Stayed May 2014
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Katsplatryn
Thank you for your fantastic review – this really is great feedback for my colleagues on Front Desk who have just joined us and it will be very motivational to them. I will be sure to say a big well done for impressing you.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I do hope we can welcome you back soon.