“Great Hotel”

Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in York
Hampshire
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed in a family room with our 2 kids in May 2014.

The location was fantastic - overlooking the race course. The hotel is practically next to the park and ride which was great for getting into York and it's in a really nice area of York. The staff in the hotel were lovely and it was great having the gym and the swimming pool.

On the downside:
I agree that the hotel does look dated as other guests have commented. Our famikly room was advertised as having a seating area - this actually consisted of a small table and 1 chair. I had to ask 3 times before another chair arrived - the kids sat on the floor! Perhaps they were experiencing shortages with their toiletries but we had 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, and 1 liquid handwash between 4 of us. Luckily the hotel is a short drive from Tescos so I went out and bought soap and shampoo etc. This is not what I was expectin g for nearly £200 a night wheb they knew there were 4 of us in the room. I had to ask twice over a 2 hour period for face cloths.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again due to it's location and the views etc (but maybe after it has been refurbiushed and I would take my own toiletries the next time!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ED2
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear ED2
Many thanks for taking the time to post this review and indeed for your loyal custom. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am very sorry for the delays you faced when contacting my team. We are always happy to provide additional toiletries and I will ensure this feedback is passed on to my Executive Housekeeper so she can review this.
Thank you once again for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Mark Leyland.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I went here for my hen night getaway. The staff were helpful and polite. The two young girls training on the front desk were very good.
The rooms were lovely and spacious and the swimming pool and saunas were really lovely. I would definitely stay here again and advise others to stay here.

This really is a lovely hotel ... Ooh and great breakfasts too!

• Stayed May 2014
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Katsplatryn
Thank you for your fantastic review – this really is great feedback for my colleagues on Front Desk who have just joined us and it will be very motivational to them. I will be sure to say a big well done for impressing you.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I do hope we can welcome you back soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel for a short weekend away from home. The hotel is located in a lovely area and backs onto York Racecourse.

The city centre is about 20 minutes walk. There is also the Number 4 bus which stops right outside.

There is plenty of parking at the hotel.

Having read a few reviews about weddings and parties, we asked for a room out of the way so that it was quiet and we were given a nice room on the ground floor. It was a decent size and clean.

We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night and the main course, the haunch of venison steak was cooked perfectly, it was literally melt in the mouth. The wine was quite pricey mind you.

We also had sunday lunch at the hotel as we had friends coming to visit us and this is a buffet/carvery style lunch, with soup, salad, main and pudding all for £15 a head which was pretty good.

The bar also does bar food and meals and the prices aren't too bad.

We also used the leisure suite and it was nice and quiet early on a sunday and has Cycles, Treadmills, exercise balls, and weights both machine and free.

There is a pool and hot pool but we did not try this, but it was always in use.

Overall a lovely relaxing stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alyson J
Dear AlysonJ
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to thank my team for looking after you.
Preston, Penwortham, UK
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We often use the Marriott hotels, and my husband has stayed at this one before on a course. Arrived in the morning so knew we could not check in, but the friendly receptionist gave us a map of York and we left our car and walked in. There is a bus to catch should you not want a 45 min walk. When we got back at 3pm we were upgraded which was lovely and the room looked good with a couch and TV and two toilets which was a surprise. Bathroom had a great view of the race course. The pool is small, so if you are wanting to do length swimming, it will be a disappointment, but the steam room and sauna were great, and the Jacuzzi. We wanted a little nap to re-charge the batteries and we had this awful knocking sound behind our heads on the bed. It was not from next door as we were at the end. We notified the reception, who send up a chap straight away, even he was puzzled. They did offer us another room which was really small that we decided to stay and try and sleep with cotton wool in our ears. The maintenance man had a look whilst we were out and could not fix the problem. The breakfast was great, very well laid out. Not the best Marriott we have stayed in but a good location if you want to visit York.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank momPenwortham
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear MomPenwortham
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to upgrade you.
I will be sure to ascertain today the cause of the disturbance that you mention and I am very sorry for the impact this had.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stayed here with my boyfriend for a night away, lots of free parking and easy to check in. Went up to our room (318) and it was much bigger than we expected, went through door into a small room with tv, desk and sofa then through a little corridor where there is wardrobe and drink making facilities into the actual bedroom. The bed was huge, another large tv in the room, clean ensuite and nice view of the racecourse. The only downside to the room was that some of the curtain railing was broken and didn't pull fully across so left big gaps which made it very light in the morning. Breakfast buffet was lovely, although we filled ourselves up with full English and were too full to try the pastries etc! Staff in reception were very friendly and were happy to advise us on where to eat and the park and ride, would happily stay again!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Cshq
Thank you for your great feedback and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for letting me know about the curtains in the room you occupied, I will be sure to resolve this today and my apologies for any inconvenience this caused.
I hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you again for your review.
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I recently stayed at the Marriott York Hotel for the 6th time and it just gets better.. From all the staff your welcomed and nothing is to much trouble. The breakfast is a must so much so I often call in at the Manchester airport Marriott for breakfast, you just can't resist the urge to call in. I recommend if you need a hotel use the Marriott Hotels range.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Tony H
Many thanks for your fantastic feedback and also for all your loyal custom. It will be my pleasure to read out your kind comments to my team in our daily meeting and thank them for looking after you.
Southampton
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed for three days and had booked a Grandstand view room. At check in we were told we had been allocated to a suite which I assumed was an upgrade but now I am not so sure.

The room was nice enough although both the lounge and bedroom were quite small and it was only a normal double bed. The problem we had with the room was that there was a continual peculiar noise from the pipe work - a sort of intermittent gurgle/clunk. This was not noticeable during the day but at night it became very annoying and we did not sleep that well for two nights. It did not help that the air conditioning at the hotel has broken down so the room was hot and we could not open all the windows because of the noise from the bar patio until late at night.

We asked for a change of room and were given a grandstand view room for our last night., This was very nice with large patio windows and a very large bed and, in my opinion, was better than the suite which was supposedly an upgrade. We had hoped to have a relaxing drink on the balcony when we got back in the afternoon but the occupants of the room below seemed to have a large group of friends with them and the noise and cigarette smoke coming from their balcony below sadly meant that we had to return to our room and close the patio doors.

That is the main problem with this hotel. You have to accept that it is a busy city hotel and that comes with noise either from racegoers celebrating their wins or parties booked in the function rooms.

We had no trouble parking but when we came back one day there were car parked in all sorts of places so I assume they had been very busier earlier in the day with a function. It takes 30 minutes to walk into the centre of York but the number 4 bus service runs every ten minutes from right outside the hotel and costs £1.60 each way.

The hotel is basically the old building in which are some rooms and all the public spaces and function rooms and also a newer wing. The rooms in the old part seem smaller and have the usual creaking floors which you would expect and can also be exposed to noise from the bar patio or function rooms. The newer wing are much more modern rooms and on one side look out over the garden (although this may also get noise from the bar) and on the other side look out over the car park (not such a good view but will be quieter). At the end are the Grandstand view rooms and this is what we would choose if were ever visit York again but, as I mentioned before, you could be unlucky with the neighbours and get noise or cigarette smoke nuisance if you try to enjoy the balcony.

Front desk staff and Sarah were very professional and helpful. There was a young man in the bar who took our food order one night and went out of his way to help sort out my wife’s food allergy. Breakfast room staff were averagely efficient but not that engaging. Several times we had to ask for things that had not been put out but they provided them fairly quickly.

The main food menu offering seems to revolve around burgers, steaks and chips so fine if you like that thing. If you want a decent and more sophisticated choice you may be unlucky. Breakfast was typical extensive buffet with hot food quality being a compromise with being able to choose and select your own food.

We used the pool, steam room, and jacuzzi each afternoon when returning to the hotel. The pool is about 12m long but narrow so you can only really get three people swimming lengths at a time but it was quiet when we used it so that was fine. The jacuzzi is massive and seat about 12.

Wifi is free in public areas and very expensive in the rooms. I got a good 4G signal on my mobile so relied on this most of the time.

Room Tip: Grandstand view rooms are best (and therefore most expensive)