York Marriott Hotel
$142
  • Pool
$136
  • Restaurant
Park Inn by Radisson York(York)(Great Value!)
$189
$127
$98
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
$59
$124
$112
$107
  • Room Service
$145
2,081 results
All reviewsrace coursegrandstand roomleisure clubbalcony overlookingleisure facilitiesrace trackcity centrethe penthousesteam room and saunatwo double bedsreception stafflovely hotelbuffet stylelarge roombus stopfamily roomfree parking
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a grandstand room overlooking the racecourse. It was spacious, clean and perfect in every way. We stayed over bank holiday weekend and were aware of 3 weddings, a family reunion, a hen party, and a coach party present at the hotel. But through all of this the bar and restaurant were not busy, the residents were not affected by any of the functions going on, you could not hear any noise from the functions either. Staff are very professional, friendly and on hand to answer the most ridiculous questions. Everybody that works there are very attentive and show great attention to detail even offering a turn down service complete with chocolate in the evening. This is out of the hustle and bustle of the city and far enough out of town to not attract stag and hen parties. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear BluebellMum
Thank you for your fantastic review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to read out your kind comments and thank my colleagues for looking after you so well.
I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We paid £179.00 for two people for one night Dinner, Bed and Breakfast as a special treat and we were really looking forward to our stay, relaxing and taking time to chill after the recent loss of my mum.

Our non smoking room over looked the car park at the front, it was clean and the bed was a super king size bed it was very comfortable, lots of feather pillows and feather mattress topper. There was a lift to the 2nd floor and being disabled it was in a good location of the hotel. We slept very well and it was quiet at night.

The bathroom was on the small size, but it was very clean and toiletries were available.

We decided to use the pool but found it was a children’s playground, the pool was too small for adults to swim without children jumping in the pool and using large foam swimming aids, we had a few hits in the face and near misses of being hit and splashed, again the Jacuzzi was busy with children and therefore it was not a relaxing experience. The changing rooms were small and very tense with children running around the changing rooms, near misses with their equipment, not ideal when you are unsteady on your feet. One family had taken two scooters into the changing room.

Again this seems to be a problem at Marriot hotels at weekends, they close half the pool off for swimming lessons at peak times of the day when adult guests may want to swim continuously, you are left with limited space to move without being hit with a flying foam stick! We have taken our children to hotels in the past, but we have taken care that they have not spoilt the experience for other swimmers and I was on the understanding children under 16 should not use jacuzzi’s, maybe it is just a sign of the times.

I went for a coffee at the bar, while my husband escaped to the steam room, I was left stood while the barman went to the kitchen for milk, which took over 5 mins, once he returned I asked him to bring the coffee to me, being disabled I could no longer stand at the bar, he gave me a look of shock at this request, he was totally unaware of my walking stick. The lady bar person served her guests and told them to sit down and she would bring their drinks to them.

We booked in for evening meal at 7.30pm, on the advice of the receptionist, as there was a big party of 30 people booked in at 7pm.

At 7.30 we were shown quickly to our table and the waitress explained to us what menu’s were available to us on the dinner option. You could have up to £25 per person off either menu.

We were looking forward to having a 4 star experience but were left very disappointed. The food was bland, I had duck but it had no taste, felt rubbery and the sauce was very watery. You had to pay extra for vegetables.

We found the service was slow, we were left without drinks for over 45 minutes and no waiting staff came to us to check if we needed a top up during that time because they were too busy taking food to the bar area. The large party had already left the restaurant and there were 3 tables in the restaurant yet we waited over 30 mins before asking the waitress how much longer it would be for our sweet to be delivered. A very disappointing experience and certainly not 4 star service we were expecting.

This is the 3rd time we have had similar service and quality at a Marriott Hotel restaurant and therefore we have decided we will not be using Marriott restaurants in future, the food lacks taste and each time the service has been slow and we have felt neglected.

Breakfast was busy, but we were taken quickly to our table and asked if we liked coffee or tea. A very sullen man delivered our coffee after 10 mins. The cornflakes tasted stale, the glass container looked like it needed a good wash and looked like it is topped up and I wonder if I had old cornflakes that had gone slightly stale at the bottom of the jar. I find it is much better when hotels have the small box of cereals on offer rather than in glass jars, at least this way you know how fresh the cereal is.

The chef was excellent, he spotted I was struggling with only the use of one hand and while he was topping up items he offered to serve me and offered to cook me some black pudding, he was the first member of staff who actually gave us friendly attentive service. The sausages were lovely, but the bacon was of a lesser quality and the toast is self-service, something I find hard work and really wish hotels would still supply the toast to the tables to avoid lengthy queues of customers trying to use one machine.

It was sunny on both days and the outside seats were popular, but it was hit and miss if you got a seat cushion, they seemed to be locked in a shed rather than on the seats. The tables were left dirty with glasses and full ashtrays.

Overall we feel very disappointed and feel like we have wasted £179.00, we have been thinking of booking the Marriott at Bexley for a trip later in the year, but I don’t think we will be booking a Marriott hotel again, they have lost their sparkle.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Steveomcfc
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you incurred, especially as this was such a special stay for you.
I would be most grateful if you might be able to email me with your reservation and contact details so myself and my Director of Operations can fully review your concerns and respond to you.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion the service you received was not to our usual high standards. I am truly very grateful for your comments as it affords me the opportunity to improve the service we deliver for all our guests.
Mark Leyland
mark.leyland@marriott.com

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a few times and loved it. Relaxing in the bar Is lovely, the biggest comfy beds ever and a fab hotel in general. Breakfast was delicious and I will return ! the only slight improvement for me would be tea and coffee facilities in the room and maybe one bottled water. Isn't cheap so for me that would of been fair.

• Stayed: May 2014
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Coleygs25
Many thanks for your kind words and indeed all your loyal custom. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I will be sure to follow up on your feedback with regards to tea and coffee facilities in our bedrooms as all our rooms feature these amenities. I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.
I hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you again for taking the time to post this review.
Mark Leyland

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I recently had a weekend stay at the Marriott - York. What a PERFECT break! As the weather was terrible I decided to try out the facilities (indoor swimming pool, gym). It was the highlight of my stay! The leisure staff who work there are second to none, the most friendly, helpful and professional team I have encountered (and I regularly stay in hotels with leisure clubs who are not a patch on this bunch) They greeted me on arrival and introduced themselves (Fiona the Manager made my small children feel at home immediately with toys to play with in the water and chatted to my son about diving (he keeps talking about "that very,very nice lady who liked my diving stories") Alex and Chris could not have been more helpful - tea and biscuits by the pool, making sure we had towels etc - they really could not do enough to ensure we were happy and enjoying ourselves. The standard of cleanliness was incredible (Chris mopped the floor to within an inch of its life!!) Alex was like a whirlwind checking the Jacuzzi water, lugging towels, smiles for everyone and attending to guests and members alike with professionalism, energy and enthusiasm - I just felt compelled to write this review as myself and my family were so grateful that they made our weekend so wonderful (my son was disappointed with the weather...until he stepped into the leisure club and then didn't want to leave) York Marriott - well done for hiring the BEST team EVER to man the leisure club!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lisa B

Dear Lisa B
What a fantastic review! I am so grateful that you have taken the time to provide this feedback as it is amazing recognition for Fiona and her team and all the hard work they do.
I will be sure to thank each of them for taking such good care of you and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.
I hope we can welcome you back again soon and many thanks once again for your kind words.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We booked a room last Sunday at the last minute it was reasonable. We were going on to another vacation the day after. The Marriott is well place behind the race course. It is easy to get into York by bus. On check in the systems were down but we chilled and had a drink. A pity some people were so rude to staff on the desk. The receptionist who checked us in was just lovely. We ate a meal in the restaurant at night. We both had steak it was fab!!! the young girl (Sophie -I think?) was really good at her job and looked after us so well.

Room Tip: We asked for high room and quiet room-which we got. Sadly the radiator was rather noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear JeanieBlackburnLancs
Thank you very much for your kind words and also your loyal custom. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to thank my colleagues on reception and in the restaurant for looking after you.
Thank you also for your patience whilst we resolved the systems issues you mention – I hope this did not impact your check in too much.
I hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you again for your feedback.