“Not quite up to standard” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of York Marriott Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #35 of 46 Hotels in York
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
“Not quite up to standard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel is well placed for York with bus stops outside and regular transport into the city (which take 5/10 mins).

Our room (with two doubles) was great for a family and was pleasingly large but.... on arrival the toilet seat was broken plus had a suspicious brown mark! The sink had hairs in. The room also smelled a bit. THis was all fixed but I just feel a dirty room gets you off to a bad start.

The hotel pool was freezing cold for two of the three days we were there (something was broken) and since it was snowing outside we would have liked to make good use of it.

The staff were very friendly, the breakfast nice. But once again I have found Marriott is not as good as it should be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from staying at the marriott. The hotel is lovely, very friendly staff. We had a large grandstand room which overlooked the racecourse. Room was clean, nice big bathroom with double shower and bath, superking sized bed, which was very comfy. Also had a balcony with table and chairs, had the weather been alot warmer it would have been lovely to sit out. Buffett breakfast was great, everything you could think of, including fresh fruit (Which is a bonus). It had a big car park which many hotels in york dont have, so this was great. Although the heating worked i think the dial had come off so it only had a little stub to control it, but nothing major. The only problem was my partner got flu whilst we were there so this put a dampner on things. Would definately return to this hotel though.

• Stayed March 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have been staying at this Marriott for years and i was unimpressed this week. Despite being a "frequent and valued customer" (according to my welcome letter from the GM) I was in a smallish room with the smallest bathroom I have ever seen - smaller even than central London hotels. The room was freezing, and after I cranked the new wall settings to max I realised the room was not getting any warmer. I Checked and it was blowing out cold air. Found a small radiator which took foreve pr to heat the room up. The second night I asked them to bring an extra duvet as I had been so cold on the first. I had to call for it twice and it eventually arrived with a duvet cover for me to put on!

Room service on the first night was an absolutely dreadful burger and undercooked chips. Ate half and gave up.

The first morning I had someone hammering n my door just after 7 asking If I was with the tour. If I hadn't already been awake I would have been really annoyed about this. How hard is it to keep a list of which rooms the tour guests are in?

Breakfast is fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in hotel as this was venue for a wedding, they did a great job for the wedding, food was fabulous, disco great sound and staff were superb. We used the pool and again very friendly staff.

We took an upgrade for our room, which sounded great, but it was on ground floor and no heating! - with -3c outside, not great.

The hotel credited the upgrade.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I spent a weekend with my Husband at this hotel in March. The staff were all exceptionally friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was large with 6ft very comfy bed. Bathroom was a little tired looking and they had run out of shower gel which was annoying as I didn't take any! Food in restaurant was very good. Will definitely go back.Easy to walk to Town centre or hop on any bus.

Room Tip: Our room was on first floor and very quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for myself & a friend, who I wanted to treat for a spa day. We were happy to find it only a short taxi ride from the station & were welcomed by friendly staff at reception. We were slightly early to check in, however we sat & had drinks & snacks in the lovely conservatory overlooking the race course. Drinks, I felt were overpriced, however. The waiter did try to charge me twice for this, but that was a genuine mistake - he had forgotten I had paid cash at the bar & then handed me another bill at the end! He apologised for his mistake. Our room was luxurious, with a double bed each! And I must say the comfiest bed I've ever slept in. The bathroom was fine, clean & modern. The leisure facilities were ok. The sauna was set too hot nobody could use it but the pool & steam room were fine. Our massages were booked an hour apart, there wasnt a very relaxing atmosphere in the spa, it was clear there was one girl working alone & lacked enthusiasm during our treatments. The massage was poor if I'm honest. Breakfast was average, lots of items omitted & no bread for toast, had to ask for butter. Waitress said a full English breakfast would need to be specially made, almost making me feel that was a burden - even though we had paid for it. On the whole, a very pleasant stay, pricey but pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013
Pontefract, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

A Works weekend away which proved to be most enjoyable. Comfy beds and pillows. clean rooms. We expected the pool and lounging area to be a little larger than it actually was but this was at no detriment to the weekend. I recommend that any spa treatments be booked in advance as we could not book any on the Saturday or the Sunday....they were fully booked..it must have been the reasonable prices on offer. Although the Hotel states City Centre, it cost £10 for the taxi ride into the centre. Breakfast was most enjoyable and the 12pm vacation of rooms made it an even more pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: 3 Double rooms booked ..40 42 ( can't remember the third) in the new build. These were all on th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends