“Getaway to York”

Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in York
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Getaway to York”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a four night break and it was a lovely base to explore both York and the surrounding areas. There is a lovely riverside walk which takes you into the town. The room was spacious with a four poster bed and a good size ensuite. We didn't eat in the hotel - other than breakfasts which were plentiful. The only criticism I would have is that the tables were pushed very close together at breakfast and it was a little uncomfortable from a proximity point of view, but the staff were happy and helpful. The hotel is apparently used for functions and business meetings/events and sometimes there was a wait at reception whilst these visitors were being dealt with. Despite this it is a beautiful building with beautiful courtyard gardens. We would stay the again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the York Pavilion Hotel. The room was very comfortable with a huge bathroom, and gorgeous 4 poster bed.
We ate in the restaurant and had a lovely meal, the service was fantastic, just at the right level - discreet enough but on hand when you needed service. Food was great. I had the special - duck which was lovely - maybe could have had a little more (greedy me!) - but dining guests had fish & chips which was fabulous (as I ate some of that!) Partner had the steak special - really lovely tender - melt in the mouth beef, he really enjoyed it with a fabulous red wine! Pudding great - not too much just right amount for us - then cheese - lovely!
The room was exceptional. the bed so comfortable I didn't want to get out of it! Pillows (of which I am very fussy and often travel with my own!) just gorgeous.
Breakfast was busy (sat morning) but staff excellent and coped really well. Girl who served us was lovely, and watching her; she was fab with every customer - especially a gentleman in a wheelchair.

Overall would definitely recommend this hotel- lovely homely feel to it. staff really try to accommodate. Great Location especially for the York Marathon as so close to the University!

Room Tip: Not sure it really matters - all rooms are fantastically furnished, with a real 'exclusive'...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
cheshire
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We booked to stay here a couple of days beforehand as an impromptu night away, we were not disappointed. The room was clean and had what we would expect from a hotel of this standard, the bathroom was clean and although there was no hot water when we checked in it was piping hot that evening, a cotbed and quilt was provided for our 1year old which was also clean, and meant we didn't have to take ours with us, room service was lovely and tasty and the wine per glass was reasonably priced.
It wasn't too far away from York and had it not been raining when we arrived we would have walked into the town centre, but it was a short 10 min drive.
The breakfast had plenty of choice and was well stocked, it was nice to see fresh fruit rather than tinned and there was plenty of choices of cereal or toast and spreads, we aren't into having cold meats and cheese etc for our breakfast but I did notice they did have that too, they also had large croissants which you rarely see in hotels anymore its usually the mini ones.
Our breakfast order was taken at the table and when it arrived it was lovely, not greasy with plenty on it, although I do like beans with my cooked English breakfast it was still enjoyable.. Our daughters cereal was heated up for us and we never felt rushed at all..
The staff were very polite, very helpful and we had no problems checking in even tho we arrived early our room was ready and we were shown to it straight away.
We will definitely be returning to this hotel in the summer but for 2 nights next time.
Many thanks for a most enjoyable overnight stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room we had one at the back of the hotel and although it had patio doors which aren...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel as we held my daughter’s wedding reception here – Feb 13. Although we were very pleased with the proceedings of the day, from the initial event staff all the way through to reception and serving staff on the day service levels at this hotel are outstanding and nothing was ever too much trouble for them.

Just a massive shame about the bedroom which we stayed overnight in and looking back I now wished that I’d saved my money (£126.00 per night including breakfast which was discounted) and that we had taken a taxi ride home instead. Perhaps I should have asked for a different room on the day however as parents of the bride checking in on the day - the proceedings of the day took over and there wasn't enough time and it didn't seem priority on the day.

The room which we were issued was very dated and the bathroom was mouldy. The room was clean but you couldn’t help but feel it was dirty due to the mould in the bathroom and carpet was old so didn’t feel comfortable walking around bare footed.

I did mention my dissapointment on my departure to which the receptionist did say that she would feed back my comments however I am still left feeling disappointed and wanted to make anyone else who is holding their event here aware that it may be worth looking to see if it is possible to book specific bedrooms for themselves and guest as some of the bedrooms here are lovely and this would avoid you feeling as dissapointed as I still do.

Room Tip: Lower court yard rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

it was very welcoming, the room was small but beautifully furnished and quiet. great breakfasts, very helpful staff. although its not in the centre the bus stops right outside or its a shrt taxi ride in to the centre. tasty breakfast - the poached eggs were great.

Room Tip: room 12 is quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

A rare treat these days - my room had a real radiator that got good and hot. OK, so the room wasn't decorated to the latest fashion but it was spacious, quiet, clean and comfortable which is all I want. The whole style is comfortable country house, so trendy minimalism wouldn't work. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and served promptly to my table, so much better than jumping up and down to the buffet! I have 2 suggested improvements - radio 4 available please, and do ask that female receptionist not to speak as though she's doing the announcements on a plane. I twice had to ask her to repeat what she'd said. Yes, I would and shall go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - mine overlooked a an internal courtyard, but some may front the busy Fulford...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed March 2013, arrived early evening asked for a morning call, which never came. The room was tired, the chain on the door broken, the television controller did not work, The breakfast the next morning was a shambles. I had to ask twice for toast, for instance, and it only came after I was finished my main course. The only potential excuse is that the hotel was busy with a wedding party. Still, for the price it was very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business