“pre xmas break”

Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in York
west staffordshire
“pre xmas break”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

stayed here for two nights on bed and breakfast basis. got upgraded room on arrival and stayed in frankie howerd room. the room was quite large with queen size bed and nicefully decorated. we found the staff very polite and helpful and were given times of buses etc. into york. breakfast was very good plenty of choice for both hot and cold. very well situated for getting into york by car or bus.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Hi all
My wife and I stayed just the one night and the hotel was packed with a wedding and Chistmas parties. We were upgraded to a feature room and it was tastefully decorated the staff were under a lot of pressure with the amount of customers in the hotel and every member we had contact with we're polite and I have no complaints the breakfast was expensive but quality
I would return again

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

When we last stayed we had a bad room and dined out. This time we had a refurbished room and ate in. Really enjoyed the stay. The room wasn't big, but was comfortable. The staff, every one of them were brilliant. Dinner was also excellent in a cosy dining room with nice open fireplace. Starters of Chicken Liver Pate and Warmed Black Pudding Salad with a poached egg on top. Main Courses - Trio of Sausages and Mash and Pan Roast Rump of Lamb washed Down with a bottle of Nero Davola - mmmm. A good nights sleep and then a lovely cooked breakfast in a different dining room also with a nice open fireplace. Thank you and well done to everyone at the hotel. We look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dereham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

York is one of my favourite cities to visit and especially now that my daughter is at the University here. This is my 4th visit to York and the Pavilion Hotel is the 4th hotel I have stayed in as I like to try a different hotel. York Pavilion Hotel is definitely one of the best in terms of character and location. It is very close to the university at Heslington, close to the city centre and close to the Designer Outlet where I like to hang out.
I must say, the front desk staff were so helpful, very polite and pleasant. The restaurant serves excellent food that my daughter and her friend were so impressed, the service was amazing! The staff were courteous and very professional. The breakfast is cooked to order so it's always fresh and tasty, something the other hotels I stayed in, didn't do. While waiting for the breakfast being cooked, you can help yourself with sliced fruits, a variety of fruit juice and cereals to choose from, you can also make toast and the tea or coffee are served to order so they're always hot. The room was good with exposed beams adding to the character of the place. And there is a free-wifi too which is a bonus for people like me who wants to keep in touch with friends while away. I booked for a twin bed because I was hoping my daughter could come and stay with me but her friend at Sheffield university came to stay with her at her university dig so I stayed on my own although I paid for two. As there was a big party happening that night, I was moved to a different room to where I was originally allocated and was given a double bed in order to be away from noise which I thought was very thoughtful. I didn't realise there was a bus to the city just outside the hotel otherwise I would have taken it, but then I didn't ask. I will definitely use the bus next time I stay here as the traffic to the city can be bad at busy times of the day. I drove to the city to pick my daughter's friend from the railway station and it took me over half-an-hour when it should only take 5 minutes.
Last time I was in York, I climbed the Minster Tower with 275 steps. It was hard work as the spiral steps are quite steep especially as you get nearer to the top but is it well worth the climb. The view when you get to the top is amazing. It will cost £6 and I recommend booking in advance.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for character and charm, although not for people with mobility problem as I could not see a lift to bedrooms upstairs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Visited this hotel in October of this year for a short weekend break, having not visited York before.
The hotel is in an excellent location in walking distance from the town centre. The hotel itself was excellent could not fault it at all, friendly staff, a lovely room and free car park. Also a very nice breakfast. All in all had a great weekend i would definitely recommend this hotel and would also stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We love to visit York but it isn't always easy to find somewhere affordable and in a good position. We finally found the place! On arrival and right through our stay all the staff were eager to please and nothing was too much trouble. The room was gorgeous with a lovely 4 poster bed plenty of room for clothing to be hung and put away and a massive vathroom, with a great shower.
We drove to the hotel but driving in York isnt great so we were happy to find a bus stops almost outside the hotel and it takes you right into York! Bonus! The same bus will also take you to the designer outlet mall.
The food at breakfast was lovely and cooked fresh to order, not sitting under lights.
The dinner menu is excellent and on the night we ate there, we found it rivals many fine dining restaurants.
We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Each of the rooms has a unique theme, ours was Grandad Wooley and had a fishing theme (very quaint...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liz_nz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We have just returned from a midweek break at the York Pavilion and found the hotel excellent. The hotel is a grade 2 listed building and the style and interior decor reflects this, every staff member was friendly and attentive.
Celebrating our anniversary the hotel had kindly allocated us room 4 which was one of the bridal suites, room was large plenty of space, massive comfortable bed and good sized bathroom.
Breakfast served at the hotel was very good and staff were fantastic with our 18 month old daughter offering colouring books etc to keep her entertained.
Location of the hotel is just outside the city of York but only a short bus journey, free car parking was good also, if you do drive into York parking is expensive and can be difficult when busy.
York is a beautiful city with many attractions we visited York Castle museum, York Minster, National Rail museum and the Art Gallery in 2 days, shopping is excellent and there are many restaurants and bars to keep everyone happy.
Would definitely return to York again and would highly recommend the 3 star York Pavilion to family and friends, remember if it is character and charm you want from a small hotel to look no further.

• Stayed December 2012