“Could do better” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 46 Hotels in York
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

The main good thing is I slept well and there were extra pillows etc. Unfortunately I have lots more bad things, where to start first...
Car Park - blimey - fine if you own a mini. It is a tight squeeze.
We had the misfortune of having to eat there on our first evening (as the person paying the bill insisted we ignore the vast quantity of good restaurants in York). All was going reasonably well from the quite limited menu until the main courses arrived. One was not as per the menu described. Two of the duck main courses were cold and the vegetarian pie was fine until I got to the middle to find it was frozen solid - urgh. Interesting enought no appologies were forthcoming nor were any alternatives offered. The next day we didnt risk breakfast or the evening meal there.
As for the room very basic but I was not expecting 5* - the bed was quite hard but to be honest I did sleep very well- but was working so that might have something to do with it.
I dont think I will be staying here in a hurry ever again not when you consider what York has to offer!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank mrbilbs
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. I wonder if you could conctact me to discuss this matter. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Thai first
Boonies
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

Having read the tripadvisor reviews for the Ibis York. It was with considerable trepidation I booked a night's stay for my wife and I over the Early May Bank Holiday .The £50 price for the room clinched it, I just hoped the previous reviewers were frequent hotel travellers more used to 'Hotel du Vin' and the like.
Speaking from our experience:
The room was spacious with a double and a sofa bed made up on our arrival. Plenty of towels and extra pillows for two. Above all it was very clean and tidy (we wore shoes on the carpet, but we are extremely fastidious). Okay, the view from our rear facing room was best hidden by the curtains and yes, the car park was full but unrestricted parking a few hundred yards away on a side street was easy to find. For breakfast, we swiftly passed by the Ibis restaurant (burning toast odours emanating from the buffet) and made the short walk into the city centre where we were spoilt for choice. Lastly we did ask for assistance from one of the staff and they responded to our request quickly and without fuss.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, July 5, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I was please to read that you enjoyed your stay in York and with my team, I am looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
rotherham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

Very comfortable, clean and spacious room with an excellent view. The hotel is in an ideal location just outside the city walls with plenty of amenities such as a shop and chemist. The hotel was modern and the lounge area and bar were very welcoming after a long day out! The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to accomodate us. The breakfast was an all you can eat buffet and very good value for money. I could not fault our stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your very kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in York and with my team, I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
Fife
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

You get what you pay for and we only used this hotel for the purpose of sleep (not that we got much). There were large groups and as to be expected lot's of noise, doors slamming etc. In short I wouldn't recommend this hotel other than for stag or hen weekends. Rooms were extremely small and clean (only just at standard)
Staff were ok but reception were unfriendly and after paying on arrival they were no longer interested.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read of the unecessary disruption caused and please accept my apologies for this. I also wonder if you could contact me to discuss this matter. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

This hotel has no interest in providing a pleasant and comfortable stay for their guests. The parking was a nightmare: we were told there was parking and found it full. Had to park on the street and get up at 6:45AM to move the car so as not to be booted. The carpet was filthy, there was only warm/cool water in the shower (sink was fine...whats with that??), doors in the corridor banged all night, etc etc. Got the picture?? All we wanted was what they said they were selling...they were NOT selling it. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
county durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

from the moment we arrived to the moment we checked out of the hotel, we couldnt fault anything. our room was spacious, and very clean, the bathroom was spotless. the staff were without exception really friendly and nothing was too much trouble. for a single parent with a teenage daughter and a nine year old son, the hotel and its location were ideal. we will definitely be going back there in the future. some reviews have mentioned the old fashioned carpets, but i for one wasnt scared by them! i have stayed in smarter hotels where the service has been nowhere near as good.

• Stayed April 2010
Lancashire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

We stayed at The Ibis for a girly weekend. We were really lucky and managed to get a parking space but it is limited to first come first served.
The receptionist was lovely, very friendly, efficient and helpful. The bar area is really bright, pleasant and modern.

The room was very clean in the bathroom and bedding which was good and fresh towels were left daily. However the furnishings must be ancient and the carpet gave me the creeps so much I actually bought some flip flops so I wouldn't have to stand bare footed on it!

All in all it served our purpose very well of somewhere to leave our things and easily walk into york centre. However I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic break or for anyone who likes to lounge in their hotel room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends