“Great Value”
Review of Ibis York Centre

Ibis York Centre
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I have never stayed at an Ibis Hotel before. I found the Ibis York to be both clean and reasonably well maintained. Upon entering it does look like it has received a recent makeover. The reception and restaurant area is white, clean and modern.

The location itself is central and within walking distance of the centre of York and all the attractions. I would advise getting there a little earlier than the 1400 hrs checking-in time; people have to leave by 1200 hrs, and this frees-up the very limited car-parking at the rear. Be prepared to have to find somewhere else to park.

The reception staff were very polite and professional, and one particular lady upon us checking-out was very chatty and amusing. The room was clean and basic, with tea/coffee-making facilities. It was a double room and came with a flat-screen TV and shower room. It was large enough considering we were only using it as a place to sleep/change, and it was perfectly comfortable.

The breakfast in the morning (that isn't included in the price of the room) was buffet-style and satisfying enough to set you up for the day. You could go up and get whatever you wanted as many times as you liked

The greatest plus, though, was the value for money. For a place in the centre of York and a double-room, I thought the price-tag was very agreeable (£75).

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 24, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised by this Ibis-- it is nicer than many of the others from this chain I have stayed at, and I've stayed at the chain all over Europe.

It was a reasonable size room, with a proper double bed and a decent sized bathroom (shower only, good counterspace, usual low-budget toiletries so bring your own). It had a flat-screen TV with a Ipod player hookup to play music through the TV (but not a docking station to recharge).

I also had a very lovely view from my window, and it's a quick walk to the historic center and all the sites. I did get lost on the way there, but I should have printed out a proper map as it is really not that complicated.

It is a good value (rates from £38.50) for a basic hotel in a convenient location.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Not a bad location, not too far from the centre and quite a few pubs on the way in. Having stopped at the Ibis in Nottingham which was fine, we didn't hesitate in trying the Yok one. Easy to find, though Ibis sign could have been a bit bigger. The so called parking ("first come first served" basis) was miniscule with about enough room for 20 to 25 cars. I don't want to nit pick here, but there is a photo up in the hotel of the staff and there are 15 of them...mmmm wonder where they park their cars?). Having taken our money, we were then directed to the 'free on street parking' with a wave of dismissal by the receptionist. My husband ended up on Nunnery Lane...for a tenner a day! It was after I tried the bed, that was a board balanced on a wooden plinth, that I did consider joining the nearby Bar Covent myself, where they probably do comfier beds......As for the rest of the room: well ours was OK, but we didn't go for the expensive internet package, indeed we didn't even turn Tv on, so don't know if it worked. You could hear every noise and some conversations, walls being paper thin, This can be eased though by having copious amounts of alcohol in order to aenethetise oneself or alternatively, give you the opportunity to join in these conversations.
The Ibis breakfast experience is definitely one to be missed. We risked one and came down at 9 a.m. to a scene from Fawlty Towers! People were wandering round like lost souls in various stages of breakfast, desperately looking for something to eat. We were eyed up several times..... Coffee is via a machine and is a hit and miss affair. I had tea, a bad mistake as by the time the milk jug was filled it was cold. Large plates, the size of bin lids were slammed down on the hot surface. A woman in front of me, speared the last of the bacon, there was no sausages left, a scrap of scrambled egg floating in some water and a few baked beans in a pot that were well baked. I was lucky to witness 6 greasy fried eggs arrive, these were slammed down with an aggressive flourish by the chef/waiter, well a man who seemed to be running everything single handedly. Guests made their own toast in toaster that took 2 go's to get the slices brown. I went back and got a chocolate croisssant: The effect was immediate! The chef/waiter must have seen this and came across to ask what our room number was. The organisation was terrible: food was allowed to run right down before any more was forthcoming. Two young people camedown around 9.45 and nothing was left. I felt so sorry for them. It is 7.00 for the Ibis breakfast experience

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stevlyn
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Where to begin:

We arrived at the Ibis on a saturday afternoon, on arrival we found that the imbosile on the phone had not even taken our booking but the helpful lady on checkout found my details screwed up in the bin from the day before!

After listen to the staff argue about getting rooms ready for people that had been waiting in reception (this was about 2 in the afternoon, an hour after the 1 o'clock check in time!) we were given keys to our room. Getting into our room our TV had to be assaulted to work, the remote was dead at best so we decided to head out to town.

On returning to get ready for our evening meal my partner tripped and put her hand through a pane of glass resulting in an evening (and morning) in hospital. We were not asked to fill out an accident form (WHICH IS ILLEGAL) just their insurance form as one member of staff told us they were covered for this, which they seem to have forgotten because now they're trying to charge us for the damage when they said they are covered for accidental damage! Also we're being told we're liable for carpet cleaning (there was no blood on the carpet just on the duvet!) and we've been told they have had to send customers to another hotel (even though I checked online and there was more than one double room still available.) Also charges for the WHOLE window and not just the small pane of glass. The dispute continues..

On arriving back at the hotel we were sent back to the room, there was now a hole in the window and the room was like a fridge and the bed covers hadn't been changed but after 8 hours in hospital we had no energy to do anything but sleep.

Overall the hotel is very unprofessional (don't judge a book by it's cover, or a hotel by it's lobby!) Most of the staff either have a basic grasp of English or they just play stupid and just had an absolute nightmare since we set foot through those doors

AVOID THIS PLACE!!

Premier Inn is so much better!!!

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank skiba_toad
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I chose the Ibis because they offered rooms for one night only on a Saturday (many in York don't), the location was close to the centre of town and also I'd stayed at an Ibis in Chur in Switzerland and enjoyed the experience. The York hotel differs from the 'Swiss experience' because it's a bit old and creaky. The pretty girl on reception was a bit strange to deal with when I arrived (she was OK on leaving) but otherwise, I was fairly happy. Talking of arriving - I had great difficulty finding the place. In my view, a bold 'Ibis' sign on the front is required. I drove past the hotel at least twice without seeing it and there were three of us in the car. Other friends had the same problem. The room itself was basic but acceptable for a night out. Shower temperature was difficult to set and the blind was broken. Didn't try the breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2009

Booked a night's stay for £47 including unlimted (cabled) internet access / films etc on the flat screen TV in my partially renovated room. The hotel is about 10 minutes walk through a lively and historic area (Mickelgate) to the city centre and its attractions.

This Ibis is, as others have said, an older property which was a private hotel until about 2 years ago when Ibis bought it out and updated the public areas and rooms. The lobby / bar and resturant are bright & modern and the staff helpful. The rooms are OK - not quite Ibis usual look and feel ( the furniture is perhaps a tad dated for some people's tastes) but it was warm, clean enough and well equipped with a walk in shower.

The hotel has limited car-parking but it is free - a huge bonus in York which is notoriously expensive for overnight parking.

Would stay again. Those that were less than impressed must have been unlucky or expecting 5* standards from a 2* hotel!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2009

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights in January this year. We were impressed with the price and offer of free multimedia package for 24 hrs. Firstly this offer was very misleading as it was supposed to include high speed internet-I tried to acces this but was told that wi-fi was £7 extra! The only internet included had to be accessed through the TV-this was virtually impossible to nagivate!
Our room was incredibly disappointing. It was very small and had a slide door into a tiny bathroom. Our shower water pressure was terrible and on one day we didn't have hot water at all! The lock on our room door wouldn't work so we had to get the receptionist to lock our door for us-she explained that the locks often didn't work!!! Our bed was sooooooooo hard, not even a proper bed but a MDF contraption and the bedding was beige (I'm sure it was supposed to be white!), the kettle leaked and the tea & coffee selection was very sparse. Take my advice pay a bit more and stay at a near by hotel-avoid this one!!!

Stayed: January 2009