“I've stayed in better Ibis hotels”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ibis York Centre

Ibis York Centre
Ranked #37 of 46 Hotels in York
Northumberland
“I've stayed in better Ibis hotels”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Positives - its cheap, the breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice with friendly staff
Negatives - The button on the lift didnt work but the lift did, the decor needs immediate improvements, the heating in the room was broken and we had to make do with a tiny storage heater, the extractor fan in the bathroom didnt work, the windows were covered in damp which we realised was because the condensation in the room doesn't clear, the bedside shelf has been ripped off one side of the bed and I had to use a chair to place my night things, wifi had poor strength.
I enjoyed my time in York but I've been to better Ibis hotels which were also inexpensive and they were of a better standard of accommodation. Probably wouldnt stay here again!

Room Tip: All rooms are exactly the same and if you have mobility problems, don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments.
I am dissapointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and will forward your feedback to the relivent depatments in order for improvements to be made where necessary.
I do hope that you will continue to use ibis hotel in the future for your travel plans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

This place is fine for a no frills stay. It absolutely does not have a homely feel in any sense of the word. It feels very much like a hostel, except you get your own bathroom.

In terms of cleanliness, there were leaflets put on our bed for us to read that had been reused as they had dirt marks all over them, this is quite off putting because you wonder where else is cleaned properly.

We were surprised to get a maintenance man knock on our door in the middle of the afternoon because he had maintenance work to do. Unless I asked for it I would expect this work to be done when rooms were vacant or with prior warning. It made me suspicious that he could be testing to see if people were in there rooms by knocking and if he got no reply go in and help himself to their things. I'm sure this was not the case but one has to be wary of these things and I would have thought that he could have got information from reception about what rooms are vacant if what he was doing was legitimate.

• Stayed February 2014
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for your review.
I am dissapointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have passed on you comments to the relivent departments and follow up action will take place.
I apologise if my maintenence engineer disturbed you during your stay, it does seem that there may have been some confusion between himself and the reception team as it is not the policy that he would disturb guests during their stay unless they have requested work to be done in their room. It is our usual policy for any repairs needed to be done before a guest checks in.
If you would like to discuss your stay in further details please dont hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

A nice hotel that does the job. We only stayed for 1 night and had our own breakfast. A very convenient location, within walking distance to the station and town centre and the sights. Was our first time in York and we enjoyed our trip very much.

-The staff were very nice and accommodating.
-The room was a nice size (expected it to smaller) modern, fairly clean (3.5/5).
-The bathroom was nice with hot water.
-We had twin beds which were really narrow wasn't even a single bed size, was scared I was going to fall off in the night, but the beds were very comfortable, had extra pillows and towels in room.
-Kettle with tea, coffee and biscuits complimentary.
-Had free wifi but the connection wasn't great, the strength of the connection kept going and coming.
-The room had a electric heater which we used to warm up as the main room air system didn't seem to be making a difference.

Overall, a pleasant stay, did the job. All it needs is a bit of a thorough clean up, bigger beds and I would rate this 4*. But for now I would say a good 3*. With the price we got it at we can't really complain.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.
I am pleased to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

The hotel itself is very tired and the corridors in particular are in need of some attention. Due to the narrow halls and stairs that interconnect between parts of the hotel I would not recommend this hotel for people with mobility issues. The lifts are also very small (4 people max) and would be unlikely to accommodate a larger wheelchair/mobility scooter. Whilst parking is available, it's not guaranteed, and on the nights that we stayed I ended up parking in the cinema car park across the road and paying £8/night to do so. The on street parking is 1 hour max, until 8pm, so if you're staying overnight and leaving before 8am the next day this is a viable option.

The hotel had lots of advertisement for free wifi dotted around the foyer, in the lifts etc, however both myself and my partner were unable to receive any signal in our bedroom on phones or laptops/tablets and could only get limited access next door in our families room (1 signal bar, which dropped out frequently). If you have a legitimate business need to stay in this hotel there is a pre-pay LAN connection, which is charged at a fairly high tariff for 24 hours access. The TV was old and had very limited channel selection. The window leaked in our room, which allowed a lot of water to come in through the night and the curtain had a substantial water stain on it. There was also an unfathomable light switch, located right between the pillows of the bed, allowing my sleeping self to turn on the lights several times throughout the nights we stayed.

Service in general was good, with staff polite and willing to help. The hotel front doors were locked overnight and the staff were happy to let me in and out as needed when faffing around with moving the car and also to make change for a note so I could pay for the parking. The breakfast supplied was by far the most varied and of the best quality of any that we encountered on our week travelling around the UK, with mini pastries, cereal, and full cooked breakfast items on offer. The room itself was clean. The hotel is located only a short walk from the walled city, so great for tourists.

Overall this hotel is conveniently located and relatively inexpensive for York city centre. The staff are pleasant and helpful and the breakfast is excellent. However, the hotel is let down by it's decor, wifi and being a bit run down. If you're just staying for a night and need a bed near the city centre, this hotel would be great but for an extended stay I would recommend spending a bit more money and staying somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments.
I am glad to see that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us.
Following feedback from our guests we have had our WiFi upgraded this week and are planning to have our TVs upgraded next month, so please allow me to thank you for feedback, which are happy to recieve and act upon.
Our corridors are to be upgraded early this year also.
I'm confident that for any future visits you will see improvements at the hotel.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend in January and found it to be a perfect little budget hotel. Room was very comfortable and clean (towels are quite small so you may want to take your own). Only a 5/10 minute walk to York city centre and a 5 minute walk from the train station, however there is no on site parking if you are thinking of driving (reception staff will direct you to a car park up the road). Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kag15
Thank you for your comments.
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I'm an Ibis fan and look to use this brand where I can and therefore booked this hotel with an expectation of how my stay would be, and unfortunately it didn't quite match the view I'd conjured up prior to staying.

The staff were great, breakfast more than good, room clean but I found the hotel a little tired and in some areas a little shabby.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for your comments.
We are currently working on making improvements to the the hotel and I hope that this instance will not stop you from being a loyal guest of ibis hotels in the future.
東京
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I visited this hotel in January.
The temperature was so cold outside, but the room of this hotel was very warm.
Free Wi-Fi(good reception), comfortable double bed, clean room, a coffee maker with full coffee, tea, milk, sugar, clean bathroom with shower(no bathtub)
If you want to stay at a budget hotel, this hotel was perfect.
Everything was good. There was no problem at all.
It took only for 5 minutes walk from the train station.
Please note; There was only one bottle of soap used for both shampoo and body wash.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review.
It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay.

I hope that you will choose to once again stay with us in the future.