2,140 results
All reviews train station extra pillows free parking would stay again york centre min walk short stay walk in shower bed was very comfortable tea and coffee making facilities car parking couple of nights stayed for one night within easy walking distance full english yogurt micklegate
Reviewed November 8, 2012

First impressions are good – an impressive building with a bright and busy reception area and café bar. The receptionist is polite and friendly.

Room 316 is large, with two single beds (not the double requested) and a settee. It is also very cold, although the heating / ventilation unit is on. An electric radiator is found in the small hanging space. The cable won’t reach any socket in the main part of the room, and has to be plugged in near the door. In the light it is clear that the radiator is filthy, thick with dust and clearly not cleaned for many months. The skirting is also very dusty.

The bathroom is larger than normal and has been adapted for people with disabilities. The ceiling is covered in black mould.

Back in the room, we move the settee. Beneath is a thick layer of dust, this area has not been cleaned for many months or probably years. There is a large stain on the grubby looking carpet

We report to reception. No alternative room is available, we are told. Nobody offers to inspect the room and we are fobbed off. Needless to say, there are no customer satisfaction questionnaires at reception or in the room

The beds turn out to be new, and are quite comfortable. We sleep fairly well despite several parties of drunks returning late from a night on the town.

In the morning we shower. The floor of the walk in shower proves quite slippy and would be hazardous to someone with limited mobility or poor balance. There are no instructions for the operation of the shower, and a single tap seems to control both flow and – within a narrow temperature range - the water temperature. There is nowhere to put soap or shampoo, and the shower wets much of the floor, despite a flimsy curtain. This is partly because the shower head either points 45 degrees up to the right or 45 degrees down to the left (the shower head is connected by a semi rigid silver plastic tube).
Worst, the shower will not turn off. It takes 4 or more 5 minutes to turn it off, a process repeated when my wife showers

We did not breakfast at the hotel, finding a nearby Costa

We again reported these problems at reception, where a manager suggested that these were training issues

And was the budget hotel value for money, at £109 excluding breakfast for a room booked 6 weeks earlier? Certainly not. Are my expectations realistic? I think so; I have stayed regularly in Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express and occasionally in the London Ibis, and have never previously had cause for complaint

My assessment of Ibis and parent company Accor is that they are complacent and have no interest in customer satisfaction or quality of service and I shall avoid them in future however convenient the location

Room Tip: Go elewhere
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Helen E, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

I am dissapointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay.

Please be assured that we are addressing the problems that have raised and would like to welcome you back in the future to enjoy our beatiful city.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

As the title of my review implies, this is not the first time I've stayed at the Ibis York Centre. My previous review on Tripadvisor from January 2011 was a positive one. I'm very familiar with the Ibis brand and stay in them frequently as they generally suit my requirements in terms of facilities, location and price.

On this occasion, I was left feeling somewhat bemused within five minutes of arriving with my partner.

At the check-in desk, the receptionists were certainly friendly and welcoming, but sadly unprofessional. There seemed to be some kind of "babysitting" going on within reception and the immediate "back-office" area. My room key was actually swiped through the validation machine by a young boy who appeared to be the son of the chef or possibly even the hotel manager, it was unclear. What was clear is that a child should not be assisting in the check in of guests. In all my years of visiting Ibis hotels all across Europe, this has never happened!!

Sure, it was cute, but it didn't create a good impression of the hotel. What was worse, is that when we arrived at our room (after locating the lift, going up three floors and then down a long corridor and a small flight of steps and another corridor....) yep, you guessed it...the key didn't work!!!!!

So back down to reception we went. We were advised to wait whilst the maintenance man arrived. The receptionist attempted to ring the maintenance man. Each time he answered, the line went dead. It took 3 attempts before she could finally get in touch with him when I overheard her advising him that "another key wasn't working..." (clearly, this was an ongoing problem!!!!).

I was getting a bit annoyed at this point as we were only in York for a concert which was due to start any minute and this hold-up was the last thing we needed (we were originally going to check in after the concert and I wish we had now!!!)

Finally, we were told our key was working. It was. Hooray. We entered our room. They'd given us a twin rather than a double. As if it couldn't get any worse! Back down to reception we go......

Oh, it could. I was told there were no more doubles available that night. Interestingly, when I booked the room, (through the official Accor website) I wasn't offered the choice of a Double or a Twin, just a room for "1 or 2 people" so I didn't have a leg to stand on. Annoyingly, I did send a special request to the hotel before I arrived to ensure I was allocated a quiet room, I just wish I'd had the foresight to request a double instead of a twin, but I've never had to this before with an Ibis, ever.

Upon returning to the room, unbelievably, we found the maintenance man stood in the doorway of our room (which we had just locked!!). He obviously saw us going back to reception (to complain about the bed) and presumed that there was still a problem with the key, which of course there wasn't. This was completely out of order and should not have happened. He had no authority to be there and thankfully, we hadn't left any belongings in the room.

By this point, we just wanted to dump our luggage and get to our concert. Because of the problems we'd already encountered, I was extra sensitive to the room and inspected it carefully to make sure there were no other issues before we left.

The main things I was concerned about (decent shower/cleanliness/privacy) seemed in order, but I did feel like the room was quite run down compared to other Ibis Hotels I'd stayed in. I even felt like the layout of the room was poorly designed and space wasn't maximised to its true potential (such a pedantic thing to say about a budget hotel room, I know, but you really find yourself drawn to things like this when you've been let down within 5 minutes of checking in). There was a large, empty, miserable area of the room right by the window on the far side which would have benefited from having a desk there or a mirror. Instead, the desk and mirror were right by the room door making that part of the room cramped in comparison.

On the up side, we had a good night's sleep, the beds were cosy enough (once pushed together), we were not disturbed by other guests and although we paid £49.52 for the room which certainly isn't the cheapest Ibis ever, it was good value in comparison with what else was on offer that night in York.

We would stay again, but I would expect to see some real improvements which need to start from management level and work downwards across all areas to sharpen this place up where things are starting to get slack/pride is beginning to diminish.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify what type of bed you want by e-mailing/calling the hotel before you arrive or you may not get what you want!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I would like to assure you that at the hotel we do not have a babysitting service, we do however from time to time have work experince students at the hotel.

Please allow me to apologise for the problems you experiensed with your room key not working.
Like you mentioned our maintenence manager had thought you had a further problem with your room key after he had reprogrammed the lock so did wait at your room for you to return rather than leave your room and wait for a phone call from the reception team, which would have delayed you further but please let me assure you that all members of staff are honest and trustworthy and if you have of left your belonings in the room they would have been completly safe.

I am happy to hear that the shower, cleanliness and privacy were in order during your stay.

I would like to take this oppertunity to apologise for any problems you experienced during your stay and should you wish to visit us again in the future please don't hesitate to contact me directly to make any booking for you in order to guarentee your room requests.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel for two nights with my boyfriend & was very disappointed. As many others have said, the check-in and bar/lounge area is deceptive - they are clean, modern, and attractive. This made going up to our room all the more disappointing. The corridors desperately want some paint and new carpeting, as it all looks very depressing and outdated. Still, I could forgive this if my room had been up to standards. However, when we walked into our dark, dingy, plain, outdated, and positively DEPRESSING room, we were met with a horrible, strong smell of bleach or some other chemical. To the hotel's credit, they did move us to another room when we complained. Although the new room was free of bleach odors, it did still have a funny smell and stained carpets. The rooms are basic and ugly, but fairly functional, although the walls are paper thin. My only complaint about the bathroom was that the towels were stained, but otherwise the bathroom was of a good size with good water pressure. Another annoyance is that you have to pay £10 for 24 hours of wifi service in the rooms. In 2012, I find this rather unacceptable. In short, AVOID - there are plenty of cute and affordable hotels in York, so leave Ibis out of your itinerary.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I am dissapointed that you would want to avoid us in the future.

My team will always work to rectify any problems you find, which you experienced.

In regards to our wifi package in the hotel, for £10 you do recieve broadband internet, unlimited movies and unlimited cds played through the tv, which I'm sure you would have found better value.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Visiting york made easy by staying just outside the city walls.ibis hotel is situated within easy walking distance of the center of york its many superb pubs and resturants,most notably the new malasian one.the attractions of york are plentiful.

Room Tip: Any room,all situated away from the nearby road( which is also very quiet).
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind review.

I'm pleased to see that you found your beautiful city and its attractions kept you entertained during your time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night with my partner awful bed piece of plywood with a mattress near city centre breakfast was great just an average basic hotel really no frills good base for a lively city centre break

• Stayed: December 2011

I'm pleased to hear that you found the hotel a good base for your stay.

Because your stay was in December 2011 I would like to mention that we have as a company invested in our bed design and comfort. The Ibis group worldwide have had new beds installed which I'm sure will improve any future visits to Ibis York.