“Friendly staff, awesome facilities but old dated and small rooms.”

Best Western Kilima Hotel
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in York
“Friendly staff, awesome facilities but old dated and small rooms.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The staff were so friendly and helpful and the breakfast were spot on (get the full English)The steam room and sauna felt amazing after a long walk around York and best of all were free of charge. The hotel itself was old and dated the floors creaked in the bedroom and corridors and the room/ensuite were so small. Over all I'd probably stay again but only if bigger more modern rooms are available.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Booked this hotel for a Business trip and was not dissapointed, very nice room although the bathroom was not the best however the rest of the hotel was very nice.
The breakfast in the morning was freshly cooked to order and was first class, I would most definately stay here again

Room Tip: I had a room facing the rear of the Hotel and found it very quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed in Best Western Kilima Hotel for a night due to IELTS exam which held in Melton College on the next morning. For you who might have the same reason to go to York, I think it's a good decision to spend a night in Kilima hotel as it's just 2-3 minutes walk to Melton College rather than rushing from the train station. The hotel are nice and clean although it is a little bit old fashioned. The room and the en-suite bathroom are comfortable and suitable for my needs. The breakfast was superb and provided you with a lot of selection. The egg and smoked salmon tasted delicious :). The staffs are really friendly and helpful. They even told me a shortcut to the railway station. Yay :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

we only booked a one night stay spare of the moment. on arrival we were met by Matt at reception very happy to help showed us to our room,and advised us of the local shops pubs and life in york.
we stayed at this hotel for our main meal that evening and were served by Chris again very happy to help and with friendly converstation to make us feel comfortable. Our meals were to die for especially the steak and chicken dishes.
our room was comfortable and had all we required for our nights stay we overlooked the car park at the back, this was a very quiet room and we were very happy.
we would stay again,
Chris and Matt thanks boys.

• Stayed May 2013
Derby
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The staff here are some of the nicest I have encountered... really excellent.
The hotel is clean, and in a quiet location.
However the rooms are old fashioned, as are the bathrooms and in general need of some TLC - very old bed in my room which groaned every time I moved.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
EDINBURGH
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I feel really bad for writing this. Firstly I want everyone to know that the staff in this hotel are fabulous, couldn't do enough for you and basically really friendly. I stay in the York/ Leeds area a few nights each month for work. This hotel is clean and really there is nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't for me. It was very dated and twee which is great if you like that sort of thing and unfortunately I'm really not a fan. Its the chinz curtains, bedspreads and patterned carpets too much in all the areas. This hotel does have a car park which was one of the reasons I decided to stay here, and that was great, right behind the hotel.

Can really comment on breakfast as all I had was cereal and toast. What I will say is that I wouldn't stay here again because you have to bear in mind that they don't actually start serving breakfast until 0730hrs and by about 0715hrs people are hanging about waiting on it opening. This wasn't convenient for me as I have to be in work for 0800hrs so it was a bit of a mad rush, just a suggestion, but serving breakfast from 0700hrs would probably make a big difference.

Don't let this put you off as I said its worth a chance, especially if you are getting a good price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

very friendly staff always on hand, i have stayed there for the best part of 6 months usally 3 or 4 nights a week. the chef is willing to cater outside the menu if pre arranged and the food is usually top notch, a bit pricey, but thats York for you. there is a small gym, if you must exercise, i found the pool and steam room more to my liking, ideal for relaxing the trials of the day away before dining. the one negative i have is the showers, not a problem if your a bath person, not a lot of power and a little tempermental. All in all a very welcoming hotel with good facilities close to the town centre, free parking and free wi-fi unlike some hotels that want to charge £10 per day. will be back there soon

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business