“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in York
Worsley
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

Have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hilton in York. Had booked the hotel for my birthday as an alternative to Chester and after booking looked on Tripadvisor and saw some mixed reviews. Having stayed in quite a few hotels in this country I was a little worried that we may have been disappointed. We couldn't have been more wrong. We parked our car in the secure car park and in the reception was greeted with very friendly warm staff. We had upgraded our room and the room we ended up with was the 'Rockingham' room which was immaculate with balcony. The hotel is in a perfect position for all of York and our view was fantastic of Cliffords Tower. It is probably the best city centre hotel we have ever stayed in. The buffet breakfast was great and nothing was a problem for the staff. I would like to say a big thank you to the staff of the hotel and will definately return with our children for another fantastic stay in York.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found the customer service you received to be excellent.

I was delighted to learn that you found the breakfast to be excellent and the location to be superb.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you and back to Hilton York in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
kilmarnock
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

this hotel does not deliver what a four star should dinner on first night was average but the service very poor.dinner on second night at the american diner next door, which the hilton give you vouchers was a disgrace they should be shot for sending out food that is not fit to eat.we sent the food back and complained to the manager and they said we wouldnt be charged well considering we didnt eat it.!!!! we then went back to hotel and complained to the hotel manager who appologised and would take the complaint on board,our night was ruined and we were back in hotel room at ten oclock.also the £15 a night for parking is a rip off.we have been to this hotel twice and the standards have went way down we wont be going back its not worth the money.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sconeyKilmarnock
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, May 17, 2010

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was most disappointed to learn of your experience in our restaurant. Please rest assured that it is highly unusual for me to receive comments of this nature. Nontheless, I can confirm that your comments were indeed taken onboard and since your visit and as a result of the feedback you left with my team, I can confirm that discussions were held with my Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that such unacceptable incidents are not repeated in future.

I regret that you found our car parking charges to be excessive. Unfortunately, in York car parking is at a premium, especially at the hotel. However, we thoroughly research the market when setting prices and I am confident that the charge we make is competitive both within the City of York and also other city centre located hotels throughout the country. In addition, our car park is both secure and offers valet parking at all times.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I sincerely hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future where I am positive we can show that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

I had previously had a problem with noise levels from a function when staying at the hotel last December and brought this to the attention of the hotel. It is a lesson I have earned to ask for a room away from "Christmas functions" when visiting the hotel for Christmas shopping. On this latest visit I could not fault the hotel or its staff and their excellent customer service - particularly the friendly lady who cooked the eggs at breakfaxt.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

Stayed in the Hilton york last night ,great party held outside our room at 2am this morning, only problem was my wife and I were in bed trying to sleep after a nice night out in York. Rang reception the night porter made a half hearted attempt to stop it, then this morning on leaving I complained to the girl at reception and she said sorry. and that was it. the room was ok , but was surprised there was no mini bar,only a bottle of water stood next to the TV priced at £3.95.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barnetbybob2

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

It is with deep regret that I learnt you were disturbed by noise caused by other hotel guests. Whilst I am sure that you will appreciate it is difficult to completely control the behaviour of our other customers, I can confirm that that my Nights team did make every effort to control the individuals in question and I am sorry you felt that this was not the case. I have discussed your comments with my Night’s team to ensure that all guests’ comments are dealt with in the correct professional and sympathetic manner required in future.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

I was shocked to see the poor quality of rooms, especially as we had booked and paid a hefty price for, a deluxe. We were shown three rooms in the deluxe category - all the same - small & tatty with a poor bathroom (small in size and bad lighting near mirror). As my husband is a Gold Card holder & we have stayed in other Hilton hotels we were very disappointed and it upset us to think that we had paid almost £300 for two nights B&B in a room that would have been classed as "standard" in most 4 star hotels. There was nothing special or, in fact, deluxe except for the fact that they provided us with dressing gown and slippers, a bottle of wine and mineral water. A large bottleof mineral water was available in the room for £2.95 - more expensive than petrol!!

Dinner was a disaster - very poor quality food for a 4 star hotel.

Breakfast, however, was really good and the lady who made the eggs and omelettes was cheerful and friendly. In fact, all the staff were friendly and helpful and deserve a medal for having to deal with the flak from sub-standard bedrooms and poor quality restaurant food.

The hotel rooms need a complete overhaul and some mention on their website of the small size of their bedrooms.

If we return to York we won't be staying here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lotusflower4

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was most concerned to learn that you were disappointed with the size and standard of the room you were allocated. Whilst as I am sure you will appreciate that the size and structure of the building is somewhat out of our control, I can confirm that our deluxe rooms are differentiated by the added extras such as a dressing gown, a front facing room with a view of Clifford’s Tower, an upgraded toiletry package, in room air conditioning and a club basket.

I was also concerned to read your comments regarding the disastrous dinner. This is unacceptable and I have communicated your feedback with my Head Chef.

Whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

On a positive note, I was pleased to learn that you found both the breakfast and staff to be good. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

Once again, thank you for your comments. Please rest assured that your comments have been noted and will be acted upon. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Dundee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

Had a 4 day staycation in York. Booked Hilton as have always enjoyed good room & service in the past. We booked a double double DB&B taking 2 children aged 6 & 9 . The room and bathroom were tiny. Only 2 small drawers to put a family's clothes in. Beds were about 18 inches apart and bothe were almost up against each side wall. Bathroom- shower could not extend upwards of 4 feet without cutting out due to the shortened length of hose and the plug was broken. Reception staff were ambilavent to comments about the standard saying all rooms were booked.
Restaurant staff were fantastic, however, only one night in 4 did the chefs actually deliver the dish as per menu. e.g. fondant potatoes= 1/2 a baked potato upside down on the plate! Crab served without the melba toast, salmon served without the accompanying sweet potato chips.
I felt very sorry for the restaurant staff. They were being let down greatly by all other aspects of the hotel.
On the plus side, the location of this hotel is perfect for a family trip to York.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank speedyDundee
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, April 23, 2010

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was most concerned to learn that you were disappointed with the size of the room you were allocated. Whilst we are somewhat limited by the size and structure of our building, our recent refurbishment programme has allowed us to maximize our space with slim line furniture and contemporary, calming décor and soft furnishings. This has been well received by the majority of our guests. I am sorry that this was not to your liking.

My Executive Head Chef was aware of the problems with the meal at the time and has now carried out a training session with his team to ensure that such mistakes are not repeated in future.

Leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

My partner took me away this weekend on a weekend away to York for my 30th Birthday & we stayed in the Hilton.
On arrival we couldn't find the car park, we found out that the car would have to go in the overflow carpark & someone would drive it there.
When we entered our room which was situated on the 1st floor it looked liked an average room.
The bed was rock hard, the view out of the window was of the back of a building & the toilet door wouldn't close without slamming it so hard i am sure the people in the basement could have heard.
Our stay in York was brilliant, lots of things to do, i recommend the ghost hunt walk that begins at Shambles at 19.30, very funny, suitable to take the kids on too.
When we returned from our night out we got comfortable in bed & started to hear this banging noise, we thought it maybe the people who worked in the hotel or passer bys in the corridoor but this noise went on ALL night!
As the bed was rock hard & because of this noise our nights sleep was dreadfull.
Whilst we were eating our breakfast the next morning, in which i must say a lovely dining area, we over heard some guest complaining to the manager about the noise, the reply was they should have reported it so they could have done something about it, what would they have done??? You cannot do ANYTHING about banging pipes, was they going to move them, i'm sure i would be happy to go & complain in my PJ's to be told they'll give us another room whilst i'm half asleep.
I have stayed in alot of 2-4 star hotels & i thought this should be a 2/3 purley based on the noise.
It just goes to show that the expensive Hotels advertised are not always the best!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Smileandbehappy123
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

It is with regret that I learnt of the noise disturbance you experienced. Please rest assured that, as previously stated, all noise issues are investigated by my Facilities Manager. I can confirm that steps have now been taken to resolve the banging noise which did affect a very small amount of our rooms for a short period of time.

I have also discussed your comments regarding the toilet door with my Facilities Manager for investigation and resolution.