3,183 results
All reviewsclifford's towertwo double bedscar parkexcellent locationcastle museumcentral locationreception staffbreakfast was excellentstayed for one nightshort breakvaletshamblespubsminster
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Stayed for two nights. The hotel itself is in an excellent location, near all the local attractions, shops and restaurants, so can't fault location.

However, hotel quality and service leaves a lot to be desired. Checked in no problem, and the room at first glance was very nice. Good size, clean and everything you'd expect. Only trouble I had was with noise in the hotel - not from other residents or anything of that nature but instead a constant dripping radiator!! I contacted reception almost immediately after arriving and noticing this (I arrived quite late in the afternoon) and they advised someone would be sent to fix it.

A guy from reception turned up (I think he may have been the duty manager) and he fobbed me off, saying it would be ok in a few hours and it was my fault because I hadn't turned it on full! (I'd only been there 20 minutes!).

Sure enough upon returning from a meal later that evening the dripping continued and throughout the night too. Made me feel like I was sleeping in a Russian torture chamber if i'm honest so mindful of this I reported it to reception again the next morning.

The woman on reception was pleasant and advised maintenance would look at it that day. They didn't, so sleepless night two ensured.

What I will say is the breakfast here is excellent, don't think you'd find a nicer one from a hotel; there simply is everything you'd want here.

Would I go here again? Not sure. I may have been unlucky with the room I got given but either way they could have dealt with it better than they had.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank welshwizard1927
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on this website.

I was disappointed to learn that you were disturbed by noise from the radiator and of the way in which your concerns were dealt with by my team. Please be assured that since receiving your comments, my Hotel Facilities Manager has taken action to begin to resolve the cause of the noise. I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused you.

I have also taken the liberty of speaking with my management team to ensure that all guest concerns are dealt with in the correct and professional manner required in future.

Whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is not reflective of our usually high levels of service.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your comments. It is only with feedback such as yours that we can continue to improve the service that we offer. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Hilton York in the not too distant future when we can prove that we can do better.

Reviewed January 17, 2010

Short version - got a steep discount on the room, and I got what I paid for. Terrible room, terrible service. I am sure if I'd paid full-price things would be different.

Long version - got a last-minute deal on Expedia to surprise my husband with a night out in York (he commutes to York from our home in Leeds) - £70 for a Friday night, including breakfast - so I wasn't expecting the best room in the house. Then again, considering the hotel was utterly dead, I wasn't expecting to be shoved in a dusty closet with a lovely view of a dirty asphalt roof and a bunch of air-conditioning units.
The tiny, generic-looking room smelled extremely musty and there were obvious signs that it hadn't been cleaned properly, or recently. There was a toothpaste cap, complete with a big glob of dried toothpaste, stuck on the end of the towel hook on the back of the bathroom door (weird, huh?), hair in the bathtub drain, and a hair elastic, complete with long red hairs attached, on the bedside table sort of underneath and behind the alarm clock. The room service menu had a big glob of (what I hope was) dried tomato sauce inside the cover. When I turned on the television to catch up on the news while I waited on my husband to finish work, I found that, on every channel, the sound was at least 3-4 seconds behind the video, rendering it basically unwatchable. Fine, I thought, at least the bed is clean and comfortable, and I'm paying Travelodge-level prices so these aren't huge problems. I went downstairs to have a coffee and read a book in the (completely empty) hotel bar/restaurant area. The young man who made my coffee was very nice, but as soon as he was done, the shift changed, and a crew of three extremely loud kids took over. The shouted at each other across the room, completely oblivious of me sitting there with my coffee, and then one of them turned down the lights so that I couldn't read. I asked him if he could turn the lights back up, and was told to move closer to the entrance to the lobby where it was brighter. I was so annoyed I just left my half-drunk coffee behind and went for a walk in the freezing rain.
The best part was breakfast, though. The restaurant was less than half full, and there were at least 7 or 8 empty, good-sized two-person tables, most of which were near windows and/or near the buffet. The couple being seated as we arrived were led to one of the tables next to a window. I can only assume that the amount we paid for our room was marked on the list somehow, because the same host told us 'Oh, I am so sorry, only this table is available' - pointing to a tiny, cramped table in the entrance to the lobby, practically next to the front doors of the hotel and as far away from the buffet as it was possible to be whilst still being inside the hotel. I didn't say anything, not wanting to make a scene, but it was extremely cold (thanks to the blast of cold air from the entrance to the hotel every time the doors opened) and extremely embarrassing to be blatantly relegated to the 'cheap seats' when there were so many empty, more comfortable tables sitting empty (and which remained empty throughout our meal). The food was pretty terrible, as well - the toast came out burnt on one side and raw on the other, and the bacon and sausages were cheap and undercooked. Whilst I was at the buffet, a waiter was asking a nearby table if they wanted any cooked-to-order food such as omelettes or porridge. I am sure this would have been available to us, had I tracked down a waiter to ask, but it certainly wasn't offered. My husband and I both left our hot food uneaten and ended up just eating yogurt and fruit (hey at least we ate healthily - even if it was against our will!)
As I said above, I am sure that if I had paid full price, my experience would have been different. If the hotel was full, I could understand reserving the nicest rooms and the best tables for the highest-paying guests. However, when the hotel and the dining room are both half-empty, the room we received and our treatment at breakfast simply indicates a corporate culture of pointless snobbery and mean-spiritedness. What a terrible place.

1  Thank KatieandMatt

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this website.

I was most disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

There can be no excuse for the shortfall in housekeeping standards that you experienced and the poor service you received from my team. Please rest assured that your comments have been passed onto my Management team who are taking action to ensure that such unacceptable standards do not reoccur in future.

I regret that my team were not made aware of any of your issues at the time as they would have made every effort to ensure that your stay was a comfortable one.

I would also like to take this opportunity to politely reassure you that we do endeavour to ensure that we meet all of our guests’ expectations and the standards normally associated with Hilton Hotels, regardless of the rate that has been paid. I am sorry you felt this was the case.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 15, 2010

I travelled to York on a whim, and walking in off the street without prebooking, I was offered a room for just £59.50, including breakfast. The wonderful receptionist, Magda, found me a quiet room - 260- at the far end of a corridor, behind swing doors and by the fire exit stariwell. It was blissfully peaceful. I had flu and although the room was perfectly well heated I still felt chilly. Within minutes staff brought me a duvet! Nice double bed, plenty of space, spotlessly clean and nice toiletries too. There was a queue for breakfast but it vanished in a couple of minutes. Loved breakfast, loads of choice, and a nice smiley chef made me a couple of items that weren't on the menu. Staff were absolutely lovely. Decided to stop an extra night, and will be returning - especially if they can offer prices as good as these (other nearby accomodation was closer to £75 for B&B. standard). However, the quality of the uniforms for male staff do not reflect the professionalism shown and their obvious pride in their jobs - bin the ubiquitous corporate, cheap and nasty blue polyester jackets. Please! They deserve better.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this website.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at Hilton York and found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 15, 2010

Dont know why people are moaning about this hotel stayed two nights there couldnt fault it staff ,room, service, all excellent well done to them all all hard working nothing to much trouble excellent location

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this website.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at Hilton York.

Reviewed January 10, 2010

surly, abrupt reception staff while checking in, this from the Nancy the duty manager! all other staff efficient and polite.
excellent location for all of york's attractions. approx. £5-6 for taxi ride from train station.
room was adequate but the shower was lacking in power and not what you would expect from a chain of this standard.

1  Thank northern_bum

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this website.

I was deeply concerned to hear of the shortfalls in standards that you experienced at check in. Please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards and your comments have been fully investigated and resolved by my Front Office Manager.

On a positive note, I was delighted to learn that you found the location to be great and the staff to be efficient and polite.

Yours sincerely