“Great value if you book via last minute.com”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
sheffield
“Great value if you book via last minute.com”
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I booked this through Last minute.com. When I booked it I didnt know it was going to be the Hilton because it was one of the "secret hotels". I was well chuffed. When we arived the guys in the car park, parked my car for me, nice touch. We checked in ok. The room was smaller than I was expecting, but it was adequate, clean and quiet. We went to the races in York, where I had a nice win on the first race, which covered the cost of the hotel and our evening meal in York that night. Breakfast was the usual Hilton fair, lots of it, and all good stuff. This is just a nice hotel, nothing special, very central and if you can book it through last minute.com, then go for it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, October 30, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback on this website.

I was delighted to learn that you found the room to be clean and the hotel to be nice.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Skegness
Reviewed September 28, 2009

For my Mum's 70th Birthday my brother arranged for both of us to stay at the Hilton, York for 2 nights. The location is absolutely superb and we were given a room overlooking Clifford's Tower. The room was very clean and very comfortable (not the biggest room in the world but very adequate). The breakfast was delicious and the staff in the restaurant very friendly. We were able to leave our bags at reception when we arrived at 11am on the Friday and the same when we left on the Sunday (reception also organised our taxi to the station). Had a problem with the swipe card for the door but eventually got the hang of it and also the small kettle in the room would only work when half full, but in all we found our stay absolutely fantastic.

• Stayed September 2009
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, October 1, 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you and your family enjoyed your recent special break stay with us, found the room to be lovely and the staff to be friendly.

As always, it a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Northumberland
Reviewed September 24, 2009

We booked this as a special treat staying here for the first two nights of our honeymoon break.
Parking the car was chaos due to a large coach parked directly in front of car park entrance - the driver oblivious to everyone trying to get to carpark. Check in was very slow and the receptionist did not even smile once. I only used the lift once as I found it "smelly" and did not trust the way the doors opened. The room was basic and the bath had hairs in it. I also had to ask for a quilt cover to be changed as it had oil marks on it. Breakfast was standard fare and on both mornings, we ordered a tea and a coffe on both mornings but the coffee took a lot longer to reach the table. The location was fantastic and this is the only reason that we would recommend the hotel to our friends/family.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kevsa
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to read that you found the bed linen the have marks on it and the service at breakfast to be slow with regards to ordering your morning coffee. Whilst it is highly unusual for me to receive comments of this nature, please rest assured that your comments have been taken onboard and the necessary corrective action, in the form of re-training in the importance of customer care and attention to detail, has been instigated to ensure that such experiences do not reoccur in future.

On a brighter note, I was delighted to note that you found the location of the hotel to be fantastic.

Once again, thank you for your comments. It is through such feedback that we can continue to improve the service that we offer.

I understand your reluctance to return to my hotel, however I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton York in the future, when I am certain we can show you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our usually high standards of service.

Salisbury, Wiltshire
Reviewed September 23, 2009

The Hilton hotel is right in the middle of York. Its location is hard to beat. It is directly oppsite York castle with the Tower mound right in front of the hotel. The excellent Castle museum and the Viking museum are just minutes away, as is the centre of the city itself. The hotel itself is probably more attractive than the average Hilton and the service is very good. My tip is speak to the concierge - as well as recommending a couple of excellent restaurants (Bettys and The Blue Bicycle), he also recommended the Viking Walk, which was also excellent (we were a little disappointed with the Ghost Walk). The only downside is some of the rooms are not the best. We had two - one was fine but the other was tiny. Saying that, we easily arranged a room move.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and received excellent service from our concierge team and found the location of the hotel to be excellent.

derbyshire
Reviewed September 15, 2009

We have just returned from a one night stay at the hilton in york and we have to say it is the best ever hotel we have stayed in within york and we have stayed in at least five other hotels in york.Although this might be one of the most expensive hotels in york it is worth every penny.The moment we checked in very friendly and even parked my car for me which I would of struggled with myself as parking urself would be quite hard.The room we booked was a double deluxe room which was amazin with a view of cliffords tower and lovely big bed.We went out and mentioned that would it be possible to change the wine in our room from red to white and where the other items we were meant to have that werent there.We arrived back to the room later that afternoon to find slippers bathrobes,big tray of fresh cut fruit, full size bottle of white wine that must of cost at least £26.00 as well as our original small bottle red wine and even a birthday card from then which first time I ever had one when staying away for my birthday.Later than night we went for a drink in the bar which is not cheap either but the barman we spoke to thomas i think his name was one of the best i have ever met,nothing was to much trouble for him anda real credit to the hotel,I hope the manager reads this review and passes our thanks to thomas for making my stay even better and appreciate how good he is.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hatton_9
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, September 22, 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be excellent.

It is a pleasure to receive such feedback. I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Derbyshire
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We have just returned from a stay at the hilton hotel at york for our wedding anniversary. It were an ecellent experience. We only paid for a double standard room. But on our arrival we was given a double deluxe room with a fab view of cliffords Tower. The room was very clean and staff were very helpful.
We would re-visit the hotel again.
Thankyou for making our anniversay speical.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your celebratory stay with us and that my team were able to make your stay extra special.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We booked this hotel due to the Hilton name, excellent location and the price. After booking and reading some of the previos reviews we reserved judgement for our selves.
We arrive before check in to leave our bags and were dealt with by two receptionists, Tom and a trainee who were very friendly and accomodating. On return to check in the same guys completed check in with a lovely manner.
The hotel decor is what you would expect in a Hilton and the room clean and comfortable. We also had a fabulous view directly looking out onto Clifford's tower (with Geese)
We called in for a last drink in the hotel bar which was very quiet and served promptly.
Breakfast the next morning was delicious with a huge choice of hot and cold buffet.
Leaving the bags again the following day was not a problem and the staff offered to call us a txi when we returned. I do not know what the other reviewer's are complaining about. We had a lovely stay, will happily return and recommend to our friends.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank viccij
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, September 11, 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I was pleased to learn that you received excellent service from our Reception team and enjoyed the breakfast.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.