3,183 results
All reviewsclifford's towertwo double bedscar parkexcellent locationcastle museumcentral locationreception staffbreakfast was excellentstayed for one nightshort breakvaletshamblespubsminster
Reviewed April 3, 2016 via mobile

We took a two night break at The Hilton, taking advantage of a 45% discount...this brought the price down to reasonably expensive.

We were expecting a couple of days of semi-opulence, given their regular pricing, but were underwhelmed at best.

The rooms are roughly the same standard as any budget hotel. Definitely nothing special. The beds however were the worst I've ever slept in. We stayed in room 124 and the bed was uneven, with a ridge in the middle, making it slope at alsorts of weird angles. It was impossible to find a comfy sleeping position.

To make matters worse, the duvet cover stitching was loose and we found ourselves constantly wrapped in cotton threads.

On the second day we brought this matter to reception's notice and I must say the staff were incredibly obliging. We were offered a change of rooms and got chance to try the new room's bed first, which was in a much better state of repair.

The staff member did say that all the beds and mattresses were the same throughout the hotel, but that some maybe newer than others

The second night's sleep was marginally better, but still way worse and less comfortable than any other night in a hotel I have ever had.

I personally wouldn't stay at this hotel again if you paid me!

The money that we saved as a result of the 45% discount, will no doubt end up in the pocket of an Osteopath, whom I now need to correct my aching back.

If you like an over-firm mattress, on an uneven bed frame, with old bedding and ridiculously soft pillows, then this hotel is for you.

I hasten to add that the staff throughout the hotel were fantastic. Friendly, approachable and attentive and did everything they could to help. However, they are not magicians and cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Next time in York I'm going with Lenny Henry and staying at a Premier Inn. At least they refund your money if you have a poor night's sleep.

Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Garry D
Reviewed April 3, 2016

Stayed at hotel on 6th and 7th of March my mother had died 2weeks earlier and it was our ruby wedding on 6th of March . We booked family room and took our grandchildren with us to try to cheer our selves up. When we eventually got keys we went to room to unpack our children had left champagne and flowers in room the hotel had also left wine and sweets. My 4year old grandson is asmatic and we immediately saw lots of fluff and dust every wherein room but the scertin boards and lower ledges where filthy not what is expected from Hilton group.room was very tired and needs urgent update . Reported this to reception lovely young lady showed us another room but this was no better reluctantly agreed to have our room recleaned. Went out sightseeing for day when it came to bedtime we had to sit with our coats on has room had become very cold rang reception they sent up an electrical radiator which warmed the room but got that hot we had to turn it off in case 4 year old touched it and got bad burns. We stayed on a bed breakfast and evening meal tariff breakfast was fantastic evening meals where poor we even payed supplements for sirloin steaks which where terrible and second night ordered fish and chips which where greasy and soggy mess,by this time we felt too embarrassed to complain. When we arrived at hotel we took lift on floor of lift somebody had dropped chips on floor my grandson picked one up I told him they where dirty . On day we left hotel they where still on lift floor, not what is expected from premium Hilton brand. York is a family favourite for short breaks this trip turned into a nightmare considering we where trying to lift our spirits after a family bereavement. We passed our comments onto guest assistance they immediately offered us a 2 night stay in any Hilton hotel we are very pleased with but it is only on. Bed only stay we will find this offer difficult to accept has full board is going to cost nearly 300 pounds for 2night stay .we really appreciate this offer but had hoped for at least help with breakfast. The Hilton York fell far short of expectations but we never got opportunity to speak to manager as all we wanted was to get home and try to forget this bad taste.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank Edward H
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2016

Dear Edward H,

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback following your stay.

I am very sorry to hear of your extremely poor experience here at our Hotel and I would personally like to apologise for the shortfalls during your time here with us.

Please be assured that I will be addressing each and every concern you have raised in your review with my departmental Managers and I will be monitoring the improvements that have been made to ensure no further experience occur.

Thank you for your feedback which is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. I truly appreciate the time and effort taken to communicate your points to us and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel to show you we can do better.

Reviewed April 3, 2016

Most people think of the other well known lady ( liz ! ) for her afternoon tea , every time we have attempted to do so have met with huge queues. In York why not try the Hilton for something far more pleasant. We tried the afternoon tea at £13.50 a head on Bank holiday Monday and expected it to be busy , but no , we were the only people in there. Why don't Hilton advertise the fact that they serve afternoon tea, on a board outside ? The food was very nice, the service excellent and nice ambience within overlooking the tower close by.I have only rated this as a 4 because i cannot review it as a restaurant but only as a hotel and I didn't stay in the hotel .

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family

Dear mikezhivago,

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Delighted to read you had an enjoyable Afternoon Tea with us at Hilton York and found the food and service to be excellent whilst enjoying the lovely view of Cliffords' Tower.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again for another enjoyable visit.

Reviewed April 2, 2016

We arrived with high expectations of the Hilton in York and we were not disappointed. Claire from reception is definitely worth highlighting as she worked so hard to make our visit exceptional. Many thanks to her and the team for a great visit to York.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled with family

Dear Alex H,

Thank you for your five star review.

It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and delighted to read you had a great stay and received exceptional service from all my team especially Claire, I have passed your kind comments on to Claire.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, and may I suggest booking via Hilton.com where we frequently have amazing offers and promotions.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 2, 2016

Room was tidy though not the greatest I've stayed in. The staff were excellent and made us feel really welcomed. I am happy to recommend the hotel for the staff alone. Location was also good and a nice view.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2016

Dear Paul S,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I am pleased to read that overall you had a great stay and found our location and lovely views of Clifford's Tower nice.

Thank you for mentioning my team, I am proud of them all and have shared your feedback with them.

Should your travels bring you back to the area in the near future I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York.