“Lovely stay”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Had a lovely Sunday night stay in march.

Staff were really friendly on check-in, our room was large and nicely decorated. Only slight issue was room temperature - radiator went the length of one wall and no matter what we tried, we couldn't switch it off!

Breakfast was good . Hotel had a great locAtion.

Was a bit surprised to be charged for valet parking, as we don't even have a car! However reception took the charge off as soon as we told them.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear abi_sloan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased you had a lovely stay with us in March and found my team to be friendly and helpful and enjoyed our great central location.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton York

Reviewed August 9, 2014

"Great location"
Unfortunately that is the only positive thing I can say in this review. When we arrived we were tired and ready to get into our room, but certainly didn't feel welcomed. The desk staff wasn't busy but kept us waiting while they finished their internal conversation. We weren't told about the hotel parking when we arrived and ended up paying to park our car in the car park across from the hotel, then later told we'd have to pay an additional £18 if we wanted to move to the after hours safe hotel car park.
The room was not the same as shown in the website photos. It was clean, but drab and dull as are the outdated lobby and hallways.
The advertised "free" Wi-Fi is only available in the hotel lobby, but costs an additional £15 to have it in the rooms.
Breakfast in the equally unfriendly attached restaurant was overpriced.
When I brought my concerns about the parking & Wi-Fi cost I received a very cold and apathetic response from the desk employee with all blame for the hotel's shortcomings placed on Hilton corporate policies. There was no flexibility or concessions offered and no attempt to think outside the box to accommodate me as a customer. When I posted my review on Facebook, I received a message from the manager with a tone that stopped short of accusing me of lying about actually staying at the hotel (it was booked in my wife's name). He again offered a very half-hearted robotic apology and nothing more.
Out of curiosity, I phoned 3 other nearby hotels and learned that Wi-Fi and parking are included in their package.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank colominge
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear colominge,

Thank you for posting feedback onto TripAdvisor, following your stay at the Hilton York.

I was sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. It's extremely important to us that all of our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

I am disappointed that your overall experience did not wow you and your comments have been shared with the team.

Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

This Hilton has a spectacular location across from Clifford's Tower in York. Perfect access to the entire city centre. We had 2 adults/2 children in a family room; albeit tight with 4 people, the room provided everything we required. The full English breakfast was great; cook to order eggs were a perk.
If you're staying for less than 24 hours, park in the pay-and-park across the street.

Stayed: August 2014
Thank Thomas - Genevi... H

Dear Thomas - Genevi... H,

Thank you for your five star review.

I am really pleased to read that you had a good stay and enjoyed the great service from all of the team. I will be sure to pass your comments on to them personally.

We look forwad to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Very friendly staff and swift service. Allowed us to check in early & valet parking a bonus. We found the price reasonable & worth the cost. Perfectly located, ideal for the city tour bus which stops just outside.

Room Tip: A view of the castle would have been a bonus.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear julie h,

Thank you for your five star review on Hilton York.

Delighted to read you had an excellent time and enjoyed our lovely central location.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Great location stayed in this hotel for two nights it's close to all attractions and restaurants etc. The room was very clean and comfortable staff were nice enough the only complaints I have about the hotel are - The parking cost is 18 pounds that's ridiculous and also the breakfast at 20 pounds!! per person is scandalous it really is. A few minutes walk down the road and you can have a lovely breakfast for more than half!! the price. also the actual cost of the room is a little over priced for just a standard double room. I would think about staying here again if the breakfast was included and the room cost wasn't so high. all in all we had fantastic couple of days in york can't wait to return.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay then read some of the reviews on here and wasn't sure what to expect with a fair few negative reviews. I have stayed in hilton a round the country and always found them to be a brilliant hotel and this was no different to be honest! I was more than happy to stay here for 2 nights. Yes it is a fairly expensive stay and the car parking is expensive but you are aware of this when you book it! The valet service was very good for me and they kept the car all day on the last day after check out which was a bonus. The reception staff are good I had no problems there either. I didn't bother with breakfast or meals in the hotel so I can comment on these I chose to eat around york instead. The location for this hotel is perfect, and the room was clean and a good size with plenty off toiletries. The room was also quiet and comfortable I had no problems what so ever sleeping! I do think at £148 a room a night maybe breakfast or parking or something should be included! Other than that no complaints for me and I would use this hotel again! Maybe on my next visit depending on what is available around york.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

I stay here for business regularly and have previously not had issues with this hotel

As a hiltons honours member I've managed to build up a good set of points to be able to treat my fiancé to a two night stay here when we visited York together

Unfortunately the experience we had was so bad it's made we reconsider any future business stays here

The rooms are the standard fare for this type of hotel and the location opposite Clifford Tower is good.

The issue we had was with the noise and complete disregard for our complaint we made

On the first night of our stay a wedding party was staying and holding their wedding in the venue. Obviously it's expected there will be a level of noise from guests drinking until late and staying in the hotel. So why separate these guests and place them next to non wedding hotel guests

We were first woken at 1am by a loud and clearly far to intoxicated man arguing with other guests directly outside our room (clearly the hotel has no issue continuing to serve guests who have had far too much to drink already)

After asking the people outside our room to be quiet they continued to shout and argue and having tried to raise reception with no joy we then proceeded to have to put up with this noise until around 1.45am. Ruining our nights sleep and leaving us tired for the next day.

On raising this with the front desk the next morning a bland apology was offered with little concern shown.

I wouldn't say this spoiled our trip to York entirely but being extremely tired the following day certainly did not help us enjoy the rest of our stay.

As I said before I use this hotel regularly (around 15-20 times a year)

After this experience with my fiancé I will reconsider in future

One to avoid if you plan on having a decent nights sleep!

• Stayed: August 2014