“Business & Leisure”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Good for business and as a central tourist location. The restaurant is great but I have found the room service food to be a bit "hit & miss" and I stay there at least 4 times a year. Don't bother upgrading your room as it is the same size as normal double you just get dressing gowns, free water & fruit (unless of course you want of the aforementioned!)

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ValerieSymes
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear ValerieSymes,

Thank you for posting feedback onto TripAdvisor, following your stay at the Hilton York.

I am pleased to read that you enjoy your stay with is and found the restaurant to be great. Your comments regarding the room service food have been noted and shared with the Head Chef for his attention.

I look forward to welcomingyou back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Excellent position for a visit to York. Staff helpful and friendly. Facilities very good. Rooms very clean and well maintained throughout the stay. Excellent breakfast. I did not eat and evening meal in the hotel. Valet parking service is excellent and very handy when arriving after a long drive.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear DVBUK1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.
I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and found our location excellent for exploring the lovely city of York.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Martin Brandam

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was a one night business trip and I thought the hotel might be rather impersonal due to the size and obvious quick turnover of guests in this highly touristy area. That was not the case. My room was ready early and was large and comfy. However, it was really cold. I found a house keeper in the corridor and asked about the heating and in less than 5 minutes she came with a large portable radiator which she installed and switched on for me and also a big fluffy dressing gown. And all with a big smile. Sorted!
Breakfast was of excellent quality with a friendly lady frying eggs to order.
All in all, very efficient and a pleasant stay.
But I chose not to order wine from the hotel bar as that was very expensive!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Purplepixie48,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I was delighted to read that you had a lovely stay and found my team to be most efficient. Also pleased you enjoyed the breakfast, especially Shirley, our breakfast chef. I am indeed very proud of all my team and will be sharing your great feedback with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had a great stay - especially after coming from London!! Friendly staff, clean - large room, affordable price, great location with a VERY good breakfast. After 5 nights in London, it was a very NICE change to arrive in York!!

I am a Hilton Honors Gold & was upgraded to a suite. About 5 or 6 of my London hotel room could have fit into my suite. I was given a bottle of wine, nuts & candies in my room as a nice welcome gift. I don't drink red wine but enjoyed the candies. Also given a coupon for a drink at the bar.

My only negative about the room would have been cold. It was very cold in York & while I turned the radiator heat on, it was rather cold being a large room.

I really enjoyed breakfast - - especially the delightful women who cooked the eggs to order.

GREAT location - across the street from the Clifford Tower & Viking Center, easy walking to the Shambles - all of the sights.

I went on the Ghost Walk - - Per the Ghost Walk people the hotel is on the location of an ancient cemetery.

My stay in York was during a very quiet time - not many tourists or late night party goers!

One of my best stays during my UK travel!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PinkSurvivor
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear PinkSurvivor,

Thank you for your kind feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that we were one of your best stays during your time in the UK.
I am pleased that overall you enjoyed the room upgrade, however you comments regarding the temperature of the room have been noted.

Your feedback will be shared with all my team here and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Staying at the Hilton in York was not a very positive experience. Admittedly we had not booked ahead, we just walked in off the street. We asked for a suite if possible, however the receptionists could not or would not find out what was available it took about 30 minutes to find out there was a twin room available for the one night but it wasn't ready. This was fine so we left and returned about 1 1/2 hours later to check in. I asked if there were any suites and it was confirmed that there were not any suites however a 2 x double room was available. We were given the key, no directions were given and frankly the reception area was shambolic that day.

Our room was very small with two double beds, a broken lamp and a very small bathroom from which there was a strange smell. Anyway we shut the door, didn't complain and went out The room on return was very warm but the window couldn't be opened more than a couple of inches, which was not sufficient to let in enough air to cool the room.

The following morning, we had breakfast, this was so different from our experience to date of the Hilton in York. The room was bright and airy, the tables were large but the best feature was to have a chef at the server, she was so helpful and an absolute exemplary member of staff for this Hotel. She spoke to everyone and had a smile for all.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear maxBadgworth,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience on check in and with the room. Your comments have been noted and shared with the relevant Heads of Departments.

On a brighter note I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and found Shirley, our breakfast chef to be most helpful and friendly and have passed your comments on.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope you will condiser staying with us again to show you that we can do better.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel is reasonably located to the city core. The rooms were small but clean. The best things about the hotel was the restaurant (nice size, good food & service) & service level of the staff. There is no gym on site however, the hotel has a relationship with a gym about 3 blocks away which was very good. City tour bus pick ups were close by as was a rendezvous point for a 'ghost walk'. There is an elevator in the hotel. We would stay here again if in York.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear cgycda ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your stay.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the restaurant,food and service to be of a high standard. It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I will be sharing your comments with my team.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to the Hilton York.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We ended up staying at this excuse for a hotel after staying the previous night at the Du Vin York. As they had no rooms left on the Saturday we ended up at the Hilton and being well and truly robbed, ripped off and mugged to the tune of £199 for one night which didn't include breakfast or parking. The room was worse than a travel lodge, bathroom the size of a cupboard with a bed and pillows that would make the back seat of my car feel like 5 star opulence. As it was the York marathon the hotel admitted we were paying an exceptionally high price for that evening but as all of York was fully booked the management decided what the hell, who cares if the customer is not happy, complains and kick up a stick Hilton are still going to rob you. The noise of cheesy music could be heard blaring from downstairs until 12pm, then at 6am the clanging and banging of the radiators woke us.In between this I don't thing I v had such a bad night sleep since our two year old was born and we had to do the night shift with feeds, the bed and pillows are terrible. I complained about the room and the extortionate room rate for which the hotel gave us 2 bottles of water and a small bottle of red wine, don't drink red! Eventually a very apologetic lady on reception gave us complementary breakfast and a voucher for 2 drinks in the bar. I have been a HIlton honour member since 2001 but after this complete and utter rip off will never stay in one of these hotels again. I honestly would not have expected to pay more then £75 including breakfast for this hole of a hotel. Please don't waste your money go to the premier inn or better still the Du Vin.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Matt31212013,

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Tripadvisor, following your recent stay at the Hilton York hotel.

I am sorry to read of your disappointing experience at Hilton York and that you felt your stay was not good value for money. All your feedback has been shared with my team for their attention.

Feedback is always important, as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. I truly appreciate the time and effort taken to communicate your points to us. Your loyalty is important to us and I am sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectations and hope that this stay has not deterred you from using Hilton hotels in the future.

Assuring you our best intentions at all times.