“Enjoyable Stay”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Lovely stay in the beautiful city of York. Plenty to do for all ages. Stayed at the Hilton Hotel in Tower Street which was a little expensive but in a great location. Staff at the hotel were helpful, room clean and tidy, but a bit dated compared to other Hilton's we have stayed in.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (3,002)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We booked at the Hilton due to it being very close the the theatre in York where we had booked to see a show that nice. The hotel location is excellent, it is just a few minutes walk from the shopping streets of York. The hotel however was not good. The bathroom was dirty with other peoples hairs when we arrived, and noise from above kept us awake during the night. We booked a "double double" room and were given a room with one double bed and one single bed. Surely this should be called a "double single"! At £170 per night it was well overpriced. Also, the house wine in the bar is charged between £9.50 - £10.50 per large glass!!!! Hilton hotels in the UK are really a thing of the past.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed for two nights over a weekend. My husband and I stay in hotels both for business and pleasure frequently. Felt the hotel was overpriced. Car parking is £17 per 24 hours, which is a total rip off given that other local hotels provide free parking. Room cost did not include breakfast or wi-fi, again something that other local hotels do. Room was OK, but nothing special. Location was convenient for centre. Didn't see any outdoor seating area which was a shame as the weather was fine (but could be mistaken on this point).

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonYork, Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Nic1972,

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regards to your stay with us.
I note from your feedback you found the internet is not free, the agreement is a national one for Hilton Hotels set by Head Office. Wifi is available complimentary in our lobby area, Tower’s Bar, Tower’s Restaurant and Henry J Beans Bar and Grill.

On a brighter note I am pleased that your found our location convenient for exploring York.

Once again thank you for your feedback. Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have never stayed in a Hilton before and so I was looking forward to seeing what this hotel was like and we booked the family room for a Saturday night stay. The room was fairly practical, clean and big enough and the best things about it were the lovely toiletries in the bathroom. The worst things about it was the cling-clang-creak noises of the radiator every time the heating system kicked into life and the strong smell of cigarette smoke in the corridor outside the room (that was coming through the vents). For the cost of the room, it was nothing special and we probably wouldn't go back or recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
HiltonYork, Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Emma W,

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that you found the hotel to be disappointing but do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the area in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed for two nights in September, along with my parents.
We arrived early (before noon) and provisionally checked-in (unsurprisingly our rooms weren't ready that early) and dropped our bags. Check in was efficient and the staff were very helpful.
It was my step-mums birthday whilst we were staying, so I spoke to the restaurant staff about arranging a couple of extra little touches for dinner the second night which the staff were only too pleased to help with by decorating the table and arranging a small birthday cake for her.
My wife and I had booked a suite which was disappointing compared to the suite we had in the Blackpool Hilton the weekend prior - the room was a lot smaller, bathroom was very small, bed was a bit uncomfortable and room had no view. My parents had a superior room which was ok, although the additional single bed in the room did get in the way a bit and blocked access to the window.
The food we had was great; breakfast was usual Hilton breakfast, including the horrible scrambled eggs - I don't understand how Hilton Hotels can consistently make scrambled eggs so horrible! However the freshly cooked fried and poached eggs were superb, as was the member of staff cooking them!
The evening meal we had in the hotel restaurant (with birthday cake) was really nice, lovely food and great service.
Check out was efficient and friendly and we left our bags to collect later, which again was handled efficiently.
Hotel is very handy for visiting central York, being in the centre and a short walk from the main tourist attractions.
Overall it was a pleasant stay, made more so by the staff and location. I would use the hotel again, but wouldn't book a suite as it's not worth the extra at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear dbrooker,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I am pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant stay and that my team went above and beyond to make your familys stay special. I am indeed very proud of them all and will be sharing your feedback as it serves as a great motivator.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Great location and very quiet. The room was a decent size though we squeezed past each other (there were three of us) each time someone wanted to get to bathroom. The bathroom was not designed very well - shower head was far too near wall so you couldn't wash properly. The sink taps were too far away from sink so when you turned them on water got everywhere. I also found it a pain twisting round to get the toilet roll each time I was on the loo. Apart from that the hotel was fine - breakfast very good and staff friendly and helpfull (replacing our door card each time it did not work - apparently you should not have it beside a mobile phone or it will stop working!).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Linda M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased you had a lovely stay and enjoyed our Hilton breakfast and found my team to be most helpful and friendly. I will be sharing your comments with them all as they serve as a great motivator.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York.

Kind regrds,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We went to the Hilton Hotel with family for my sons wedding at Barley Hall, the room was quite big, clean and comfy bed, we upgraded to the deluxe and had a view of Clifford Tower, the breakfast was first class lots to choose from, we all enjoyed our stay at the Hilton.