“Very disappointing”

Ranked #38 of 45 Hotels in York
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked this hotel without checking trip advisor first. I thought booking a hotel under the "Hilton" name would be enough to ensure a quality stay but I was way off the mark. I wish I'd checked trip advisor first as I can now see from he reviews that it's far from ideal.

I had booked a "double double room" (for one night) meaning that there were 2 double beds in the room.....ample for me, my husband and my 5 and 3 year old kids. The cost was 270 pounds for the room and a further 17 pounds for parking. When we arrived at the hotel the concierge took our car keys in order to park the car and told us that our car would be parked in the Novotel car park......a short 5-10 walk away. Straight away I expressed my displeasure with this......not only because I was paying £17 for what I thought was secure underground parking but also because there were many items in the car for the kids which we thought we would have easy access to. I was told that there were only xx amount of spaces in the Hilton car park and that it was full.

Checked in and went straight to our room. It was fine but the adjectives stop there. It was small.....although you do have to expect that from city/town centre hotels and the size of the room really didn't bother me at all. However in general I seen no difference whatsoever between the room I was looking at and a premier inn room (apart from the cost obviously). We hunted for the air conditioning (we happened to be staying on one of the hottest days of the year) but only discovered a radiator under the window. I was convinced I must have missed something as I fully expected the temperature to be controlled by some sort of air con unit whether hot or cold......so I went back to reception to ask about it. I was told that only the "deluxe" rooms have air con. I explained that I thought paying £270 for a night stay was a deluxe price and therefore didn't think I was being unreasonable expecting a higher standard. The receptionist was polite but blunt in telling me that "for the number of hot days in the year the hotel is not required to have air con in every room". There was a standard fan in the room and I must admit when I requested another they did oblige. The electrical wiring on one of the lamps was dubious to say the least. Exposed wires and insulting tape isn't what I'd call family friendly and my husband and I were unwilling to let our children venture to that side of the room. Adding to that, the toiletries in the bathroom were all half empty apart from the conditioner which was full. We were also shocked at having to pay a further £15 for WiFi (so we didn't) and would also like to point out that this service is complimentary at some of the budget stream hotels and inns. Again though - I really wouldn't have minded paying it if it was a reasonable price.

Breakfast - the staff were lovely. The food was average. Again the only adjective I can muster for it is "fine".....certainly nothing to write home about.

All in all a very disappointing stay. Hilton York - I think you have a brass neck charging the prices that you do and offering very poor quality in return. I have always thought of Marriott being your biggest rival but I have to say they are in a different league (and win hands down) compared to my recent stay with you. I will think twice before staying in any Hilton again and will DEFINITELY be checking trip advisor before I book.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a week's stay with my family. Fantastic location, clean rooms, friendly and efficient staff - especially Shirley who's in charge of preparing eggs for breakfast. My son had lovely conversations with her every morning. Hotel has parking too.

• Stayed July 2013
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

stayed here recently and have to say was disappointed. I have been a member of HHonors for many years and have stayed at many Hiltons throughout the UK for both business and leisure. This hotel falls below the normal Hilton formula you would expect.
Positives:
location - central and ideally located. York is a lovely city
staff members - in particular the lady at breakfast - genuine, attentive and engaging.

Negatives:
no air conditioning in the bedrooms - the room was stifling and reminiscent of an 80's package holiday in Spain. In this day and age, room temperature control should be standard. we could not sleep properly - interesting to note that others have highlighted this.
rooms - small and tired looking, pretty bland. it was definitely the smallest family room we have ever stayed in. When you are a HHonors member you sometimes get an upgraded room - not on this trip
checkin - arrived at 3pm and told room not ready - upon questioning by myself and a further phone call it became ready in less than 1 min ???
price - expensive for what you get
dinner - service can be slow although staff are pretty friendly. ordered fish and chips and the quantities were embarrasingly small - we complained and the waitress agreed with us !! I did hear other people complain when we were there. Food was okay but nothing special and expensive for what you get. i would recommend to people not go DBB as there looked to be lovely restaurants closeby
other facilities - nothing really on offer here eg, gym , pool

Overall, Hilton should either invest in this property eg. aircon in each room (there is no way of getting away from this) or consider the impact on its brand. there are cheaper alternatives that i would suggest over this hotel. I can imagine its a bit of a cash cow given its ideal location but this is short term view.. a shame really

Room Tip: dont go in the hot summer. go on B&B basis and enjoy dinner elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

It is very good location but at £244 per night expect more from the room eg. Fridge etc. also this did not include wi Fi which was meant to be an extra 14.99 but the kind receptionist included it when I expressed my disappointment . The room was clean and ok but nothing special .

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great location and I think that prospective guests need to remember that they are in regional England. Staff were excellent, as was the food in the restaurant. It is a fabulous location to explore. No fridge though. Safe very low to the ground for the older generation. But ..... overall very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
wolves england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just had a lovely 2 days in York . Hotel staff were superb and very professional . Luckily we were upgraded to a superior room with air con so helped with this crazy summer weather we are having ! Breakfast was very good and the lady sorting the cooked food / eggs was a real character ! She deserves a pay rise !!

• Stayed July 2013
Stafford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

What can I say? As a family we've visited many Hilton hotels around the Country but we were severely disappointed with this one; I'd rate it marginally better than an average Travelodge. You certainly pay for the name rather than the room quality! We had a family room that was just about adequate for a couple of nights. Check in was okay with the car driven to off site parking, but it was a bit of a comedy trying to get it back when we checked out. I wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Bar bills were super inflated with mediocre quality drinks.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
1 Thank Martin2206