“Adequate”

Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Melbourne, Australia
“Adequate”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The room was a bit small and there was no air-conditioning. Good thing our stay was not during a heatwave, although it was a bit warm in June. The hotel should provide summer blankets instead of the standard quilts. Good location though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Planet Oz,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry you found the rooms small and warm, we do try to provide fans in the standard rooms to help make guests stay more comfortable. On a positive note I am pleased you found our central location good.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Deputy Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Manchester
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I find hotel options in York really limited and the Hilton York seems to be one of the top places by default because of this. I stayed in their standar room for one night on a saturday:

The Good:

- Great service: As is what you usually get in a Hilton, they will sort you out no matter your needs. Everyone is nice and there is generally a great service
- Good facilities: Looks newly refub'd and so everything was clean and relatively modern. My only gripe here was the TV was poor (see below)
- Brilliant location: This is why the Hilton York excels - it's smack bang in the centre but in a little road that offers a great view of the castle and there is no noise outside at all. Brilliant spot

The Bad

- Uncomfy Bed: Relatively hard. For £180 a night you'd expect some form of memory foam but this was a basic bed - one step up from being two singles shunned together (which is a pet hate)
- Other guests/noise pollution from other rooms: A tad unfair to bring this up I know, but because of the lack of options in York, the Hilton has a vast array of guests. My stay included a hen do in the corridor that kept us awake at 1am and a family with a crying baby and infant that woke us at 7am - both not telling the infant to be quiet in the corridor and having the tv too loud
- TV: Poor reception and only about 20 channels, and missing some really key options - also the remote didnt work very well. For me, this is a basic in the modern day
- No Wifi: Unless you pay or are a Silver/Gold member. Again, another basic error. Why is it hotels can't sort out their internet offerings. I can go to Starbucks and pay £2 for a drink and have good internet. I go to a top hotel and pay £180 for a night and not get it unless I fork out another £15 - shocker.

So, in all, I would recommend the HIlton but only if you can grab a bargain/offer.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from Hens and Stags
1 Thank fatboyslick
HiltonYork, Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear fatboyslick,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend us.

Your comments have been noted and passed on to the relevant Managers for their attention.
WIFI is chargeable in bedrooms, however we do offer complimentary access to all guests in public areas.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Ryan Gauci,
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

On arrival was advised to leave our car at the side of the hotel and that the car parking attendant would deal with it the attendant was very pleasant
Booking in was a pleasure stefan made us welcome and explained the layout of the hotel and Breakfast times etc cheeky chap making us laugh.
On arrival into the room everything very clean and a good view of cliffords Tower perhaps just one small fault the pillows look big and fluffy but by next morning they very flat but bed really comfy .
Breakfast next day was a treat good choice of breakfast items and lovely smiling staff and good organisation when we went back to our room we meet our room attendant who was funny and singing she brightened up our day keep up the good work Hilton we will be back .

1 Thank deano223
Dear dulais,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Hilton York.

I was pleased to read your comments and you had a lovely stay and enjoyed the great breakfast. I am delighted that you found all my team to be most welcoming, I am very proud of my team as they work extremely hard and I will be sharing your comments with them as they serve as a great motivator.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Melrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Very disappointing stay in the Hilton York - poor service, staff disinterested, car left by staff unlocked in hotel car park for duration of stay, uninspiring food, staff noisily dismantling and resetting tables in the dining room while we were having dinner, no help offered with bags for disabled parent - well below the standard expected from the Hilton group - have stayed before but no plans to stay again and would not reccomend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Tullisfamily,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am sorry you had a very disappointing stay and we have replied direct to you by email.

Deputy Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Check in reception was rude upon check in, I was informed that the upgrade that the website offered us was not elegible, but I guess maybe the website was wrong, room was dirty, sheets were disgusting, we called to have them changed which they did and sadly this was our best expereince at the hotel. one of the two elevators was broken then whole time we were there (over 3 days), and we left towels to be changed with the room, and they simply re-folded them and didn't change them. Parking was ridiculous. Only good thing was the location, it is close to everything. Surprised that the Hilton chain lets them operate this way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Ronton37,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas, our services failed to deliver to your expectations, whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to show you that we can do better.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel is located in an excellent location for everything the city has to offer. The room we stayed in was pleasant although the bathroom was small and slightly dirty with hairs in the corners. The buffet breakfast was excellent as were the staff. Overall we would stay at the hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Adam J,

Thank you for completing a review of the hotel in TripAdvisor.

I was glad to read you had a great stay, and thank you for commenting on the great location and excellent buffet breakfast.

Your comments regarding the room cleanliness has been noted and passed on to the Housekeeping department for their attention.

Hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The bed and breakfast was nice, although paying for parking was ridiculous. The rooms are clean and tidy. The breakfast was a free for all but very nice and not soaked in fat. The staff are friendly and very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to any travellers.

• Stayed September 2012
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear cerebrumuk,

Thank you for your kind comments on this website.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and especially liked our Hilton breakfast. I will be passing on your comments to the Chef. I am also delighted that you found my team to be most helpful and friendly, I am indeed proud of my team and will be sharing you feedback with them.

Thank you again for your truly valuable comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.