Lamb & Lion Inn(York)(Great Value!)
$142
$163
$176
$138
3,158 results
All reviewsclifford's towertwo double bedscar parkexcellent locationcastle museumcentral locationreception staffbreakfast was excellentstayed for one nightshort breakvaletshamblespubsminster
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The Hilton York hotel is in a great location. Right in the centre and overlooking Cliffords Tower. The staff are very nice and the bar is lovely. When we checked in, we were hoping to get a room with a view of the tower. We didn't. But as thats the luck of the draw we didn't let it bother us. The room itself bothered us. The room was clean but tiny, and the decor was dated and scuffed. There is no safe and no mini bar. The York Hilton is rated 4 stars (we normally aim for 4-5) however, we found it to be 3 stars at best. Although we only booked a double standard room, at 4 stars you have certain expectations. We shrugged it off, dropped our bags, headed straight out to explore York and had a lovely meal and a great evening. The next morning when switching on the shower, my partner was horrified when she noticed the bottom of the bath was covered in chunks of mold, skin and hair that appear to have come up from the plug. It would not rinse away so we called reception who sent house cleaning. When we raised this issue at check out, the receptionist said it was being investigated but it must have been us and perhaps we were sick in the bath the night before! We were disgusted! We do not vomit mold, skin and hair and then request house cleaning to come and sort it out! By way of apology the receptionist cleared the extortionate £17 overnight fee to park at the hotel from the bill. We will not be going back.

1  Thank Martin M
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This is a Great Hotel Fantastic location, very cleen, reading other reviews we didnt find our room noisey. Breakfast was really good with a buzzing atmosfear, the buffet ladie is Brilliant.

Room Tip: We were able to park easilly on the road so avoided parking charge and the receptionist told us there was limited on street parking
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jason r
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I was delighted to read your comments and pleased to learn that you enjoyed the fantastic location and the good breakfast atmosphere. I will be sharing your comments with my team as they work extremely hard.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Styayed for a night at the end of a week away in the North York Moors to get some time in York.... Hotel is in a great location, easy (less than 5min) from the main sights of York, and 10mins from the minster.

The restaurant and bar area is welcoming and well arranged, and beer cold, reception friendly, and how they manage to get all the cars in the car park is a mystery (all parking is via valet), but unfortunately that all comes at a price, and the rooms are truly awful.

The room was small - no tiny, unwelcoming, and at night noisy from the street (on 3rd floor), the bathroom was one of the smallest i've seen in a long time in a Hilton, and we were alleged to be in an upgraded room from my Hilton Honours Diamond card (so I have no idea what the so call standard rooms would be like, but hope to never find out).

We didn't have any of the usual complimentary water in the room, rather a with a tag suggesting a charge of £3.50 for drinking it (not something i've experienced before from a Hilton... on mentioning this to reception, I was informed me that as a city centre hotel space is hard to come by, and the exec rooms are those with a tower view ... whether I was sold a line here I don't know, the key was it didn't ruin the holiday as it was a Saturday night, and we were out till about 2am anyhow...

In the morning the breakfast was the usual Hilton fayre (good food and plenty on offer), although the hotel frustrated me by not delivering the newspaper i'd asked for on check in. The parking cost £17, but hey, for overnight in York that's OK.

In summary - it's a great location, but I would not return if I was staying for work, as would want somewhere far more comfortable for a longer stay, and would not recommend to anyone paying for a room (thank goodness for Hilton Honours points) - Overall poor.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel. However, I was concerned to learn that you were disappointed by the size of the room.

Thank you for your loyalty. I am disappointed that you won’t be returning back to the Hilton York or be able to recommend us due to these issues but I do sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to prove that we can do better.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 12, 2012

The Rockingham was the room we were staying in at the Hilton York...i loved everything about the city of YORK but we booked a deluxe room and were a little dissapointed to say the least...if this was deluxe i would hate to view a standard...The hotel itself is very nice but i was expecting a lot more from the HILTON Chain,,,Michael was very good at breakfast and the staff were every accomadating helpful and friendly....i would recommend the hotel for being close for shops and places of interest for eating out and shopping but i must admit, for luxury, which is what i was expecting...i was left feeling let down...sorry Hilton...but you have a lot to beat...
Thank you David for taking me to YORK...i love you very much XX

Room Tip: Look on line and check out room before you book...see pictures if possible...
1  Thank raven1GeordieLand

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was most concerned to learn that you were disappointed and felt let down with the size and standard of the room you were allocated. Whilst as I am sure you will appreciate that the size and structure of the building is somewhat out of our control, I can confirm that our deluxe rooms are differentiated by the added extras such as a dressing gown, a front facing room with a view of Clifford’s Tower, in room air conditioning and a club basket.

On a positive note I was pleased to learn that you found my team to be brilliant, especially Michal, I will be passing on your comments to them as they serve as a great motivator.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Regards,

Reviewed April 12, 2012

ok here we go, i ordered this as a suprise for my girlfriend
got to the hotel and was greeted by the smell of drains, not a one off either every time we ventured out there was this foul smell of drains

secondly they said a spacious deluxe room?
as others said what was the deluxe part of it?
bed was small and hard
the room was small the bathroom had a half cut shower that you barely had room to turn around in
the toilet was so close to the shower cubicle my knees touched the screen, one set of shower gel shampoo and conditioner as a couple sharing this is a bit scant, none left at the door the following day either

i would expect a safe deposit box and a mini fridge / bar in the room
neither were there
the noise was disrupting early morning with deliveries cars busses wagons all going past the glazing is not good enough although the view was great

these details are are what should be there in a deluxe room

that said the staff were all brilliant and a hats off to the star Michael who greeted us with a smile and handshake every morning at breakfast a very pleasant and warm person

the staff in the restaurant were all efficient and friendly
the breakfasts were hearty if you wanted or healthy if you wanted also
i opted hearty : )

if the little things had been done i would give the hilton top marks but these let the hilton name and reputation down

we stayed in the Rockingham deluxe? room nice balcony to sit on in the sunshine
but be aware of onlookers from the tower the net curtains may save your blushes : )

the town centre is 5 mins walk away so great location the bus to and from the station is worth the fare even though it's 15 min walk would advise get a bus or cab.

Dave & Lynne

Room Tip: front facing rooms can be noisy

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas, our services failed to deliver to your expectations. Your observations and opinions have been taken most seriously and, whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

I hope we are able to welcome you back in the not too distant future to show you that we can do better.

Regards,