3,182 results
All reviewsclifford's towertwo double bedscar parkexcellent locationcastle museumcentral locationreception staffbreakfast was excellentstayed for one nightshort breakvaletshamblespubsminster
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have just returned from a 3 night break at the Hilton York, staying from 24th-27th November 2011 for the St Nicholas Fayre. I chose the Hotel based on its central location within the city walls and proximity to the main shopping area. As a solo traveller, I wanted to be within walking distance of the main sights and shopping area and was not disappointed. I couldn't fault the hotel. I had a double room on the 2nd floor on a bed and breakfast basis. The room was spotlessly clean (cleaned daily), comfortable, warm and had all the amenities needed for a weekend break - tea and coffee making facilities (replenished daily) Iron and ironing board, hairdryer and bathroom toiletries. Breakfast was served buffet style from 7am-10am (11am at weekend) It was freshly prepared and there was plenty of choice. Only down side was that there was only 1 toaster which led to queues. All staff I met were friendly and helpful.

The location could not be better. Coppergate Shopping Centre and Jorvik Viking Centre are literally around the corner from the hotel. The Shambles and pedestrian shopping areas are no more than a 5 min walk away. York Minster is a 5-10 min walk. There are also plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby.

I was easily able to explore the city on foot and the hotel was close enough to be able to return to during the day for a short rest before heading out again.

I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel and will defintely stay here again in future.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank scarlet10
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review.

I was pleased to learn that you had an excellent weekend break and found all my team to be friendly and helpful. It is a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will be passing on your comments to them as they serve as a great motivator.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Hotel Manger

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We visit York two or three times a year, and the choice of accomodation dictates where we stay. At this time of year it is primarilly driven by XMas shopping, and as such you want to be within easy walking distance of the shops and city centre. This limits your choice, but I've found this to be the best.
Situated minutes for the Jorvik centre and the Shambles it is our first choice for city centre stay. It can be a bit pricey, but it does have a good stanfdard of service, the rooms are clean and spacious (we had an executive room), the setting is scenic opposite Cliffords Tower and the York City museum.
York offers many eateries so we have never eaten in the restaurant, although the menu certainly looks nice and if the standard of the breakfast is anything to go by then I'm sure th evening meal would be very nice. Parking within the hotel is free provided you arrive in time to get into the car park under the hotel, otherwise you will end up using the municipal car park opposite whcih you will have to pay for.
Staff are friendly and a mix of brits and eastern european, both of which are equally pleasant and helpful. It doe have a sports bar attached to it round the corner (Henry J Bean), if that is your 'thing', but all in all it is a good place to stay to enjoy what York City centre has to offer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on this website.
I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be in a great location. I was also delighted to learn that the room was spacious and you had a lovely view of Cliffords Tower.

Once again thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manger

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Sayed here for my mum's 70th. Three rooms booked and paid for by my father but he didn't get the upgrade, my brother did! Maid service was poor and even after complaining they still didn't fix all the issues. This hotel isn't worthy of the Hilton brand, it should be one of their lesser brands.
Won't stay here again as there are much better hotels in York

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

Your feedback is much appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

I am disappointed to read that you won’t be returning back to the Hilton York due to these issues but I do sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to prove that we can do better.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I recently just got back from a 3 night stay at the Hilton York, and after reading the reviews before i went i was a bit worried about staying there. I can honestly say that it is a lovely hotel.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was very clean and had all the things you would need (ironing board, kettle, hair-dryer etc. The breakfast and afternoon tea were great, and the location is fantastic.
All in all a great hotel for visiting lovely York.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kelly A
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The best thing about this hotel by far is the staff, who went out of their way to be friendly and helpful - especially Reception, the valet parking staff and in the bar - first class and so often missing these days. However, my room was a disappointment. If this was an Executive room, I would have hated to have seen a standard one! There was a hole (apparently burnt/melted) in the curtain, the ironing board was broken and the lock on the door did not work. Parking is £17/day even if you are a guest, which would make me thinks twice about staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was pleased to read your comments regarding my team and that you found them to be most helpful and friendly, and received first class service, especially the reception and bar staff. My team work hard to ensure we deliver the highest standards of customer service and I am pleased that on this occasion it was no exception.

However, I was disappointed to learn that you found the room disappointing. Your comments have been noted and I have since spoken with my Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager who are taking the necessary actions to rectify these problems.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager