“Still poor!!”

Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in York
England
“Still poor!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Against my best wishes, I returned to this hotel, I've reviewed it before, I was booked into it by someone else on my behalf. Amazingly, after my first complaint I was offered a half price stay 'to give the opportunity to put things right' -piffle- I tried 2 times to book this offer, the person I was told to speak to was not around on both occasions, and failed to return my call, on both occasions. As a result I vowed never to return to this dive, and I was annoyed when I found out i had been booked in here, as I specifically ask not for this place. However, I try to be optimistic. Unfortunately, despite comments about various issues in other reviews, and promises that these are taken on board, I can confirm that my 2nd stay was as bad as my first. This place is a misrepresentation of the Hilton brand.

Room Tip: Choose elsewhere- pure and simple
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Timetotravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gateshead
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Took my wife and son to York for a half term couple of days. Location of the hotel is excellent. Parked up outside the hotel as advised by the receptionist and the hotel valet park the car for you. Takes away loads of hassle of parking the car and dragging your luggage up from the car park. First time I've stayed at a Hilton. First impressions the staff were friendly and efficient. Checked into our room no probs. Booked a double, double room. The room was clean and well presented. I will admit the rooms are very compact for a 4 star hotel, plus if your at the back of the hotel, there are no inspiring views of York. We decided to try the tex Mex restaraunt which is part of the hotel. At first all seemed good, as the place started to get busier the standard of service went down hill very quickly. We ordered desserts from the menu which had about 6 items on, 2 items of which were unavailable. We waited a good 20 mins for the desserts to turn up, we informed a member of staff who said they would chase them up. At this point a family in the booth next to us left as they had been waiting for nearly an hour for their main course. Another ten mins went by, still no desserts. We decided enough was enough and decided to leave. We got a very curt apology from a member of staff, even though we told them we were staying at the hotel, no attempt was made to make up for the poor service. I think the problem lies with the fact that there is only one chef in the kitchen and no one else, he was overwhelmed. Back to the main hotel, was like a different world, back to good efficient service. Next morn, went down to breakfast, I have to admit the best hotel breakfast my family have ever had. Checked with reception to see if we could leave our car in the car park after we checked out. I was pleased to find I could leave my car there until I needed it. Went down to retrieve an item from the car, I'm glad I let them park the car, never seen so many cars parked in such a small space before, when we went back for the car I took the option to allow the car to be brought out for me. At £17 the valet parking is well worth the money. I would def use this hotel again but the tex Mex restaurant needs to seriously get it's act together as it's standards of service is miles away from the main hotel

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas, our services failed to deliver to your expectations. There can be no excuse for the unacceptable experience that you encountered in our Henry J. Bean’s Bar & Grill. Please be assured that this incident has been taken most seriously and I have had a discussion with my Henry J. Bean’s Manager to express your disappointment and indeed mine. I have insisted on further training for the entire team, with empathise on customer expectations and the importance of customer care. They will be closely monitored by myself and my Duty Management Team to ensure that our service and quality are adhered to at all times and I do not expect this to be a concern in the future.

On a brighter note I was pleased that you did enjoy the breakfast and found the hotel to be great. It is always a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I will be passing this on to my team.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

We have just returned from a family gathering in York and all stayed one or two nights. Very impressed with all the facilities, staff, location and food. The Dinner option was excellent value at £ 15 for three courses. We had a meal in a restaurant recommended to us on the Saturday and it was not a patch on the restaurant meal. Car parking was expensive but worth it with amazing valet service. we have stayed in cheaper hotels in York but highly recommend this.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on this website.

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Hilton York and you would highly recommend us.

I was also pleased to learn that you were very impressed with all the facilities, staff, location and food and found the dinner to be excellent value.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Guildford Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

My wife and I booked into the Hilton York for our anniversary celebration (six years if you are interested). We found the hotel clean and the staff warm and welcoming. The breakfast was excellent and plentiful. We arrived late at night and did not realise until the morning that we had an excellent view of York castle tower.
The room was adequate for our needs with a small bathroom (30 sq ft), TV, radio, tea and coffee making facilities, which were replenished daily, hanging and drawer space and a king size bed, which was very comfortable. Like most hotels the bar prices were high with a pint of lager and a large wine coming to £12.00. Another point to watch out for in the room is the 1 ltr bottle of mineral water that costs an astonishing £3.85.
The hotel is just a few minutes from York city centre (unless you have my sense of direction) and York is a great city break destination with plenty to visit and see. I fully recommend the Hilton as a base for your visit and York is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a front facing room for excellent t views of York castle.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am pleased that you had an excellent anniversary weekend at the Hilton York and you enjoyed the view of Cliffords Tower. I was also pleased to read that you found the breakfast to be excellent and the location great too.

wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

We stayed here for the 2nd time, I cannot fault this hotel. We had 3 nits here. Room was of a high standard, cleaned everyday. We were greeted in the breakfast room every morning by the staff which were very friendly indeed. What more can I say, if your going to York don't hesitate to book this hotel

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on this website.

I was pleased to read that you had another enjoyable stay here at the Hilton York and found the room to be of a high standard, and the staff to be very friendly, it is a pleasure to receive such great feedback, my team work hard to ensure we deliver the highest standards of customer service and I am pleased that on this occasion it was no exception.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another great visit.

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

It was raining when we arrived in York so we decided to check in at the 'Hilton' as it was situated very close to the city centre and we decided to 'push the boat out' and treat ourselves to a 4 Star experience. Staff at reception were very pleasant and we were promptly booked in. On enquiring about WiFi we were informed that it was only available by LAN in the bedrooms and WiFi could be picked up in the foyer/lounge.......at 6 pounds per hour!!!!..in this day and age!!

We took the lift to our room and there was a distinct musty damp smell in the corridor on the way to our room but we couldn't identify it. Our room was nice with a fine big bed but we couldn't get the old radiator to dispense any heat. While the room wasn't cold we could have done some extra heat. We slept very well as it was quiet all night and were well rested in the morning. On leaving our room for breakfast in the morning there was a basin on the ground on the corridor collecting water dripping from the ceiling above, hence the damp smell.

Breakfast was top class with a fine selection and once again the dining room staff were most pleasant and obliging. However the decor in the dining area did look very worn and it was not to the standard that you would expect from a 4 Star hotel.

Overall the staff and food were excellent and certainly exceeded what one would expect from the 'Hilton' however this was let down by the generally tired and worn accommodation and decor sectors.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas, our services failed to deliver to your expectations. Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

On a brighter note I was pleased to learn that you found breakfast to be top class and the staff excellent.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements.

Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

By Hilton standards this Hotel is slightly tired. Staff were friendly and always helpful. The lady who cooked the eggs at breakfast was a joy, although the tinned tomatos were disappointing.
Well positioned within the city and an easy walk to the city centre and main sights.

Room Tip: Try and get front facing room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple