1,471 results
All reviews the main house drawing room national trust downton abbey early morning tea country house stately home grounds are beautiful public rooms homemade biscuits on arrival upgraded to a suite garden suite steam room yorkshire breakfast york racecourse relaxing break
Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

We’ve just returned from an overnight stay in the hotel. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, it has been perfect. The Spa itself is limited, but that didn’t matter, it was enough for us, and we both had fabulous treatments, The evening meal was absolutely delicious, and so was breakfast. The champagne afternoon tea was one of the best we’ve had, especially with the beautiful garden view.
I must mention the staff, who were all very friendly and efficient, and really looked after us. The gardens were lovely, even though it’s the end of the summer.
We would definitely return again.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank VonVon6
Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I visit York regularly and the Middlethorpe Hall and Spa is always our first choice hotel. It’s a very grand building located in gorgeous grounds. The rooms are of a very good standard, though one or two of the bathrooms could do with a bit of a makeover. The food is excellent and the staff are all very friendly and attentive.
Only potential downsides are that it’s located just a little too far from the city centre to be a comfortable walk, and taxis in York can be in short supply, especially at weekends. Also, it’s located very close to the main A64 ring road, so there is a bit of traffic noise, particularly when walking around the grounds.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Glynn H
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

I have just returned from an overnight stay with my daughter at Middlethorpe hall to celebrate her recent graduation.
We arrived on Friday morning and our room was ready early a lovely man called Mark the head porter showed us to our room which was better than we were expecting. We stay in the courtyard room 16 it had 2 rooms a lounge and a double bedroom everything we needed.
The hotel is gorgeous all the staff helpful and polite. We went over to the spa spent a few hours in there and we paid for a treatment which was excellent. The hotel breakfast was very good and drinks in the bar average for the star of hotel. We walked into York from the hotel took about an hour but we went via York racecourse which is just across the road. I hope to return again soon and i would defiantly recommend this hotel. There are also rooms available which are dog friendly.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Wrebany1
Reviewed August 27, 2018

Fantastic stay old fashioned butler service with modern twist ie spa sauna swimming pool right on the race course
Visited york and the outlet close by there is a good pub in local village called woodman inn nice food and good service

Date of stay: September 2017
1  Thank ronbritten57
Reviewed August 27, 2018

We have stayed now 4 times at Middlethorpe over the years,most recently 2 nights in late July. We had the Lady Mary suite, over the main front entrance. This proved a smaller and more broken up space than I had envisaged or had had here previously. It was no doubt something of a better deal too,price wise. An excellent breakfast was supplied. We dined the first night in the hotel, who made allowances for my wife's picky eating habits. We were well pleased!
Being an old mansion, there is of course no A/C, which can be a real problem in intense summer heat, which we have now experienced there twice, as well as 2 winter visits. The staff were all very helpful and accommodating. The French Maitre D', whose name eludes me, was fantastic and so considerate and helpful. A real plus! My wife had a massage in the spa complex of the hotel across the road, and she was very pleased with the experiences a good indoor pool there too for those seeking a dip. The local bus goes right past the door every 30 minutes and right into the city centre, while a taxi only costs maximum 10 pounds each way. For my money, Middlethorpe is THE place to stay in the York area. Not cheap, but worth the experience!

Room tip: MUST stay in the old main house, not the modern annexe rooms.
Date of stay: July 2018